Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
When you change the definition of marriage, it effects us all.
Just like in 1967 when the federal government decided that people of opposite races could marry legally. It changed forever the definition of marriage for everyone. Allowing gay people access to the same 1049 special rights that straight people get with a marriage license, will not stop or change those 1049 federal rights that they get. it only allows us the same footing as you enjoy ands stops treating us like second class citizens unworthy of equal civil rights. They are our rights too, not just yours.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Your logic is flawed on several fronts. First, you say "people who are STRAIGHT can CAN get married. . . Gays can get married too. They have all the rights of every other citizens of the U.S. Let's be straight (no pun intended) about this and what homosexuals are seeking. Homosexuals are asking for an addition or extention of the law; that is to marry a person of the same sex.

And lets be clear too, thre is nothing unconstitutional or evil about upholding the law of the land. I find you reference to anyone who opposes same sex marriage as evil ridiculous and weakens credibility.
Do you know how incredibly ridiculous your "logic" is here?

Where gay people have the right to marry, heterosexuals also have the exact same right to marry someone of the same sex! See, everyone still has the same rights.

And you do realize that laws change, right? Opinions change, people become enlightened, we change laws.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Ok we are at an impasse.
But you are incorrect when you state that "the issue doesn't affect you in any way." This issue affects my country and its future. It affects straights and homosexuals alike in a very big way.
How, please? How does my marriage in California affect yours? Yours has no affect on mine, other than trumping my rights to the same privileges.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
This is a great topic and I 100% agree with the OP.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Agreed.

Also, why can't they take civil unions?

Because lots of states that don't allow same sex marriage also don't allow same sex civil unions.

Also, when the legal status of being married carries Federal level rights, protections and benefits with it - it needs to be something governed by Federal law, not state laws.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Entitlement issues. Narcissism. etc. It's rampant in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I think it's weird that people who are STRAIGHT and CAN get married think that they should have a say in MY life and MY marriage. It's unconstitutional to vote on the rights of others while ENJOYING that right, and when the courts overturn their unconstitutional and evil attempts, they act like THEIR rights have been violated? How is denying someone else the same right that you have DENYING you a RIGHT? Also, since when do THEY get the right to OVERRIDE the constitution? I think it's weird that their are anti gay marriage people who are actually PASSIONATE about causing harm to other people's lives. If you're passionate about being evil.. doesn't that make you EVIL? I don't get why they think they even GET a say? I think it's demeaning that these people i never met get to have POWER over MY LIFE? and they think i have to ask them if they think it's OK if I do something that doesn't involve them.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Just like in 1967 when the federal government decided that people of opposite races could marry legally. It changed forever the definition of marriage for everyone. Allowing gay people access to the same 1049 special rights that straight people get with a marriage license, will not stop or change those 1049 federal rights that they get. it only allows us the same footing as you enjoy ands stops treating us like second class citizens unworthy of equal civil rights. They are our rights too, not just yours.
Do not use Loving vs. Virginia to support gay marriage.

There is no such thing as differences in humans based on racial classification because race has no basis in science, but homosexuality as a behavior exists.

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waderight View Post
Gays have the same rights as I do already. They can marry the opposite sex.
Why do people keep using this flawed argument. I just posted it above, but you do realize that if you live in a state where SS marriage is legal, you too have the right to marry someone of the same sex? That means if gay marriage is legal, everyone still has the same rights, both gay and straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
it doesnt just affect you.
marriage is a religious ceremony.
what concerns me is that by definition, a marriage is between a man and a woman. what you are asking for is for it to be redefined. this would then infringe on freedom of religion rights. once a law like this is passed, the first church that refuses to preform that marriage is going to be sued for discrimination.
BOGUS.. It has already been proven that your freedom of religion will not be harmed by gay marriage, besides that. Why would a gay couple choose to get married in a church, when they hate us so much as it is. Marriage, unless your forget, is a federal civil union, not a church union. One can have a church union, but it is not legal, nor do you get 1049 federal rights with it. You have to have a civil union for those rights and they do not demand that god be present, nor is it mentioned. I know, I had a civil union.

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And asking how it may affect the rights of heterosexuals is somehow off-topic to you?

LOL Complain to the mods then. I'm sure Rita is lying in wait for me again today.

Yes, those are effects, but they are not affects that rise to the level of infringing on the rights of others, or to the level of justifying disparate treatment under the law.

I know you don't like the point I am making, but calling it off-topic is evasive and disingenuous.
When you bring in a new proposal to the argument such as denying SS benefits to married people, you are going off-topic. That is another issue entirely.

Straight people have no rights to marriage that are not also the same rights of gay people i.e. the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. No one is being denied the right to marry. Everyone is denied same-sex marriage. I can't marry a same-sex person; you can' marry a same-sex person. Ergo, no one has any kind of marriage "right" that is not also the same "rights" as everyone else.

Marrying the person of your choice is a privilege, not a right.

If you want to discuss same-sex marriage as a privilege, and not as a "right", you will have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies