Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good evening,

I already responded to your above statements in a previous post. I am not a Republican, so I'm not sure if this was meant for me or not.

So, to be intellectually consistent, are you also for legalizing prostitution and for allowing men to financially opt out of parenthood? Both involve personal decisions and personal reproductive decisions.
not answering for annie but I have no problems with legal prostitution. opting out financially from parent hood, men do that now by just leaving.
opting out is a he said she said game which makes the option not possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Actually, I agree with you personally on abortion. However I don't believe in imposing my values on others federally. If the majority of a state's citizens don't want it, they should not have to accept it.

So, to be intellectually consistent, are you also for legalizing prostitution?
But it OK to impose your values through the state?

No, federal or state, government should not make this decision for a woman.

If I am a woman who wants an abortion, what difference will it make to me whether my state government or my federal government takes that option away from me? Either way, an impersonal, legislative body, {a bunch of total strangers}, has decided to make a personal decision for me. They have taken my right to control my reproductive life away from me. It is wrong, plain and simple.

Yes, we should legalize prostitution {though I personally don't condone it}, regulate it and tax it. Prostituion was legal in Nevada and the world didn't come to an end. If prostitution was legal, at least the woman preforming the service would be doing so voluntarily and would receive the money due her, instead of her pimp or "boyfriend". Women wouldn't be abused by their pimps. The rate of STD's would go down because they would be required to get regular "well checks". It would also protect the men, and their wives, from STD's. Etc., etc.

Just as with abortion, it is better to legalize it and keep it safe......because you are NEVER going to stop it.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
There seems to be a pattern of you running to the government for every instance.

What's up with that?
What do you mean?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Good evening,

I already responded to your above statements in a previous post. I am not a Republican, so I'm not sure if this was meant for me or not.

So, to be intellectually consistent, are you also for legalizing prostitution and for allowing men to financially opt out of parenthood? Both involve personal decisions and personal reproductive decisions.
Actually, as long as abortion is legal, I am starting to lean in the direction of allowing men to opt out financially, but they would also have to legally give up all parental rights to the child, so if the mother found a man who wanted to legally adopt the child involved, he could do so without the biological father having a thing to say about it. {I don't think married men should have that option.....I'm not sure. The child would legally carry his name....}

I am not sure if this would even make a huge difference, considering how many men just walk away now.

I am capable of putting myself in a man's shoes, so to speak, and I wouldn't like having to be responsible for a child I did not want.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Actually, as long as abortion is legal, I am starting to lean in the direction of allowing men to opt out financially, but they would also have to legally give up all parental rights to the child, so if the mother found a man who wanted to legally adopt the child involved, he could do so without the biological father having a thing to say about it.

I am not sure if this would even make a huge difference, considering how many men just walk away now.

I am capable of putting myself in a man's shoes, so to speak, and I wouldn't like having to be responsible for a child I did not want.
what about when neither the mom or the dad really want the child, BC fails and the mom doesn't believe in adoption or abortion. too many individual stories to really make opting out an option. however like you no one should be forced to be a parent when they don't want to be

Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what about when neither the mom or the dad really want the child, BC fails and the mom doesn't believe in adoption or abortion. too many individual stories to really make opting out an option. however like you no one should be forced to be a parent when they don't want to be
......but the mom still has the freedom to choose, the freedom to act on her beliefs and deal with the consequences of her choice.....

Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
......but the mom still has the freedom to choose, the freedom to act on her beliefs and deal with the consequences of her choice.....
true she does at least make a choice but for some abortion isn't even on the table, should the man just get to walk? I don't think so

Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
true she does at least make a choice but for some abortion isn't even on the table, should the man just get to walk? I don't think so
Like I said, I am conflicted about it.

On the one hand, we already have so many single mothers on welfare because the fathers have walked away.
Also, some of the fathers that do pay, pay a negligable amount.

On the other hand, we have so many women nowadays that want the man out of the picture anyway.

Then there are a lot of men, I think, that would like to walk away financially, but wouldn't want to give up their parental rights to do so.

Like you said, there are a lot of variables, not sure how allowing men to opt out would shake out in the end.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
No, this thread is a perfect example of why abortion should remain a PERSONAL DECISION.

No government body, state or federal, should make this decision for anyone.

People will never agree on this issue.

So women, if you are against abortion, don't have one.

Men, if you are against abortion, just make sure the women you have sex with are pro-life.... and be prepared to be a father.

See how easy that is?
Not one single mention of contraception or family planning.

Personal responsibility is not at the heart of liberal ideology, as evidenced by this post. Never has been, never will be. Despicable. The sad part is you don't see anything wrong with not demanding personal responsibility in society. And just in case you're wondering...personal responsibility is not having an abortion...personal responsibility is taking the proper precautions prior to conceiving.

Filthy, rotten, liberals.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not one single mention of contraception or family planning.

Personal responsibility is not at the heart of liberal ideology. Never has been, never will be. Despicable.
I am all for BC and family planning.......it's the Republicans, the pro-lifers, that want to defund Planned Parenthood, not people like me.

So who is despicable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies