Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times

Advertisements

Knife not being open, and it's a wood carving knife? I don't think so.

How long does it take to open a knife anyways? not long.....

How is the police officer supposed to know that a man cannot hear in one ear, and even if that's true, did the other ear just stop working?

I support the officer on this, and in his shoes I would have done the same thing. Better my opponent to be a statistic than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The article explained why there was no prosecution;
There was evidence of neither malice nor bad faith.
The Bush regime opened up the whole stupidity defense tactic.

You just can't prosecute someone for a stupid act.

The stupidity defense presumes no malice and no bad faith because a stupid person doesn't have enough brain cells to act willfully.

It probably started with Ollie North.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The Bush regime opened up the whole stupidity defense tactic.

You just can't prosecute someone for a stupid act.

The stupidity defense presumes no malice and no bad faith because a stupid person doesn't have enough brain cells to act willfully.

It probably started with Ollie North.

By the way, this is Sarah Palin's offering to the powers that be.

She doesn't hafta act.

She's got the character for which they seek.

Legal immunity.

Last edited by ergohead; 03-26-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Had some run-ins with LE ?
Pretty much.

After the event, I was advised by the Captain that, "if he tries it again, drop your hands to your sides and run into a group of scientists".

Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I hope you are not a cop. If the cop had to shoot the wood carver, why not shoot him in the leg?
I will tell this. It easier said than done.
I trained with a 45 pistol while i was in the Army. It is not easy to hit a target even if it is still.

Second, a drunk guy as drunk as he may be can still harm with a knife. I am currently attending a Citizens Police Academy. This Saturday they gave us a good class on the use of force.
They covered the concept behind it. They showed us movies of actual events where people seem so harmless, drunk, and inocent and in a split second they end up harming or killing and officer.

Drunk people or people on drugs in some cases do not feel the pain of a shot and still be a threat to the officer, take care.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I bet everything you know about firearms you learned from movies, television, or gun banning propaganda. Clue: it doesn't work that way.

An individual within 25' with a knife drawn (open or fixed blade) can reach the person holding the firearm faster (in most cases) than the individual can draw and fire the first shot (unsighted fire). Thus, the object is to STOP the threat. Shooting someone in the leg does not STOP the threat.

Thus endeth the lesson.
I am glad you mentione that. This Saturday the officer had a demonstration where one of us played the attacker from 25 feet with a rubber knife and the cop told us to stop and let go of the knife. We ran towards the officer and by the time he actually had the gun pointing at us we were already about a couple of feet away from him. Sure, he may hit us with a shot but we still had the distance to stab him, take care.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I will tell this. It easier said than done.
I trained with a 45 pistol while i was in the Army. It is not easy to hit a target even if it is still.

Second, a drunk guy as drunk as he may be can still harm with a knife. I am currently attending a Citizens Police Academy. This Saturday they gave us a good class on the use of force.
They covered the concept behind it. They showed us movies of actual events where people seem so harmless, drunk, and inocent and in a split second they end up harming or killing and officer.

Drunk people or people on drugs in some cases do not feel the pain of a shot and still be a threat to the officer, take care.

Pweuuut!

This ain't Lucky Lager!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_q8xnTbJk

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Pweuuut!

This ain't Lucky Lager!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_q8xnTbJk
Good video to see. In some of the videos they showed us of real life events they showed how some drunk guys were still a threat after a couple of shots, take care.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg announces criminal charges will not be filed against Seattle police Officer Ian Birk in the fatal shooting of woodcarver John T. Williams, during a news conference on Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 in Seattle. Washington law protects police officers from a homicide charge unless there’s evidence of malice or bad faith, Satterberg said at a news conference. Satterberg called the Aug. 30 shooting of John T. Williams by Officer Ian Birk troubling and said Birk may be disciplined by the Seattle Police Department, and the city could face a civil lawsuit.

Seattle cop in woodcarver death won't be charged - Spokesman Mobile - Feb. 16, 2011

He told the guy to put the knife down, a couple of times. It was a 3 inch carving knife used to carve wood, which is kind of convenient because he carved wod for a living. The guy was half deaf and drunk from what I've read. He wasn't a saint, had a rap sheet, etc. The cop told him to drop it, he gave him about 4 seconds to comply......which he didn't do, so the cop shot him.

Four times. In the chest. The knife wasn't even open. Guess the officer thought the old drunk homeless geezer with a closed 3 inch bladed knife was a little too much to handle.

February 16, 2011 11:57 a.m. - Updated: 10:48 p.m.
SEATTLE (AP) — Prosecutors said Wednesday they won’t criminally charge a Seattle police officer who shot and killed a knife-wielding, homeless woodcarver during a brief encounter on a street corner in a case that has prompted angry protests and calls for increased scrutiny of police tactics.
Officer Ian Birk, who had been on paid leave since the Aug. 30 shooting, resigned hours after King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg’s announcement.
Relatives and other supporters of John T. Williams had asked Satterberg to charge Birk, 27, with manslaughter, saying Williams didn’t pose a threat to the officer. The officer said he fired only after Williams failed to drop the three-inch knife despite being repeatedly ordered to do so.
At a news conference, Satterberg said the shooting was a “good faith mistake, however tragic” and no charges would be filed.

Video: Cop shoots deaf knife-holding woodcarver

Here's the PDF of the reasons they decided not to prosecute.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...erg-letter.pdf

1. Mr. Williams appeared intoxicated or mentally ill
2. he failed to respond to commands to drop the knife
3. he turned toward Birk with that kife once Birk was
already close to him
4. Mr. Williams had his hand with the knife raised
5. Mr. Williams had a blank stare on his face
6.Mr Williams clenched his jaw and shifted his weight as if he were going to attack
7 Birk feared an assault was imminent

It's not the first time.
Local News | $10M settlement for man shoved into wall by King Co. deputy; jurors react to video | Seattle Times Newspaper

Won't be the last. I wonder how many more $10 million dollar lawsuits us taxpayers will end up paying for.

The last link has a video of the cop slamming the man into a concrete wall. He told the paramedics the man ran into the wall head frst.

If you had a three inch folding knife in your hand and a cop had a gun pointing at you what would you do? I would drop the knife.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 AM

"Here's the PDF of the reasons they decided not to prosecute.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...erg-letter.pdf (broken link)

1. Mr. Williams appeared intoxicated or mentally ill
2. he failed to respond to commands to drop the knife
3. he turned toward Birk with that kife once Birk was
already close to him
4. Mr. Williams had his hand with the knife raised
5. Mr. Williams had a blank stare on his face
6.Mr Williams clenched his jaw and shifted his weight as if he were going to attack
7 Birk feared an assault was imminent "

THIS IS THE COP'S STORY.

THE OTHER WITNESS IS DEAD.

HOW CONVENIENT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies