Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

34 posts, read 187,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
But you are trying to impose your personal beliefs on an entire group of people. Right now, you sound an awful lot like... well- we won't go THERE.
I am not trying to impose anything. I am asking why do Mexicans want to be segregated? Some even teach their kids Brown/Hispanic/Latino is a race.

Maybe a Mexican can enlighten me on the Brown Pride thing. Honestly I do not like it and those are my honest feelings. Probably the most damaging mindset to the Mexican community (and Latin Americans in the USA overall since all are lumped in).

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

785 posts, read 1,872,230 times
Quote:
But you are trying to impose your personal beliefs on an entire group of people. Right now, you sound an awful lot like... well- we won't go THERE.
That's right, Hitler told all other Germans they couldn't call themselves white because he hated people calling him that.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM

81 posts, read 170,013 times
Great post Chicagoland

We all know that black people aren't actually black and white people are not actually white, we're not talking about crayons. The 'brown pride' is reference to the fact that MANY people from Latin America, particularly the ones immigrating from Mexico, are in fact, brown. The mention of Thalia and Gael Garcia, are not a fair comparison, since they don't look like the kind of people that are immigrating to the US. I am hispanic, not Mexican, and have never been offended by people who are into 'brown pride'. It's their way of coping, and 'sticking together' to help each other out. They are united by things that are common, traditions and family values, in spite of being from different countries throughout Latin America.

I am bothered much more with the elitist, racist, exclusionary attitudes of some of the other hispanic groups, which are 'dominant' in Miami. I would rather be around people who are into 'brown pride' then folks who won't look or talk to others who aren't their kind. In south Florida, the Peruvians hang with the Peruvians, Brazilians with Brazilians, Cubans with the Cubans, Argentinians with the Argentinians, etc, etc, and the different groups despise each other. Seems like they could use some 'brown pride' down south to unite these groups.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,173,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
Probably the most damaging mindset to the Mexican community (and Latin Americans in the USA overall since all are lumped in).
You still havent explained exactly how this is the 'most damaging mindset to the Mexican community(and Latin Americans in the USA overall).

Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM

34 posts, read 187,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
That's right, Hitler told all other Germans they couldn't call themselves white because he hated people calling him that.
Don't compare me to Hitler when I am expressing my personal feelings. That is not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larachris View Post
Great post Chicagoland

We all know that black people aren't actually black and white people are not actually white, we're not talking about crayons. The 'brown pride' is reference to the fact that MANY people from Latin America, particularly the ones immigrating from Mexico, are in fact, brown. The mention of Thalia and Gael Garcia, are not a fair comparison, since they don't look like the kind of people that are immigrating to the US. I am hispanic, not Mexican, and have never been offended by people who are into 'brown pride'. It's their way of coping, and 'sticking together' to help each other out. They are united by things that are common, traditions and family values, in spite of being from different countries throughout Latin America.

I am bothered much more with the elitist, racist, exclusionary attitudes of some of the other hispanic groups, which are 'dominant' in Miami. I would rather be around people who are into 'brown pride' then folks who won't look or talk to others who aren't their kind. In south Florida, the Peruvians hang with the Peruvians, Brazilians with Brazilians, Cubans with the Cubans, Argentinians with the Argentinians, etc, etc, and the different groups despise each other. Seems like they could use some 'brown pride' down south to unite these groups.
I feel the term is negative, look below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You still havent explained exactly how this is the 'most damaging mindset to the Mexican community(and Latin Americans in the USA overall).
Here is an example.

One half of my family is completely European ancestry from Latin America, and assumed White always. Every person in that family is successful.

My other half is mixed, more on the White end of the spectrum (almost everyone could pull off pure White) but have the American Latino/Hispanic mindset. They dress/act the urban Latino/Hispanic role. The young chicks are pregnant and the guys are always in trouble with the law.

I feel the second example feels the need to play the role psychologically, since they consider themselves "Brown, well they don't use the term but it fits here". Yes there are factors but that side of the family does not consider themselves White but Latino/Hispanic racially (Even though they are mostly White). The successful side considers themselves White of Latin American ancestry. They act like a typical suburban White American family.

Do you see where I am coming from, kind of?????? I feel people feel they must play the role.

Another example until I make mention of being Latino/Hispanic if I am with Non Hispanic Whites I am part of the group, until I say I am Latino/Hispanic than I am the Brown guy.

Last edited by AMERICANGUY231123; 03-28-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,987,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Ok- so you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down. I just didn't want to throw the word "Nazi" out there since it has been overused so much lately.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,671,138 times
Lightbulb Okay...We Get It...You Don't Like The Term...

Quote:
It does bother me. I am not Brown. I do not want to be labeled as such just because my parents were born in Latin America. Along with all the rest of the negative stereotypes that come along with that
"Brown" title.

I was born in the United States, raised as an American. Genetically I look more White than anything but I have Sub-Saharan African/Black and possible Asian/Indigenous ancestry in me, I am proud of that. I am multiracial However, I AM NOT BROWN.

Pisses me off and I take offense to it. I am not the only one either. If you want an example by a celeb, take a look at Jessica Alba.

Jessica Alba: Don't Call Me A Latina!! - MediaTakeOut.com™ 2011

The Mexican community has encouraged this Brown/Brown Pride idea and now Non-Hispanic Americans who typically lump all Latin Americans together anyway refer to us all as Brown. I find the term degrading because I am automatically assumed a brown, gang banging, lawn mowing Mexican by the ignorants as soon as I tell someone my parents were born in Latin America. No offense to Mexicans, that is what the ignorants think of when many if not most Americans think Mexican.
However, as others have sagely pointed out, just because YOU don't like it, doesn't rob OTHERS of the right to use that term to express pride in their heritage...

I'm a black man, 55 years old...I will answer to 'black', 'Negro', 'colored', 'African-American'---all terms that at one time or another have been used to identify my race and my people...I WON'T answer to that other 6-letter word that rhymes with 'bigger', but that's a tale for another time...

I am old enough to remember the riots of the 60's, the 'Black Power/Black Is Beautiful' era, the whole bag of walnuts...but did I sit around carping and whining about what I would call myself, or what other people would call me? Hell no...I had, and still have, more important things to do with my time than to stomp my foot and pout because someone wanted to yell 'black power', or anything else that symbolizes pride in one's ethnicity...

You can be Yosemite Sam all you want ('OOOOOOHHH!!! Ah HATES them brown varmints!!), but if Mexican folk want to say Brown Power, and thus show pride in their race, or if Italians, or Greeks, or Poles, or Latinos/Hispanics (yep I said it) wanna do it, then I have no beef with them whatsoever...

I'm terribly sorry for your luck if you think pouting on a chat forum, or grabbing someone by the neck on the street and growling 'AHRGGGHHH! I AM NOT BROWN!' is gonna do anything to change the price of donuts at Krispy Kreme...folks will judge you on how you carry yourself, and how you live your life, NOT how you correct someone about how many percent of this and that you are...if you don't ACT like a stereotype, then people shoud have no basis to TREAT you like one---Latino, Hispanic, Mexican, Klingon, Romulan, whoever

Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,987,332 times
Quote:
Don't compare me to Hitler when I am expressing my personal feelings. That is not fair.

I feel the term is negative, look below.

Here is an example.

One half of my family is completely European ancestry from Latin America, and assumed White always. Every person in that family is successful.

My other half is mixed, more on the White end of the spectrum (almost everyone could pull off pure White) but have the American Latino/Hispanic mindset. They dress/act the urban Latino/Hispanic role. The young chicks are pregnant and the guys are always in trouble with the law.

I feel the second example feels the need to play the role psychologically, since they consider themselves "Brown, well they don't use the term but it fits here". Yes there are factors but that side of the family does not consider themselves White but Latino/Hispanic racially (Even though they are mostly White). The successful side considers themselves White of Latin American ancestry. They act like a typical suburban White American family.

Do you see where I am coming from, kind of?????? I feel people feel they must play the roll.

Another example until I make mention of being Latino/Hispanic if I am with Non Hispanic Whites I am part of the group, until I say I am Latino/Hispanic than I am the Brown guy.
So, in your mind, white = success. White is right.

Ok- so how do you explain PWT? There are members of EVERY society that have habits that the majority of people don't agree with. You can't pin it on it being identified with a particular racial group. Your viewpoint is no better than using the "N" word.

Last edited by Milleka; 03-28-2011 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM

785 posts, read 1,872,230 times
Quote:
No no, I wasn't, I was sarcastically agreeing with Milleka. He was totally off base in that comparison and I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious. Really sorry. I kind of agree with you on your points and I too think race is just a way of segregating people.

Quote:
Ok- so you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down. I just didn't want to throw the word "Nazi" out there since it has been overused so much lately.
I'm picking nothing up. Why would you even bring him/them into this?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,942,765 times
Given the bias favoring lighter skin in Mexico I think it's a good thing that some Mexicans and Mexican-Americans are willing to self-identify as "brown". Also one could look at it as embracing the non-European parts of Mexican culture (also a good thing IMO since elevating European culture and genetic makeup above everything else has been a long-term prejudice in the Americas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies