Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town in North DAkota. I live near my family. Here all we do is work, watch tv, go grocery shopping, go out with friends etc. My family is all straight and my friends are mostly straight. My lifestyle isn't any different than any of theirs, except that I"m more conservative than all of my friends. I'm against casual sex (for myself) i don't care if others do it, that's their business. I have a degree in religion and I'm pretty shy and introverted and stay home a lot watching TV and reading. I keep hearing Christians mention a 'gay lifestyle'. I keep wondering what it is, so that I can learn about it. Being gay is a PART of who I am, like my hair color. It was not chosen. I wish someone would explain to me what they mean by the 'gay lifestyle'. I have never got any specific answers, yet people claim to know what my lifestyle is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
whatever you're doing is a gay lifestyle because you're gay and you can do whatever you want. Yours isn't the typical gay lifestyle but there is nothing wrong w/ that if it makes you happy.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
What do the Muslims say?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Christians, Muslims, crystal worshippers or athiests, these public events don't exactly help anyone's cause:

Warning NSFW or children (imo regarding the children, ymmv)

Up Your Alley Fair, San Francisco, July 27, 2008 Part 1

Or, this soiree

Folsom Street Fair, San Francisco, September 30, 2007 Part 1

Mind you, these were public

Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
whatever you're doing is a gay lifestyle because you're gay and you can do whatever you want. Yours isn't the typical gay lifestyle but there is nothing wrong w/ that if it makes you happy.
So what is the "typical gay lifestyle" supposed to be?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Christians, Muslims, crystal worshippers or athiests, these public events don't exactly help anyone's cause:

Warning NSFW or children (imo regarding the children, ymmv)

Up Your Alley Fair, San Francisco, July 27, 2008 Part 1

Or, this soiree

Folsom Street Fair, San Francisco, September 30, 2007 Part 1

Mind you, these were public
That's a Bondage and Discipline fair - attended by both straight and gay people who are into leather and bondage.

That has as much to do with the average gay or lesbian person as it does the average straight person. Frankly nothing.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

probably whatever i'm doing is just my lifestyle, it has nothing to do with being gay. does every heterosexual share a lifestyle?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
What do the Muslims say?
What does that have to do with it? two groups both saying lies are both wrong. what's your point?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Just like anyone else except for choice of sex partner.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:12 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Default What Is The Gay Lifestyle?

Ok, I'll give it a stab.. .

Of course most Christians don't have much daily exposure to gays and their lifestyle so they go by what they read and hear in the media.

I remember waay back in the 1980's when HIV was first discovered that a non-fiction book came out, "And The Band Played On."

It was quite an expose on homosexuality, and yes, "The gay lifestyle"
The media played it up. It may have been one of the first times that large amounts of straight people got a look at what this lifestyle encompasses. Now please, don't jump on me and say that is not the lifestyle blah blah blah.
Here is a quote:

An openly homosexual writer for the San Francisco Chronicle and the nation’ s first full-time AIDS reporter, Shilts names names, slams reputations, and yet poignantly testifies to those few who fought desperately to get the band’s attention and those who died horribly while it continued to play.
Introducing the members of the band: "Fast lane" homosexuals. Some homosexuals racked up as many as a mind-boggling 20,000 sexual partners, engaging in high-risk (receptive anal) acts long after it became apparent that a fatal illness was spreading through the homosexual populations of New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Scoffing at advice to limit partners and avoid such activity, many homosexuals continued going to bathhouses, readily infecting themselves with the AIDS virus and passing it on to others.
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know if the OP was being genuine when he inquired what the gay lifestyle is or was just trying to bait people. But I think you can see that if people who have no exposure to gays read this book they could be quite shocked. If this book was the first time people had a peak into gays and their lifestyle you can I'm sure understand the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies