Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The Supreme Court may--or may not--rule that "equal protection" enters into this issue. Until then, the one-man-one-woman law applies at the federal level and states that are populated by people who do not want same-sex marriage are within their rights to pass laws that do not allow same-sex marriage in their state.

For better or for worse, that's the way it is. No one's mind has been changed from one side to the other throughout this long debate. Those opposed to same-sex marriage are still opposed. Those in favor of it are still in favor of it. All any of us can do is to pressure our state and federal legislators to enact laws that reflect what we want.
Legislators can't just enact whatever the heck the populace wants. It has to be Constitutional. If they enact something that isn't, a judge can and will strike it down.

The only way a law can bypass the courts on issues of Constitutionality is for Congress to amend the Constitution - and they sure as heck are not going to get enough support to pull that one off in this case.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
So essentially the "best" (relatively speaking) reason that I could surmise is that it would be gross to see two dudes kiss when walking with your wife and that it would be hard to have a two minute conversation with your second grader (it took about 2 minutes to explain to my nephew in third grade).

Yeah, those burdens means that we should deny rights.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Oh look, someone else who hasn't the foggiest clue what marriage has been historically. Marriage began, and has always been a business arrangement. It started that way, so it's the religious people who changed the definition of it.
Eons before recorded history society worldwide has regarded as unique and special the man and woman union which is the only coupling combination possible capable of producing a human being. No other pairing combination is capable of doing this. It’s a special and unique union that is desired and valued by society above all other pairing combinations. Homosexual radicals can’t, or more likely don’t want to, acknowledge this and it’s no wonder they perceive a dreary, unhappy and unpleasant world (to them) populated by bigots and homophobes. If society had ever placed any value or desire for the homosexual pairing combination we would have had it as a part of the fabric of society long before now.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Context...context..context.

It's a hassle, isn't it? Can't actually be bothered to READ what the Bible says before you spout off about it, can you?
That appears to be your problem, not mine.
Quote:
Yes--I do believe Adam and Ever were literal, actual, real people.
That's rather shocking coming from a grown adult, in my opinion. To me, it shows naiveity and a severe lack of critical thinking skills. It also shows that no attempt to study the Biblical texts in their historical, cultural and linguistic contexts.
Quote:
And no--I don't expect the government to install a Christian-based society, but if I believe the Bible, I ought to let it affect my life--and that includes what I believe. If I believe that some things are right and wrong I'm going to vote accordingly--just as you do. You base your morals on SOMETHING...be it societal norms, or whatever. There's no reason your morals are superior to mine.
So what parts of the Bible do you "believe"? And what parts do you let "affect" your life?
Or more to the point, what parts of the Bible have you even read? (let alone studied)
To me, you base your "morals" on something you appear to know very little about, but still use (or misuse) it to support your prejudices against others. In my opinion, that's immoral.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe you ought to use some reason and I would see it.
I don't think you even understand the concept of "reason", so I doubt you would see it.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
It takes all kinds on these boards. But a special, "kind" to mock ones faith one minute and the next give advise to "open your Bible"

The lack of emotional intelligence and maturity is scarily lacking.

We don't advocate gov't installation of "Christian-based society" but do advocate for religious freedom-guaranteed in our constitution BTW.

Funny those that rant and rile about freedom and discriminiation are the first to mock and try and limit others. Very ugly.
Very telling.
If only those Christians who abuse the Bible to support their prejudice and condemn others would actually follow the teachings of Jesus Christ....

Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was trying to mock anyone's faith. I wasn't the one that was whining about how God supposedly commands baby killing and genocide.
"supposedly"?
I suggest you study the Old Testament. Which you clearly haven't.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Closed for mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies