Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How do you know? Would the economy be at least where it is now, if bailouts and ARRA never went into effect? Why do you think such programs are called "stimulus"?
How is subsidizing someone's salary "creating jobs" ?
One year later it's proving that the recession cannot contain and support what the stimulus money did.

Just look at education for an example..thousands of teachers in the states are getting pink slips because there is no money for their salaries. There was no money last year and stimulus money kept them going for one more year.

Local revenue supports education and if there is no revenue there is no jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'am waiting to see what happens after the stimulus runs out which will start happening this summer. From what I've read the stimulus has been good a saving jobs temporarily. It hasn't been having the multiplier effect that it is supposed to have.

^This

All this Stimulus did was prevent the inevitable. The spending of billions we didnt have was a waste and the wrong course of action. Let's just hope they dont try and use this as an excuse for another Stimulus.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Bascailly how we have to pay the rpice.For every action ther are conseqauences ;so now we face cuts i comig decades.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
A more stable economy than was present at the time. We didn't want this country to go into another depression. BTW, I can see a billion dollar highway project out of my office window (about a quarter of it is using stimulus money). Do you think it hasn't helped and won't be helping in the future?
more stable economy???? all the unstimulating stimulas did was extend the enevidable

and that highway project was planned and funded 5 years ago...pre stimulas

mwean while states that could have cut a little last year, and a little this year are now faced with bigger needed cuts this year, because they took the money for (and din NOT tighten their belts) last year

the bush/obama stimulus failed

Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It's time to cut spending - no way around that.

Hopefully doing the sane thing isn't too late. If it doesn't happen and soon, it's all going to collapse.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who supported the stimulus for reviving the economy what were you expecting after those dollars ran out?

Chicago Cutting 4,000 Summer Jobs For Teens As Federal Money Dries Up
I was expecting the stimulus money to dry up as the rest of the economy is starting to RAMP up - which is what is happening. Better to have those jobs you mention be cut NOW than 2 YEARS AGO.

Ken

Old 03-26-2011, 01:44 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
ken,

you have been saying the economy is ramping up for 2 years now.....it aint happening

more jobs drying up...more jobs going overseas...housing in the dumps...99weekers are starving....

had the jobs and BUDGETS been cut 2years ago and last year..then it would have to be such a ASTEEP cut this year

Old 03-26-2011, 01:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I was expecting the stimulus money to dry up as the rest of the economy is starting to RAMP up - which is what is happening. Better to have those jobs you mention be cut NOW than 2 YEARS AGO.

Ken
QE which was "the" solution is now at QEIII because it wasn't the solution.
The economy is not RAMPING up..it's barely limping along and mostly was propped up with government money. Now even government money can't do that..hence the thousands of teacher layoff notices and talk of reigning in public worker unions on future bargaining.

The debt and lack of revenue is going through the system.
Until the debt is cleared we cannot recover.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
A more stable economy than was present at the time. We didn't want this country to go into another depression. BTW, I can see a billion dollar highway project out of my office window (about a quarter of it is using stimulus money). Do you think it hasn't helped and won't be helping in the future?
there's always a billion dollar highway project in dallas. it took 'em over 10 years to finish out I75. i use to travel through the construction of it, both ways to and from work. it was bad. i was sure proud when they finally finished it.

that wasn't good enough, then they had to tear up more roads to put in another loop! between traffic and roads tore up under construction, i hated travels in dallas, then add to that road rage...it is a wonder any one survives it.

i've left dallas. move to smaller town. i heard a few years ago, they hired a street engineer from dallas and made him our street commissioner. guess what our loop looks like...yep, all tore up, just like, dallas! it has been that way for 5 years now.

ps: there are many days, there is not one piece of equipment operating to finish out the job...months even, so...what's up with that?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 03-26-2011 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
I'm a big left leaning liberal, but and I thought the stimulas would help a little......temporarily, but would mostly be money wasted. Stimulas dollars allowed some very expensive highway and bridge work to be completed in my state and we have horrible highways and are ranked #1 in the nation for unsafe bridges. Still, I think a lot of the stimulas money was wasted while state agencies and tribes scrambled to find projects. it's not that projects weren't needed, but most weren't shovel ready.

I know that at my tribe some of the HUD stimulas dollars may be sent back. HUD is really disorganized. I didn't work on it, but one of my co-workers does and she's told me that HUD's computer tracking system was not up to par.

I know of other tribes who've said, "take your stimulas dollars back." Just because of the disorganization in various areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies