Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't have kids, why should I pay for vouchers for your kids?
You are going to pay one way or another.

You can push for educational reform to improve the quality of public education. The better is a better educated population that is more productive and less likely to be a drain on the economy.

OR:

You pay for the increased number of people who are incarcerated. The overwhelming number of people incarcerated in America have low educational attainment. It cost about $30,000 to $40,000 a year to incarcerate somebody.

You can pay for increased police resources to combat crime. Or, you can pay by being a victim of property or violent crime. You can pay in the form of increased housing cost as a premium for living in a low crime area.

You can pay for it economically in lost productivity as America competes with more countries with more educated populations around the world and continues to fall farther behind in global economic competitiveness.

You can pay in the form of higher taxes because the fewer people that are productive in society the greater the tax burden on those that are no matter how much you cut taxes.

Don't think you or anybody else isn't going to pay for either a quality educational system or the lack of it. The only question is how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Default actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Look, people...

Republicans won't be satisfied with that.

Republicans want to eliminate schools.
You have it so wrong, they want to eliminate the billions spent on nonsense that isn't working and put it towards something useful, before there are no funds for anything.

Last edited by Darkatt; 03-24-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
It is not insulting your intelligence if I am making my point to counter your assumptions that since I didn’t go to public school, I’m in no position to talk about it. That is a wrong assumption to make. And like I said, I teach three kids who were struggling with Math and Science. One of them (the oldest, 16) has been pretty close to being the rogue kid, with potential prison time in his future. I understand and know quite well what goes on and where we’re missing. I don’t have to be there to figure that out. Even in an elite environment, I saw a bit of that. In fact, a class mate of mine, a physician, has been to prison on sexual assault charges.

If politics and corporate welfare are left out of schools, a lot can be done without reinventing the wheel.
Ummmm...yea you do. You can read all about France and even learn the language. But unless you live there, you will never truly know France.

Does not mean you cannot form an opinion. You can form any opinion you want. Just understand why I know it to be completely wrong.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Almost everyone would prefer to go to school iin their own neighborhoods. Exceptions being those who prefer their kids to attend school close to where they work for easier access. That leaves a tiny number who want to go to school far away for whatever other reasons, and with everyone else where they want to be this wouldn't be much of a problem to accomodate. Of course, I expect everyone to get to where they want to go by themselves. Bus service? Why?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's not the kids from the slums who want to do better.
To paint an entire group of kids with the same brush purely based on where they live is epitome of bias. It's also the height of ignorance. Your comments fit the very definition of prejudice.

Entire Graduating Class of Urban Prep Charter Academy Accepted to College

Quote:
Chicago's Urban Prep Charter Academy has a mission -- for its students to graduate and succeed in college. Now, for the first graduating class at the high school, it's mission accomplished.

All 107 seniors were accepted to a four-year college, a significant accomplishment considering they are from one of the toughest neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago.

These are not so-called gifted kids at a private school. The public high school is open to all, choosing students by a lottery.

"It doesn't just happen that public urban schools graduate all of their students and get them into college," said Tim King, the school's founder.
For Second Year In a Row, Chicago's Urban Prep Academy Is Sending Its Entire Senior Class to College

Quote:
Last year, the school, founded by educator and nonprofit leader Tim King, did just that -- all 107 graduating seniors were accepted at the end of the year. And this year, Urban Prep has repeated its success.

"No other public [school] in the country has done this," King said, according to NBC.

Quote:
A High School Transformed

As a result, Taft has been transformed. Ten years ago the graduation rate was 18 percent. Now, 95 percent of the students graduate. The school, with an almost all-black student body closed the so-called racial achievement test gap. Taft students outscored white students in Ohio on the state's graduation tests in math, reading and science.
Harlem Success Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Results

For the end of the 2008–2009 school year, 95% of third-graders passed state English exams, whereas in nearby public schools only 56% of students passed, although a sixth of the public school students are non-English-speaking on arrival and percentage-wise a seventh more than HSA's are eligible for free school lunches,[11] the latter indicating poverty or near-poverty, but whether those disparities are enough to explain the difference in scores is not stated.

In statewide tests of third-graders in 2009 on combined subjects, Harlem Success Academy ranked 32nd out of almost 3500 schools. No student tested beneath basic standards and nearly half the students achieved the highest score (4 on a scale of 1–4).[23] In English alone, no pupil was below standard and nearly a quarter received the top score.[24] In math, no student was substandard and seven in ten got the top score, no school in the state doing better,[25] Harlem Success tying for no. 1. Harlem Success outdid its surrounding district in English by almost 25 percentage points.
Roxbury Preparatory Charter School (http://uncommonschools.org/rpcs/aboutUs/ - broken link)

Quote:
Roxbury Prep is founded on the philosophy that all students are entitled to and can succeed in college preparatory programs when: 1) the curriculum is rigorous, engaging, and well-planned; 2) the school emphasizes student character, community responsibility, and exposure to life’s possibilities; and 3) a community network supports student academic, social, and physical well-being. Roxbury Prep helps students gain admission to outstanding public and private college preparatory high schools.
http://uncommonschools.org/rpcs/ourResults/images/RP_Webgraphs_10102010.jpg (broken link)

http://uncommonschools.org/rpcs/ourResults/images/RP_Webgraphs_101020103.jpg (broken link)

http://uncommonschools.org/rpcs/ourResults/images/RP_Webgraphs_10182010.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's not the kids from the slums who want to do better.
"Principal Turns Around Failing High School, One Student at a Time]

Quote:
A High School Transformed

As a result, Taft has been transformed. Ten years ago the graduation rate was 18 percent. Now, 95 percent of the students graduate. The school, with an almost all-black student body closed the so-called racial achievement test gap. Taft students outscored white students in Ohio on the state's graduation tests in math, reading and science.
Harlem Success Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Results

For the end of the 2008–2009 school year, 95% of third-graders passed state English exams, whereas in nearby public schools only 56% of students passed, although a sixth of the public school students are non-English-speaking on arrival and percentage-wise a seventh more than HSA's are eligible for free school lunches,[11] the latter indicating poverty or near-poverty, but whether those disparities are enough to explain the difference in scores is not stated.

In statewide tests of third-graders in 2009 on combined subjects, Harlem Success Academy ranked 32nd out of almost 3500 schools. No student tested beneath basic standards and nearly half the students achieved the highest score (4 on a scale of 1–4).[23] In English alone, no pupil was below standard and nearly a quarter received the top score.[24] In math, no student was substandard and seven in ten got the top score, no school in the state doing better,[25] Harlem Success tying for no. 1. Harlem Success outdid its surrounding district in English by almost 25 percentage points.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ummmm...yea you do. You can read all about France and even learn the language. But unless you live there, you will never truly know France.

Does not mean you cannot form an opinion. You can form any opinion you want. Just understand why I know it to be completely wrong.
You are entitled to the opinion, I just disagree with it. And while there are aspects of France I will need to be there to experience, there are other aspects that don't require you to be there, physically, just knowledge. Or perhaps I buy too much into Einstein?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

It helps if imagination involves something around you, being surrounded by it and you doing your part as a contributor. No?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You are going to pay one way or another.

You can push for educational reform to improve the quality of public education. The better is a better educated population that is more productive and less likely to be a drain on the economy.

OR:

You pay for the increased number of people who are incarcerated. The overwhelming number of people incarcerated in America have low educational attainment. It cost about $30,000 to $40,000 a year to incarcerate somebody.
It is a no-brainer to pick between these two. The problem is not that, the problem is proposed solutions.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Only read the first page so forgive me if this was already brought up.

Environmentalist should be in favor of neighborhood school districts instead of busing to racially balance schools. This extended busing has two negative effects: first is increased fuel used and second is sleepy students. With such long bus routes, students have to get up earlier to catch the bus than if it were neighborhood districts. The in-equality of the school buildings and supplies can be lessoned through school funding based upon the number of students. That won't eliminate the differences of school income through student sales or donations from families and local businesses.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
You are entitled to the opinion, I just disagree with it. And while there are aspects of France I will need to be there to experience, there are other aspects that don't require you to be there, physically, just knowledge. Or perhaps I buy too much into Einstein?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

It helps if imagination involves something around you, being surrounded by it and you doing your part as a contributor. No?
Mine is based on actual experience, not imagination. Yours is the result of stilted observation from afar, debunked theory, wishful thinking, and a bizarre aversion to holding people responsible for their own actions. The soft bigotry of low expectations.

Unless tutoring your three pupils a few hours a week is truly equal to my 12 years in the Washington, DC Public School System.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies