Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
What if it paid for itself eventually?
Define "eventually" please. Public transportation projects have been in place for what, 100 years or so? Have they paid for themselves (as in don't have to be continually funded by the taxpayer) yet? Do we give them another 20 years? 50? 500?

Lets figure out how to make the existing ones not run at a loss. Not make money, but not loose it either. Then we should be able to discuss expansion of these programs, and not before.

To paraphrase-Insanity, doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Lets not go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why does the OP assume fear is at the base of everything from the political side with which she disagrees ? Projection?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Define "eventually" please. Public transportation projects have been in place for what, 100 years or so? Have they paid for themselves (as in don't have to be continually funded by the taxpayer) yet? Do we give them another 20 years? 50? 500?

Lets figure out how to make the existing ones not run at a loss. Not make money, but not loose it either. Then we should be able to discuss expansion of these programs, and not before.

To paraphrase-Insanity, doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Lets not go there.
Indeed. Has Amtrak ever been self sufficient and able to run without federal subsidy?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
You're attempting to divert attention from the fact that motor vehicle users pay a great deal of tax on fuel.
You’re assuming that they are the only ones paying. Gasoline tax came about, and continues to be a tax on gasoline. Only a quarter century later, a trust fund based on this tax was added to support highway construction and maintenance. It was never meant to be 100% for roads only. Where do you get THAT idea from? Besides, do you really believe that gasoline taxes (and all of it) could be used to do the job you believe it was meant to? Explain to me, the reason behind toll roads then.
Quote:
Partially, for indeed without revenue one cannot spend; unless of course, all monitary power is turned over to the FED to print money and indebt the American people without representation. Then inflation becomes the means through which revenue is raised and wealth redistributed.
A post worthy of being, and discussed, in a different thread, not here.
Quote:
This is exactly why the US Constitution limits the power of the federal government to spend and why taxation and spending under the so-called "general welfare clause" is the biggest myth of all.
I don’t see such limits in the constitution. Remember, those who wrote the constitution couldn’t find a way to reduce debt either.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Indeed. Has Amtrak ever been self sufficient and able to run without federal subsidy?
interesting story on the history of amtrak funding
Amtrak: Definition from Answers.com

Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don’t see such limits in the constitution. Remember, those who wrote the constitution couldn’t find a way to reduce debt either.
I suggest you re-read the constitution

Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:

Look, I am not a transportation planner, nor do I expect every transport project o be funded immediately OR paid off by tax payers within 10 years.

About your questions, have public transport projects paid for themselves yet? I don't know. I have honestly not looked it up.

But have you looked up how the public transport system of Amsterdam or Stockholm or Berlin or any other European hub is faring? Are all of them in dismal failure? Have any of them seen success? Even in just getting local citizens to use their cars less?

I think this is a missing piece for many debators against public transport- they are so hel* bent on figuring out how public transport did not work out that they completely miss out how it did. I am not a statistician. Please do not demand that info of me. If you are interested, figure it out yourself smarty. In the meantime, what is your point and angle? Even if you are pumping for car use, there is a lot of interesting angles to get involved with the public transport model that will not leave you so alienated

Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Surprise! Some right wingers actually ride public transport from their suburban homes! It is actually faster. There is a related thread and one of the posts implies it is a problem because the poor ride it. Some conservatives allow that public transport should be provided as a public charity, using the most dilapidated buses to ensure nobody else will use it. And forget rail. It has the annoying effect of attracting middle class riders.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Why does the OP assume fear is at the base of everything from the political side with which she disagrees ? Projection?
Because the left is governed by their emotion, and not by reason.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Judging by the number of posts on here from the right wing disparaging public transportation, I must wonder (applying the same logic that the right wing frequently applies to Sarah Palin and the religious right): Why is the right wing afraid of public transportation?
To answer your question pointedly -

Live in Boston, where I have used public transportation, although I avoid it like the plague. Reasons -

1. The T cars stink, hate the smell
2. I hate being packed like I am in a cattle car
3. My wife is claustrophobic and the T travels underground, the one time she did ride it caught fire underground and that was not pretty
4. Unpredictable breakdowns, more than a car during bad weather
5. I prefer to blare my radio as I drive, and don't like using an IPOD or head sets
6. I can afford to pay to park daily

Wish they would use more of my tax dollars to repair rods and less to subsidize mass transport that I don't use..nor care to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies