Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, so what would you consider to be the lesson learned if this girl had either A) given her child up for adoption or B) kept the child to raise?

I couldn't make such a broad assessment. The family would have a huge impact on that....along with environment. I don't disagree with the 40% number thrown out earlier being "held back"

I think that has more to do with where largely the youngin's are going at it...

That would be another thread.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You have the assumption that they wouldn't have been able to do the same with a baby and that she's being punished.....Do you reward your kids for hitting someone?

The definition of sociopath I already stated. The tendencies towards that doesn't make it a 100% case of them being one....

It's the destruction of the morals of our society. When does the number drop from 1:150 being socio's to 1:100

What happens when it drops to 1:50

1:1?

it's human nature to form bonds and feel regret. If you feel none of those see if any of your other symptoms match the long list posted above.
You have an incorrect definition of a sociopath. There are specific criteria to diagnose an individual as such, which is why I suggest referencing DSM-IV 301.7.

Only 1% of females are diagnosed sociopaths. It is not a word to be thrown around lightly.

I do not believe a fetus is a life, therefore I do not form a bond with it.

You could never be pregnant, so how would you understand? I do not believe in punishing someone with a pregnancy. It does not benefit the mother or child.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM

"So, instead, she should be punished, to learn a lesson, with a child."

I want to talk about this a sec.

Before abortions there was no choice to if you are punished or not.

Can we agree this is probably one of the biggest choices for a teen couple in their life to have sex?

Can we agree it's probably a horrible decision?

So with the horrible decision made and the consequences at hand. The parents (assuming they need permission) take them to the clinic to show them their wrong doing is not so bad. Even though that decision was and still is throughout the entire life one of the most important decisions one can make. You don't sleep with someone just because...Well you do with birth control and the ability to have abortion....i.e....see the statistics for VD's

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You have an incorrect definition of a sociopath. There are specific criteria to diagnose an individual as such, which is why I suggest referencing DSM-IV 301.7.

Only 1% of females are diagnosed sociopaths. It is not a word to be thrown around lightly.

I do not believe a fetus is a life, therefore I do not form a bond with it.

You could never be pregnant, so how would you understand? I do not believe in punishing someone with a pregnancy. It does not benefit the mother or child.
I rest my case. Now the jury can decide.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
I couldn't make such a broad assessment. The family would have a huge impact on that....along with environment. I don't disagree with the 40% number thrown out earlier being "held back"

I think that has more to do with where largely the youngin's are going at it...

That would be another thread.
Let me just ask a couple things:

Do you understand that some girls in the scenario you described would not just have angry parents, they'd be THROWN out, homeless or in foster care?

Or worse, beaten?

Do you also understand that abortion A) HURTS, physically and B) is NOT affordable for the average teenager? It's not a trip to the beach!

Do you want statistics on the probable future of a girl who has this baby at 16 and keeps it?

There are negative affects to adoption also.. and some people refuse to believe it, but for some the adoption "option" disappears once you go through a pregnancy. I mean, it just is inconceivable and there are people who, no matter how much their brain tells them the child would be better off, cannot bring themselves to utilize that option.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:

<Snipped because I don't have time for all that right now>
I hope you're not trying to revive the myth that abortion didn't happen before it was "legal" in this country...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Let me just ask a couple things:

Do you understand that some girls in the scenario you described would not just have angry parents, they'd be THROWN out, homeless or in foster care?

Or worse, beaten?

Do you also understand that abortion A) HURTS, physically and B) is NOT affordable for the average teenager?

Do you want statistics on the probable future of a girl who has this baby at 16 and keeps it?

There are negative affects to adoption also.. and some people refuse to believe it, but for some the adoption "option" disappears once you go through a pregnancy. I mean, it just is inconceivable and there are people who, no matter how much their brain tells them the child would be better off, cannot bring themselves to utilize that option.

I made myself pretty clear in my response....it's totally environmental. In bad environment the chances are higher. In a more loving or family type environment mistakes will be made and that is known....and the conequences will be dealt with.

Do you give everyone @ 16 an abortion or just the ones that won't turn out to be sh*t......If so how do you know which ones will and won't?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Can we agree this is probably one of the biggest choices for a teen couple in their life to have sex?

Can we agree it's probably a horrible decision?

So with the horrible decision made and the consequences at hand. The parents (assuming they need permission) take them to the clinic to show them their wrong doing is not so bad. Even though that decision was and still is throughout the entire life one of the most important decisions one can make. You don't sleep with someone just because...Well you do with birth control and the ability to have abortion....i.e....see the statistics for VD's
Abortions have been going on for hundreds of years.

I don't agree that it is necessarily a horrible decision for some teens to have sex. It happens. In other countries, where sex is not as taboo, and teens are educated about sex and how to protect themselves, there are much, much lower teen pregnancy rates.

Are you trying to say that without birth control, the VD rate would go down? You are still basically saying, that a teen should not get an abortion because they will not realize the consequences of their actions. So, you are saying they should carry a child to term as a punishment. Not good for mother or child.

As I said before, I turned out just fine, my friends who aborted turned out just fine. From personal experience, it does not breed irresponsible behavior. Unfortunately, the people I know who had children young, before they were ready, are not doing so well (welfare, food stamps, etc)

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Ehhhh as I said before. I won't change your minds....your minds are made up and we just have to agree to disagree.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM

I was looking for the statistic, and VD rates have actually gone down as Birth Control became more common, FYI

http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats/images/trends-img-2.gif (broken link)
http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats/images/trends-img-3.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies