U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,829,760 times
Reputation: 6359

Advertisements

King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg announces criminal charges will not be filed against Seattle police Officer Ian Birk in the fatal shooting of woodcarver John T. Williams, during a news conference on Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 in Seattle. Washington law protects police officers from a homicide charge unless there’s evidence of malice or bad faith, Satterberg said at a news conference. Satterberg called the Aug. 30 shooting of John T. Williams by Officer Ian Birk troubling and said Birk may be disciplined by the Seattle Police Department, and the city could face a civil lawsuit.

Seattle cop in woodcarver death won't be charged - Spokesman Mobile - Feb. 16, 2011


*********************
He told the guy to put the knife down, a couple of times. It was a 3 inch carving knife used to carve wood, which is kind of convenient because he carved wod for a living. The guy was half deaf and drunk from what I've read. He wasn't a saint, had a rap sheet, etc. The cop told him to drop it, he gave him about 4 seconds to comply......which he didn't do, so the cop shot him.

Four times. In the chest. The knife wasn't even open. Guess the officer thought the old drunk homeless geezer with a closed 3 inch bladed knife was a little too much to handle.


*******************************************
February 16, 2011 11:57 a.m. - Updated: 10:48 p.m.
SEATTLE (AP) — Prosecutors said Wednesday they won’t criminally charge a Seattle police officer who shot and killed a knife-wielding, homeless woodcarver during a brief encounter on a street corner in a case that has prompted angry protests and calls for increased scrutiny of police tactics.
Officer Ian Birk, who had been on paid leave since the Aug. 30 shooting, resigned hours after King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg’s announcement.
Relatives and other supporters of John T. Williams had asked Satterberg to charge Birk, 27, with manslaughter, saying Williams didn’t pose a threat to the officer. The officer said he fired only after Williams failed to drop the three-inch knife despite being repeatedly ordered to do so.
At a news conference, Satterberg said the shooting was a “good faith mistake, however tragic” and no charges would be filed.


Video: Cop shoots deaf knife-holding woodcarver



Here's the PDF of the reasons they decided not to prosecute.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...erg-letter.pdf

1. Mr. Williams appeared intoxicated or mentally ill
2. he failed to respond to commands to drop the knife
3. he turned toward Birk with that kife once Birk was
already close to him
4. Mr. Williams had his hand with the knife raised
5. Mr. Williams had a blank stare on his face
6.Mr Williams clenched his jaw and shifted his weight as if he were going to attack
7 Birk feared an assault was imminent

It's not the first time.
Local News | $10M settlement for man shoved into wall by King Co. deputy; jurors react to video | Seattle Times Newspaper

Won't be the last. I wonder how many more $10 million dollar lawsuits us taxpayers will end up paying for.

The last link has a video of the cop slamming the man into a concrete wall. He told the paramedics the man ran into the wall head frst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,927 times
Reputation: 3192
The carotid artery is a lot less than three inches from the surface of your neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,945 posts, read 22,257,781 times
Reputation: 9051
If a non-LEO did that they'd likely be facing charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,927 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If a non-LEO did that they'd likely be facing charges.
I'm not so sure about that...

But they would be facing a civil wrongful death suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,480 posts, read 6,197,320 times
Reputation: 6959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I'm not so sure about that...

But they would be facing a civil wrongful death suit.
And I'm sure the municipality will be sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,927 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
And I'm sure the municipality will be sued.
That is a certainty.

Deeper pockets. Lawyering 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,386,815 times
Reputation: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The carotid artery is a lot less than three inches from the surface of your neck.
i think he'd actually have to open the knife and attack the cop for his carotid artery to be harmed. i don't think a man holding a closed knife nearby can cause you harm.

if he does decide to open the knife then i could see shooting him, in the leg...


if you can't protect yourself from a 50 yr old deaf guy with 3 inch knife with the blade closed without killing said man than you're way too pathetic and weak to be a cop.

the man should be charged with murder, screw manslaughter, that man was murdered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 8,049,330 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg announces criminal charges will not be filed against Seattle police Officer Ian Birk in the fatal shooting of woodcarver John T. Williams, during a news conference on Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 in Seattle. Washington law protects police officers from a homicide charge unless there’s evidence of malice or bad faith, Satterberg said at a news conference. Satterberg called the Aug. 30 shooting of John T. Williams by Officer Ian Birk troubling and said Birk may be disciplined by the Seattle Police Department, and the city could face a civil lawsuit.

Seattle cop in woodcarver death won't be charged - Spokesman Mobile - Feb. 16, 2011


*********************
He told the guy to put the knife down, a couple of times. It was a 3 inch carving knife used to carve wood, which is kind of convenient because he carved wod for a living. The guy was half deaf and drunk from what I've read. He wasn't a saint, had a rap sheet, etc. The cop told him to drop it, he gave him about 4 seconds to comply......which he didn't do, so the cop shot him.

Four times. In the chest. The knife wasn't even open. Guess the officer thought the old drunk homeless geezer with a closed 3 inch bladed knife was a little too much to handle.


*******************************************
February 16, 2011 11:57 a.m. - Updated: 10:48 p.m.
SEATTLE (AP) — Prosecutors said Wednesday they won’t criminally charge a Seattle police officer who shot and killed a knife-wielding, homeless woodcarver during a brief encounter on a street corner in a case that has prompted angry protests and calls for increased scrutiny of police tactics.
Officer Ian Birk, who had been on paid leave since the Aug. 30 shooting, resigned hours after King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg’s announcement.
Relatives and other supporters of John T. Williams had asked Satterberg to charge Birk, 27, with manslaughter, saying Williams didn’t pose a threat to the officer. The officer said he fired only after Williams failed to drop the three-inch knife despite being repeatedly ordered to do so.
At a news conference, Satterberg said the shooting was a “good faith mistake, however tragic” and no charges would be filed.


Video: Cop shoots deaf knife-holding woodcarver



Here's the PDF of the reasons they decided not to prosecute.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...erg-letter.pdf

1. Mr. Williams appeared intoxicated or mentally ill
2. he failed to respond to commands to drop the knife
3. he turned toward Birk with that kife once Birk was
already close to him
4. Mr. Williams had his hand with the knife raised
5. Mr. Williams had a blank stare on his face
6.Mr Williams clenched his jaw and shifted his weight as if he were going to attack
7 Birk feared an assault was imminent

It's not the first time.
Local News | $10M settlement for man shoved into wall by King Co. deputy; jurors react to video | Seattle Times Newspaper

Won't be the last. I wonder how many more $10 million dollar lawsuits us taxpayers will end up paying for.

The last link has a video of the cop slamming the man into a concrete wall. He told the paramedics the man ran into the wall head frst.
The Seattle police department has an ongoing record of using excessive force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,893,927 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
i think he'd actually have to open the knife and attack the cop for his carotid artery to be harmed. i don't think a man holding a closed knife nearby can cause you harm.

if he does decide to open the knife then i could see shooting him, in the leg...


if you can't protect yourself from a 50 yr old deaf guy with 3 inch knife with the blade closed without killing said man than you're way too pathetic and weak to be a cop.

the man should be charged with murder, screw manslaughter, that man was murdered
I'm not the kind of guy to give the Fuzz a free pass on anything. I tend to view the police as a necessary evil, frankly.

But I also don't jump to conclusions when they shoot someone that is holding a weapon - ANY kind of weapon - without a thorough investigation of the facts.

I'm not willing to pass judgment based on the limited information we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,396 posts, read 4,405,043 times
Reputation: 2278
How many people here, if you have a man PAST legally drunk, holding a knife and facing you, and would not drop the knife would stand there and not shoot.

I would pop him right between the horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top