Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
"choose" being the operative word. They HAVE a choice. Gays and lesbians do NOT have that same choice in most states. How is it you cannot see this obvious flaw in your opinion.
Good afternoon,

How is this a flaw if other groups do not have choice? You present this as if gays are the only ones "discriminated" against in the marriage area. I hate to beat the same drum, but see upthread for the discussion of polygamists and 18+ incestuous relationships (even one man/one woman) who are also barred from marrying. Obviously if these other groups aren't allowed to marry, "marriage discrimination" by individual states is allowed. That, sir, is the flaw in YOUR argument.

To be intellectually consistent, do you support 18+ incenstuous marriages? I think it's disgusting, but I would not vote against it, just like I would not vote against gay marriage in my state. My contrarian position here is based on legality of the state to "discriminate", not personal preferences against gay marriage, and if the Supreme Court ruled on this matter in gay adovcates' favor, I would be completely fine with it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
As I said, mentally disabled are free to marry.

Should a gay mentally disabled couple be allowed to marry?

Would a gay mentally disabled couple be allowed to marry?

If the answer is yes then gays should be allowed to marry.

Doesn't work that way, sorry. Please please please do not engage in legal analysis unless you have been properly trained. You're going to end up hurting yourself!

With no training in fixing cars, I don't go over to the automotive forum and try to tell them how to fix a bad transmission because I would just look silly.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Civil rights are not subject to the whim of the majority.

How many times before you understand this basic concept of our system of government?
if it was TRUELY a civil right...then you would not need PERMISSION in a form of a license for which you are MANDATED to pay

marriage is not a right...its a privelege

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, the real traditional definition involves a man and many women.
Not in the United States.

Quote:
Because you would have to allow straight people to enter into civil unions (those straight people who do not like the baggage that comes with the term "marriage"), then you will add to the erosion of the institution of marriage.
Straight people already enter into Civil Unions, when they are married at a courthouse. It's not eroding anything. It's still called "married".

Quote:
Well you DO realize that even if the GOVERNMENT has two classes (civil unions and marriage), POPULAR CULTURE and language will refer to gay people as "married" as "spouses," etc.? Gay people already refer to long term partners as "husband" or "wife" and... GASP.... sometimes wear wedding rings.
Yes. It's strange, but true.

Quote:
And that's why social conservatives may win a battle, but they ALWAYS lose the war.
It ain't over till it's over.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Because it doesn't only affect gays. It affects str8 ppls children and especially effects gays children.
People keep saying that, but none so far have been able to explain HOW it affects anyone other than the gay couple. Maybe YOU can explain it?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 PM

65 posts, read 112,882 times
Gays have the same rights as I do already. They can marry the opposite sex.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Doesn't work that way, sorry. Please please please do not engage in legal analysis unless you have been properly trained. You're going to end up hurting yourself!

With no training in fixing cars, I don't go over to the automotive forum and try to tell them how to fix a bad transmission because I would just look silly.
Yes it does work that way.

Are mentally disabled gay couples allowed to marry in 2011?

I have heard of mentally challenged couples marrying, can gay couples who are disabled marry?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi1 View Post
Personally, I am not gay but have no problem with gays having the right to get married. I would like to know why a homosexual couple that spend their lives together just like a married heterosexual couple are not allowed to receive the same benefits???
why should 2 cosenting adult INDIVIDUALS get any 'benefit'

that's what this 'same-sex' marriage thing is about...the GREED of benefits

there is a simple solution...

ABOLISH all marriages, and eliminate the BENEFITS (ie tax breaks)

you want someone to have a life deciding say in matters...go see a LAWYER and get a POA or a LEGAL CONTRACT for that SPECIFIC thing

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waderight View Post
Gays have the same rights as I do already. They can marry the opposite sex.
This isn't a clever argument either. It was already a tried and true line of logic perfected by segregationists and anti-miscegenationists.

"Both blacks and whites are only allowed to marry their own race, so there's no discrimination."

Geez you guys are more behind the times than originally thought!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,040,610 times
A better question is: "Why do idiots say that marriage is a term that applies to only religious man/woman marriage, which flies in the face of history and also in the face of the fact that language evolves"?

Seriously people.

The nature of our language is that terms evolve. They get redefined all the time.

If you want to complain that "Marriage is being redefined", then stop referring to homosexuals as "'gay". Or a derogatory term that I cannot mention that originally meant a bundle of sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.