Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good Decision or Bad???
Good decision by the judge 56 93.33%
Bad decision by the judge 3 5.00%
Undecided 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Seeing a disabled person alone isn't mentally damaging to children. Like I said, if the mother were abusive or something because of her disability, the case would hold ground. But just because she's disabled? Like I said, disability doesn't have the same stigma for kids as it does adults. I hung out with kids all the time when I was deaf-blind and none of them cared. If anyone cared, it was always the parents. Having a disability doesn't have the inherent adverse psychological effect you seem to believe it does, especially if the children and mother are allowed to show their love for each other through just being together and being able to hold hands or hug or do the normal mother-child things.
You are taking something I never said and running off on a tangent. I have no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
So flippin' what. I have seen lots of parents who apparently love their children but do not know how to BE parents. The court takes custody away from these people b/c they do damage to their kids, psychologically and sometimes physically.

Now what?
The courts rarely take away all forms of visitation with the parents in situations that you describe, however. Now I'm sure that you know someone or have some relative who can't ever see their children again because of court actions, but it's hardly the norm. Even abusive parents are usually allowed some form of visitation...usually a lot more than what is being allowed here.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
So you want the children to feel sorry for her? That's good parenting.

Did anybody even read the article I posted about attachment?
I think that "bad parenting" would be wanting the children to feel that she had no place at all in their lives because she is disabled.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
You are taking something I never said and running off on a tangent. I have no response.
I am trying to show an example of how kids aren't inherently emotionally torn by seeing a disability the way most adults are. The claim that children experience adverse psychological effects just from seeing a disability holds no water. Who their mother is is just "mom" to those kids.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
So flippin' what. I have seen lots of parents who apparently love their children but do not know how to BE parents. The court takes custody away from these people b/c they do damage to their kids, psychologically and sometimes physically.

Now what?
HUGE difference between a bad parent and a parent that can not parent due to a disability. this mother is asking for 5 days a year and you want to argue she doesn't deserve that, even though it is her god given right.
I find your lack of compassion for this mother a bit puzzling at best and I hope you are never in her position and have to fight to see your children

Old 03-26-2011, 03:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Actually, to be a parent, you must be able to do these things. If you can't, then you're not being a parent. It doesn't matter if other people are around or not, we're talking about the mother. The children have bonded with her years ago when they were like 2 years old. They have an idealistic image of her in their heads, only time will tell where that attachment will go.
I don't understand why you keep insisting on that parent role. It is irrelevant in this case... Am I talking to a cyber bot?

The only important thing is that the kids don't feel guilty.

Maybe it is the new wife who puts pressure on her husband...

Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I am trying to show an example of how kids aren't inherently emotionally torn by seeing a disability the way most adults are. The claim that children experience adverse psychological effects just from seeing a disability holds no water. Who their mother is is just "mom" to those kids.
seems some have a hard time believing this to be true go figure. at least the courts did the right thing

Old 03-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't understand why you keep insisting on that parent role. It is irrelevant in this case... Am I talking to a cyber bot?

The only important thing is that the kids don't feel guilty.

Maybe it is the new wife who puts pressure on her husband...
he has a new wife par for the course, what a douche

Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that "bad parenting" would be wanting the children to feel that she had no place at all in their lives because she is disabled.
can't rep ya enough for this post

Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Wanting to be loved is selfish? I haven't met a single human being or animal or other sentient creature that hasn't wanted to be loved. In that case, every human, animal, plant and other living thing is "selfish."
Have you ever heard how some people have children b/c they want someone to love them? THAT is selfish.

Using a child to have someone to love you is selfish. It IS natural to want to be loved, yes, but to jerk a child around or have them for the wrong reasons is simply selfish. Not saying that's what happened here, but it could be why she wants to have contact with them.

Like I've said tens of times in this thread, I don't have enough info to make a firm argument for or against. Just playing devil's advocate b/c I'm one of the lucky ones who can see things from both sides, at least on topics such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies