Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,784,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
We have had a monorail here for 20+ years. I think 12 people have ridden it so far. Maybe if I ever went where this 'Pubic Transportation' went, I might support it. But, it never has (or will), and neither will I.
What Monorail is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,747,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Get it right.Anything the state runs is ultimately a fail.
People good to fight.
Private enterprise good to make policies and run the show.
State sits back and watches the two at work.

So, Mussolini had it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You ever try bringing a load of 2X4's home on the bus?
Is that why you're afraid of public transportation?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,359,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I was pointing out that the Bush tax cuts-which most conservatives wholeheartedly endorse-are a wealth redistribution scheme.

The difference is, they have redistributed wealth from the lower and middle classes to the already rich.
Actually, if you would take the time to research before posting, you'd know that the "Bush Tax Cuts" were across all income levels. And on a percentage basis, the lower incomes gained far more than the higher ones did. And that a far greater number of people were able to get away with paying NO taxes (due to increases in personal exemptions and deductions) than before. But don't let a good myth get ruined by facts if it makes you feel good. You sound like one of them thair religious nuts, but with a different god.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,359,834 times
To those supporting public transportation, please post a number (lets say 5) major systems that are revenue neutral, that would be without taxpayer subsidies. If that can be done, maybe we can look at what they are doing and see how to expand it to other areas. Otherwise, why would we consider expansion of a program if it continues to be a hole we pour money into? If systems are loosing money, we need to figure out what to do differently with them.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,401,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I was pointing out that the Bush tax cuts-which most conservatives wholeheartedly endorse-are a wealth redistribution scheme.

The difference is, they have redistributed wealth from the lower and middle classes to the already rich.
uhm

HOW were the bush tax cuts/credits a 'wealth distribution ''scheme'''???

the cuts/credits were mostly FOR the poor and middleclass

the 'rich' (any household over 175k) count NOT get the credits

the real question is WHY would ANYBODY be wanting to PAY 30% of your income to the government....its not their money

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 AM

which would you rather....... I live 12 miles from work...........
1) to drivewhen there is no traffic (maybe 2am) it would take me 15 minutes.....but during rush hour it takes me almost 1 hr, I use a tank of gas (14 gallons) a week (at $3/gallon, that's $42 a week or 168 a month)....................
or.....
2)...to take mass transit I would have to DRIVE 3 miles to the trainstation(belmore), then wait for a train, to get to the terminal (jamaica station) to wait to get picked up the subway (to flushing), then hop on a bus to get to work, and it would take me over 2 and a half hours......and a monthly ticket for the long island railroad is over $300 a month...plus the subway and the bus

that is the problem with mass transit ( its at least twice the time and 4 times the cost) unless you live and work only blocks away

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

HOW were the bush tax cuts/credits a 'wealth distribution ''scheme'''???

the cuts/credits were mostly FOR the poor and middleclass

the 'rich' (any household over 175k) count NOT get the credits

the real question is WHY would ANYBODY be wanting to PAY 30% of your income to the government....its not their money
Prove it.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
To those supporting public transportation, please post a number (lets say 5) major systems that are revenue neutral, that would be without taxpayer subsidies. If that can be done, maybe we can look at what they are doing and see how to expand it to other areas. Otherwise, why would we consider expansion of a program if it continues to be a hole we pour money into? If systems are loosing money, we need to figure out what to do differently with them.
Explain first, how you would define revenue and tax payer subsidies. Then, what do you expect such calculation of revenue neutrality to entail. Please use highway to make for your case (an example of public transportation infrastructure), and I will then do the same for a light rail service.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Prove it.
prove it???

have you done taxes in the last 10 years???

the taxe CUTS were across the board..and the BIGGEST cuts were in the BOTTOM END...ie the 15% bracket (the poor) now are at a 10% bracket...the rich's cut was from 39% to 36%

want more proof

the credits (child care credit, child credit, education tuition credit, retirement (401K CONTRIBUTION ) credit, the HEALTH COST credit, and the ENERGYWISE (for new windowd, doors, insulation, heater, water heaters ect) CREDIT...were only ALLOWED TO THOSE WITH A HOUSEHOLD INCOME UNDER 179K

I have done my own taxes for the last 30 years

the liberals/media spin of 'tax cuts for the rich'...is a LIE

Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
prove it???

have you done taxes in the last 10 years???

the taxe CUTS were across the board..and the BIGGEST cuts were in the BOTTOM END...ie the 15% bracket (the poor) now are at a 10% bracket...the rich's cut was from 39% to 36%

want more proof

the credits (child care credit, child credit, education tuition credit, retirement (401K CONTRIBUTION ) credit, the HEALTH COST credit, and the ENERGYWISE (for new windowd, doors, insulation, heater, water heaters ect) CREDIT...were only ALLOWED TO THOSE WITH A HOUSEHOLD INCOME UNDER 179K

I have done my own taxes for the last 30 years

the liberals/media spin of 'tax cuts for the rich'...is a LIE
I asked for proof, as in real numbers that backs your claim not more of the usual babbling. Got any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies