Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
If anti-abortion activists can picket in front of abortion centers, harrassing women who are making one of the most difficult decisions in their life, then gay rights groups should be allowed to picket in front of any store they want.

I hate the "special" treatment religious organizations get in this country. Such hypocrasy.
I believe the allegation is that this group was inside Target stores cornering patrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Target sues San Diego gay rights group - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110325/ap_on_re_us/us_target_lawsuit - broken link)

Good for Target! Customers shouldn't be hassled by various groups.
I agree. I think this bullying has gotten way out of control. Companies need to stop being intimidated by special interest groups and realize that the majority of Americans will still frequent their businesses even if they don't support every PC cause.

The disgusting Lady GaGa recently pulled out of a deal with Target because Target happened to donate some money to a candidate who did not show support for Gay Marriage. She was demanding Target mend their ways, apologize and go her way or the highway. Guess they chose the "high" way. Target's win. No one should be bullied. Hey, don't we have a national anti-bullying program coming to our schools? Guess some people need to go back to school!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I believe the allegation is that this group was inside Target stores cornering patrons.
Can't the local police stop them then? Anybody know the answer? I thought if you are on someone's personal property, without their consent, they can get the cops to make you leave. It doesnt sound like that happened.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
You mean like the Christofascists are out of control with their bigotry and ignorance?

Here's hoping that the court rules in favor of the canvassers. As stated in the link, the courts have ruled in the past that people have a right to canvass in a public square, like a shopping center.

Also, I wonder if Target would do the same if the people in front were conservatives...
a shopping center is a public square? You sure about that? I've never seen a shopping center that was paid for by taxpayers. Every one I've seen was private property and paid for by private companies or private investment groups.
Nice try, though.. as for me, just another reason to shop at Target. Always have and will continue to do so.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
a shopping center is a public square? You sure about that? I've never seen a shopping center that was paid for by taxpayers. Every one I've seen was private property and paid for by private companies or private investment groups.
Nice try, though.. as for me, just another reason to shop at Target. Always have and will continue to do so.
Here's a good article if you want to read about the legal issues and history about this topic:

Why can shopping malls limit free speech? - By Dahlia Lithwick - Slate Magazine

Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 AM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
Quote:
It alleges in the lawsuit that the San Diego group's activists harass customers by cornering them near its stores' front entrances and debating with them about their views on gay marriage.
What a great opportunity to say-- No hablo ingles!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That is incorrect. As stated in the OP they had a table outside the entrance to the story and attempted to pass out fliers about Target's support and funding of anti-gay groups in various states. Since I live in San Diego I've seen them at my local Target and I find it extremely hard to believe a guy sitting at a table off to one side "cornered" anyone. Instead, you'd usually see the homophobic bigots start shouting anti-gay garbage and than get upset when the gay guy calmly proves all of their supposed points wrong.

Homophobes, unhappy about losing a debate they initiated, than claim they were "corned" by a guy siting in a chair. That's just BS as any honest person would admit.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
What a great opportunity to say-- No hablo ingles!!!!!!!!!
Not a chance, I love speaking my mind when people try to push their views on me in cases like this. Just get out of my way, trust me you don't want to get me started out in public in front of a Target store.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That is incorrect. As stated in the OP they had a table outside the entrance to the story and attempted to pass out fliers about Target's support and funding of anti-gay groups in various states. Since I live in San Diego I've seen them at my local Target and I find it extremely hard to believe a guy sitting at a table off to one side "cornered" anyone. Instead, you'd usually see the homophobic bigots start shouting anti-gay garbage and than get upset when the gay guy calmly proves all of their supposed points wrong.

Homophobes, unhappy about losing a debate they initiated, than claim they were "corned" by a guy siting in a chair. That's just BS as any honest person would admit.
Then he was on private property and therefore he was trespassing harassing customers.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Except the private property is owned by the company that owns the shopping mall and not by Target. Also the state supreme court has ruled that public spaces, including privately owned spaces open to the public (like shopping malls), have to either not let anyone promote issues on the property or they have to let everyone do so but they can't pick and choose. They have to let everyone do it or no one do it. I know for a fact they let other groups do it because I've seen them in front of Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies