Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Say, could you fly on out to Austin TX and convince those living there that they shouldn't care either ?

We already got one empty train that goes nowhere and they want to build a second.
ARe you talking about amtrak? The trouble with riding Amtrak is that it shares the rails with commercial carriers that have priority. I have heard that the train trip can be delayed on acct of it. I'm frankly surprised that anyone wouldn't want the ability to hop a train that would take you to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Asutin in a jiffy at a reasonable price. Southern Calif had some really good ones that connected LA, SD and Sta Barbara for very reasonable prices with no yielding to commercial carreiers. Do you remember back in the mid 80s when they were proposing a "bullet train" that would connect our major cities in Texas? The rumor is that Southwest Airlines killed it because it would kill their business.
With all the sheet that airports put us through these days, I would think that a leisurely ride on a train sans frisking would be really welcome regardless of political leaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Maybe it's because they value a lifestyle that isn't beholden to purchasing and burning hydrocarbons?
lol
I hope you don't own a car, or ride a bus, take the train, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because most democrats don't have a drivers license, either because they can't pass the test, or they're too broke to afford a car. You know, because they donate all of their money to the poor.
Quote:
Limousine liberals in other words. You know, the upper class liberals that tell us how to live, and that we must sacrifice and share the wealth. The same liberals that tell us we have to live in a maximum 3 bedroom, 1000 sq. ft. house with a 100 sq. ft. yard out in the back in order to "save the planet" while they buy huge energy consuming mansions in Malibu and the east coast, despite their doomsday predictions that sea levels are rising so rapidly that the coast will be swallowed in our lifetime? Those same liberals that preach we must live in a diverse and multicultural society, while those same liberals live in exclusive, gated communities surrounded by the same white people with the same or similar beliefs. Yeah, that's a real diverse neighborhood
Can't you guys better coordinate your offensive, cartoonish and ridiculous attacks so you don't contradict each other?

So which is it? Are we riding around in limos flaunting our wealth, while telling the rest of you how to live, or remaining at home cause we're too dumb to pass the driver's test and can't afford vehicles?

By the way did you make up the term limousine liberal yourself, or are you just repeating what you heard on Rush?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Why are liberals always trying to force buses, rail systems, bike lanes, etc. down our throats when we're clearly an automobile-centric society? Why are liberals always trying to coerce people out of their automobiles and onto trains like cattle by enacting high gasoline taxes, using highway funds to subsidize mass transit, and by tearing down roadways to build bicycle lanes? Why is it that liberals have such contempt for private automobiles?

And don't give me this garbage about how we're all gonna die because cars cause "global warming". First of all, automobiles don't pollute (CO2 is not a pollutant), second there's no such thing as global warming, everyone knows it's just a scheme for rich liberals in the government to further enrich themselves by taxing us all into poverty in the name of "saving the planet."
Third, we're not running out of oil. On the contrary, there's an abundance of oil. The only problem is that we rely almost 100% on an unstable part of the world to meet our oil supply needs. We could drill our own oil, but for decades liberals have cut off our access to our own oil because they say it's bad for the environment. Either way, there's more than enough oil. Most liberals wish we would run out of oil, but it's ain't happening.

Oil is efficient, clean, cheap, and renewable, and it's the lifeblood of our economy. Private automobiles represent freedom, individual liberty, private property, and free enterprise. We would never be such a prosperous society without the invention of automobiles. With automobiles, we can go where we want, when we want, how fast we want, in the comfort and privacy of our own car. It seems to me liberals want to take that freedom away from us and make us all beholden to the government for our transportation needs.

I guess it makes sense, since this only makes it easier for liberals to enslave us to a large, central, authoritarian government. Like liberal economic policies that ensure everyone has the same amount of wealth, no matter how hard they work, socialized (public) transportation ensures everyone has the limited mobility, no matter how much money they have. Ergo, we can't all be rich, so no one should be allowed to be rich. We can't all own fancy cars, so no one should be allowed to own a car (with the exception of rich liberals of course). Rich liberals are always the exception to their own rules. Rich liberals are allowed to have billions of dollars and pay less taxes than the middle class. They're allowed to ride around in limousines while us plebes are forced by the government to ride around packed in buses like cattle. Maybe that's the real reason liberals want to abolish private automobiles, so that they can have the roads all to themselves, and the peasants are forced into buses and trains. Discuss.
So they can control travel! Why else push so hard for it especially right now when we have NO MONEY

Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Maybe it's because they value a lifestyle that isn't beholden to purchasing and burning hydrocarbons?
Wow.

That sounded VERY manly!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There is so much wrong here I don't know where to begin.

It looks like some on the rightwing have stopped separating what is true from what they wish to be true.

Oil is a renewable resource? Really?

Since you choose not to believe the science behind climate change, believe that oil is cheap and renewable, I'm not sure any level of sane, reasonable, or even intellectual argument will convince you.

Rich liberals riding in limousines? Really...
Once you hear someone say the "liberals, liberals, liberals!" garbage over and over it's pretty much a dead giveaway you're dealing with the inbred/trailer park right wing radicals.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Once you hear someone say the "liberals, liberals, liberals!" garbage over and over it's pretty much a dead giveaway you're dealing with the inbred/trailer park right wing radicals.
If that's not an example of a bigoted, insensitive, intolerant statement, then I don't know what is. I thought lefties are supposed to be warm and fuzzy, open-minded, tolerant, and accepting individuals?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
lol
I hope you don't own a car, or ride a bus, take the train, etc.
I said beholden to. I didn't say devoid of.

I have friends have who live 60 miles from their place of work. I find that untenable. My preference is for my workplace to be within a 30 minute walk of where I live. I do have a car (an SUV even). I use if for an occasional trip to the mountains to go skiing or camping.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Can't you guys better coordinate your offensive, cartoonish and ridiculous attacks so you don't contradict each other?

So which is it? Are we riding around in limos flaunting our wealth, while telling the rest of you how to live, or remaining at home cause we're too dumb to pass the driver's test and can't afford vehicles?

By the way did you make up the term limousine liberal yourself, or are you just repeating what you heard on Rush?
Rich democrats ride in limo's because they can't pass the drivers test.

Where's the contradiction?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Rich democrats ride in limo's because they can't pass the drivers test.

Where's the contradiction?
Do you really believe this or are you just interested in attempting to bait those who disagree with you politically in to arguing with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies