Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I know lots of young single gay people who don't. They meet other gay people through sports, activities, clubs, friends, work etc.
That may work in Sydney but it doesn't in red state America. Around here you have two choices...the gay clubs or online hookup websites, both of which promote promiscuity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Again, a double standard comes clearly on display. Conservative Christians can go around all day insulting Muslims, gays, cohabitating couples, the non-religious, and quite a voluminous list of other folks - because they are only "doing it out of love and compassion!" They want to save us from Hell and all that jazz. Actually, according to their twisted logic they're not even "insulting us" - they are "speaking from Love" or "compassionately showing the way of Jesus", or some similar crap.

The very moment that Christianity is criticized, the commentary is noted as "offensive." In the olden times this was known as blashpemy, and the world's good Christian folk managed to murder quite a few people for doing so - before those darned secularists and all their silly talk of "human rights" got in the way. Conservative, fundamentalist Muslims still haven't advanced to this stage (proof: the Middle East.)

So long as Christianity is being used as a weapon to try to attack my civil rights and impugn me as a decent person, it's fair game. If fundamentalist Christians didn't want their religion being aggressively attacked, they should have kept it in the church and the home - where it belongs.
No, not at all, nobody has said anything near as offensive and disgusting as that Christians go to church to worship a rotting corpse on a stick. There is no comparison as to how deeply offensive that is.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you wouldn't talk to me yesterday because I didn't capitalize "god" plus we are off topic. I would say you don't know your bible very well if you don't know there are passages in the bible that can be interpreted to condone bigotry of race. but this thread is for gay marriage/chrisitain not bible teaching. we have a religion folder for that.
Yes, it is OT, so why did you bring it up? I was addressing something you said that was inaccurate, and now you want to cry foul?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That may work in Sydney but it doesn't in red state America. Around here you have two choices...the gay clubs or online hookup websites, both of which promote promiscuity.
That's why gays tend to flock to urban areas like SF, NYC, Seattle, and Atlanta - more like minded people makes being gay somewhat less of a burden.

I have to hand it to gays who stay in the South. That to me is like a gay renting a room from Fred Phelps.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, not at all, nobody has said anything near as offensive and disgusting as that Christians go to church to worship a rotting corpse on a stick. There is no comparison as to how deeply offensive that is.
"offensive" is subjective a hurtful, nasty slur is no less hurtful to one group than another. your posts seem to lack empathy for most people and situations. the world does not revolve around any one person even if we think it does.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yes, it is OT, so why did you bring it up? I was addressing something you said that was inaccurate, and now you want to cry foul?
you didn't "address" anything except to try to divert my point and question my beliefs. I never lie so the post was the truth.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
I appreciate your response. If there is one thing I have learned in this day and age, it is that both science, and the supposed facts of our day are subject to question. For every theory, there is an opposing theory. There are medical professionals who have opposing theories on the causative factors related to the development of illnesses in the human body all the time. By this I am in no way categorizing homosexuality as a disease, but I am not discounting other facts presented by professionals who still hold to the notion that homosexuality is a behavioral disorder, or by Christians who believe that same sex relationships are unnatural.

In the late 60's to early 70's, homosexuality was not new, but society was becoming more familiar with statistics, opinions and psychological viewpoints regarding the relatively new demographic. Books were published, public and political opinion began to change, and homosexuals began 'coming out' in greater numbers, with greater support.

One of the books, published in the 70's, helped to familiarize the public with the invented term homophobia, used to describe individuals maintaining opposing opinions and supposed irrational fears surrounding homosexuality. Seeing the handwriting on the wall, the American Psychiatric Assoc. bowed out in 1973 when homosexuality was declassified as a behavioral/mental disorder. Tests up to that point were inconclusive and very theoretical which would not have prompted the organization to make such a radical 180 degree turn. Because of governmental support, the shift in public opinion, and the eagerness of constituent pleasing politicians, tests which supported homosexuality as a normal type of sexual orientation began to take center stage and in some cases actually replaced opposing facts and theories. Political correctness won the day, but what is popular is not always right, and unfortunately what is right is not always popular.

In essence, the APA took a dive. Gay activists, capitalizing on the APA's supposed 'new revelation' regarding homosexuality, began to move forward with their agenda. These 'fringe religious groups' you described are actually Christians making up a large percentage of the population of our nation, and the world, who, as I like to describe it, 'didn't drink the kool aid', and who still firmly believe that same sex relationships are wrong according to scripture, but people will of course make their behavioral choices which cannot be controlled by any of us. As I’ve said before, this does not make homosexuality a super-sin, but simply one more way that man is determined to willfully oppose biblical instruction.

Friend, there are at least two major deceptions that have overtaken our society, one was perpetrated by the Federal Reserve, and the other was initiated by the American Psychiatric Association, and there doesn’t appear to be any course correction expected from either in the near future.
Well said, despite the objections from the peanut gallery.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You don't have to have sex to be homosexual. Just as you don't have to have sex to be heterosexual. Sexual orientation is not just about having sex.
Right

Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
you didn't "address" anything except to try to divert my point and question my beliefs. I never lie so the post was the truth.
And I never lie, so what's your point?

Quote:
"offensive" is subjective a hurtful, nasty slur is no less hurtful to one group than another. your posts seem to lack empathy for most people and situations. the world does not revolve around any one person even if we think it does.
Yep, "offensive" is subjective. I find the gay lifestyle to be offensive, but that doesn't stop anybody from behaving in that manner. I also don't slur people the way that Christians are regularly slurred throughout C-D, particularly by gay posters.

My posts don't lack empathy, if I have a problem with empathy, it's that I have too much of it. Just b/c you disagree with me doesn't mean you know me, nor does it mean that what you say about me is true.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM

36 posts, read 25,280 times
Pleasure without purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies