Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM

81 posts, read 170,548 times

Advertisements

Jessica Alba: Don't Call Me A Latina!! - MediaTakeOut.com™ 2011

Wow. I would never look to Jessica Alba, who was born in the US, to be a pillar of an example for the Hispanic/Latin American community. She's always struck me as one of those people who 'denied' their ethnicity and does not even speak the native tongue of her parents. I know plenty of people who are second generation and are a great example of 'brown pride' and assimilation into the American way of life. She is definitely not on that list.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
No no, I wasn't, I was sarcastically agreeing with Milleka. He was totally off base in that comparison and I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious. Really sorry. I kind of agree with you on your points and I too think race is just a way of segregating people.

I'm picking nothing up. Why would you even bring him/them into this?
"She" thinks you might need to brush up on your sarcasm skills then. Maybe use one of those little smiley faces over there to convey your meaning. ----->

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
"She" thinks you might need to brush up on your sarcasm skills then. Maybe use one of those little smiley faces over there to convey your meaning. ----->
Yeah, sorry, I revert to he, I didn't register your name at all. I did use two smilies.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Yeah, sorry, I revert to he, I didn't register your name at all. I did use two smilies.
Well, you sure enough did. My bad.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
AMERICANGUY231123;18474415]I do not support the concept of race to be honest. It is such a social construct. So many people are mixed who do not know it and we all come from the same anyway, race technically is just difference in features due to inbreeding in three specific regions (East Asia, Europe, and Sub Saharan Africa). And that was then, before travel everywhere from the Silk Road to the Concord.
My problem is why are Mexicans trying to be different and segregate themselves? The whole Brown Pride concept. If anything that is falling into the anti-immigrant mindset those that hate want them to fall into

If you believe race is ultimately a mere social concept, then why are you hell bent on Mexicans not identifying with one of the 3-4 previous racial groups? I'll confess something to you, I don't like how many Dominicans don't identify as blacks kind of the same way you feel about Mexicans not identifying as white or mixed race, but in the grand scheme of things, my personal beliefs don't have much power. It doesn't matter much because afterall, race is not biological fact right? If someone like Sammy Sosa don't want to be recognized as black, then thats on him. Race is like being part of a club, but its the government who gets the most say on who is considered part of what. Hispanics are like a middle ground. They have the flexibility by government officials to considered themselves as minorities and white at the same time. And if you ever paid attention to the census, half of the hispanic population mark themselves as white, even Mexicans. Oddly enough, the average Mexican on the street wouldn't publically call him or herself white though. I never met one who actually did. I personally think many census enumerators were ordered to classify most Mexicans as white by default, because I was a enumerator and I remember an enumerator in my department was told by our supervisor to mark this Argentinian person as white since the enumerator described the person as white looking. But I can't say that is a national fact since I don't know the experience of every enumerator across America who came in contact with Latino households.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 03-28-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
I go to a school that's about 45% Mexican descent. They don't look "white" or Southern European, so they don't identify as such. They see themselves as "brown", and frankly, you'd have a hard time disagreeing with them. Latin America is just as diverse as the US, so you can't say definitively if they're white, native, black, or whatever. However, most Mexicans that emigrate to the US are mostly of indigenous descent, with some Spanish. They call themselves Mestizo, and they've developed an ethnic identity distinct from both. Why are you so concerned about it?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Because they are not "white". Brown people have been disrespected and exploited for centuries. Good lord. If they can't have "brown pride" then what else have they got? Besides- it doesn't matter how much "white" they've got in them. Over the years, anyone with "mixed" ancestory was considered inferior. Just look up the classification system that was devised to label hispanics of mixed ancestory in the 18th century. It's mind-boggling. It's been a long time since then, but those stigmas still remain today. Why does it offend you so much that your friends have pride in their ancestory?
??? And so you somehow want to perpetuate that? You make no sense.

Also, by that logic, German, Italian and Irish Americans should call themselves 'Brown' as well, because even though they are as white as some Hispanics, they 'experienced' a cultural stigma at the hands of 'Whites' in this country.

Personally, I don't like the 'color races', White, Black, Brown, etc. They don't tell you much about a person, they only lend to making an association with stereotypes not to mention the confusion that abounds considering the range of skin colors in any given race overlaps with every other race.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
??? And so you somehow want to perpetuate that? You make no sense.

Also, by that logic, German, Italian and Irish Americans should call themselves 'Brown' as well, because even though they are as white as some Hispanics, they 'experienced' a cultural stigma at the hands of 'Whites' in this country.

Personally, I don't like the 'color races', White, Black, Brown, etc. They don't tell you much about a person, they only lend to making an association with stereotypes not to mention the confusion that abounds considering the range of skin colors in any given race overlaps with every other race.
No- I just don't care if someone wants to call themselves brown, black, or purple. Who cares? They are identifying themselves as a culture and, if it helps them bind together as a community, then it shouldn't matter if they want to be called "brown". They aren't hurting anyone. It's a non-issue issue.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Jeez, people are people. Human beings are human beings. It gets so tedious when some run around with this massive chip on their shoulders looking for slights and rehashing injustices of the past and its equally tedious to see people overly concerned about everyone shoe-horning themselves in a neat little box with the same mindset and expecting everyone to do the same. I'm of both Irish Catholic and Scots/English Southern Baptist background and gay to boot. I'm proud of all aspects of my life and encourage others to revel in who they are as well in a way that isn't disrespectful of others. Don't expect me to lug around some cross to bear for things in the past I (or my family) had nothing to do with. Don't expect me to conform to some narrow mindset regarding morality or religion either. I'll live my life as a self-identified white gay man and you live yours in any way you see fit. If Mexicans want to identify themselves as Brown, La Raza, Chicano, Hispanic, Latino, Mestizo, Heuro, Spanish, or whatever that's their prerogative.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,065 times
I don't know why so many people seem to think that European immigration only occurred in the United States. Just as many Europeans immigrated to Canada, Mexico, Argentina, etc. How can you say that all Mexicans are a "race" or color? Tan? Really? Is that an ethnicity? And how can you saw that all Hispanics are a color? Hispanic simply means that your mother tongue is Spanish. I can call Italian or African Americans Anglos and classify them as being a certain color. Yeah, it doesn't feel to good huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies