Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Ok we are at an impasse.
But you are incorrect when you state that "the issue doesn't affect you in any way." This issue affects my country and its future. It affects straights and homosexuals alike in a very big way.
How exactly?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
it doesnt just affect you.
marriage is a religious ceremony.
what concerns me is that by definition, a marriage is between a man and a woman. what you are asking for is for it to be redefined. this would then infringe on freedom of religion rights. once a law like this is passed, the first church that refuses to preform that marriage is going to be sued for discrimination.
Nope. Religious institutions will still get to discriminate.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The whole issue is more then about gay marriage since they can go to a Unitarian church anywhere in the U S and get married. What they are looking for is a legal contract that is backed by the state so they can collect SSI survivors beni's and of course to take advantage of companies health care and other perks.
I have noticed that a good portion of gays have a very anti religious attitude but have no problem asking the state to interfere in what is a religious ceremony. How did the state get involved in the first place? back in early 1900's the states butted into a area they had no business in. They used the excuse of requiring everyone to have a blood test to fight VD and also to collect taxes from a marriage license.
A better question is "How did the Church get involved in the first place". Read about the history of marriage.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Nope. Religious institutions will still get to discriminate.
That is correct, as has happened in Canada where gay marriage was legalized nation wide more than five years ago. For one thing marriage is only religious by choice. More and more are performed as a civil service as religion falls by the wayside. Churches here can continue to cling to their bigotry and refuse to marry same sex couples if that is what they choose, but there are also many churches that are quite happy to marry them.

Gay marriage has had no effect whatsoever on heterosexuals or their families. In fact there are many positives that have come from allowing gays to marry, not the least of which is that there are many formerly unwanted kids finding homes in loving families.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
strawman argument. Expanding the definition of marriage to allow for same-gender marriage affects everyone--not just gay people.
How exactly?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Intellectually challenged people are allowed to marry so I guess there's no reason to deny gays the ability to marry as well.
Are you using yourself as an example?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How exactly?
Yeah, I'd like to know how too...No sign of it here in Canada

Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
My opposition to gay marriage has always been that homosexuals are mentally flawed because of their same sex attraction.

But I have to change my position because even in most states it is legal for intellectually challenged people to marry if they are able to consent.

I don't have any opposition to intellectually challenged people to marry, so gays should be able to marry also without regard to their disability.
Speaking of mentally flawed...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Honestly...it's hard to understand how this can continue for 60 + pages. The basic arguments are that anyone that opposes it is just a hater. We've tried to explain how no...it's not that...it's personal conviction. That doesn't matter...because the only one that actually has a right to have an opinion is someone that is arguing for it, I guess.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Mentally challenged people usually have some sort of brain injury or genetic deficiency which can be measured. Homosexuals have not been proven to have any genetic predisposition to being gay so in my opinion it is a condition with a dysfunctional cognitive and emotional component. It's a pathological condition. But in spite of their condition because it is mental, there shouldn't be any reason to deny them to marry because other mentally challenged people in society are allowed to marry.

I think that if gays want to marry, and they accepted the fact that they are mentally disabled then they should be able to press forward for marriage under the Americans with Disabilities Act. There is no way the Supreme Court could deny that petition and Gay Marriage would be allowed in all states in the USA.

ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act
Your "opinion" has absolutely no basis in fact..... as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies