Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM

34 posts, read 187,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
??? And so you somehow want to perpetuate that? You make no sense.

Also, by that logic, German, Italian and Irish Americans should call themselves 'Brown' as well, because even though they are as white as some Hispanics, they 'experienced' a cultural stigma at the hands of 'Whites' in this country.

Personally, I don't like the 'color races', White, Black, Brown, etc. They don't tell you much about a person, they only lend to making an association with stereotypes not to mention the confusion that abounds considering the range of skin colors in any given race overlaps with every other race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
I don't know why so many people seem to think that European immigration only occurred in the United States. Just as many Europeans immigrated to Canada, Mexico, Argentina, etc. How can you say that all Mexicans are a "race" or color? Tan? Really? Is that an ethnicity? And how can you saw that all Hispanics are a color? Hispanic simply means that your mother tongue is Spanish. I can call Italian or African Americans Anglos and classify them as being a certain color. Yeah, it doesn't feel to good huh?
Yes the concept of race should be eliminated completely. Why encourage a new one, "Brown"? That creates segregation that otherwise would not even exist.

That is my major issue with this "Brown Pride" Mindset.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM

20 posts, read 80,946 times
It isn't just a Mexican thing; I also herd Filipinos using "brown pride".

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
So 'Brown' means, "I have a Spanish surname and therefore I am in solidarity with all others with Spanish surnames." ?

I assume that 'Brown' does not include Spaniards because although they have Spanish surnames they are white, colonialist, oppressors.

I'm starting to get it...

'Browns' are people who were oppressed by Spaniards.

'Blacks' are people who were oppressed by the English.

But what about people of African ancestry who were oppressed by Spaniards and have Spanish surnames? Are they 'Black' or 'Brown'. Or both?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian07 View Post
It isn't just a Mexican thing; I also herd Filipinos using "brown pride".
In Hawai'i (and elsewhere), Filipinos, Chamorros, Hawaiians, Samoans, Tongans, Maori, and others all have "brown pride."

Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So 'Brown' means, "I have a Spanish surname and therefore I am in solidarity with all others with Spanish surnames." ?

I assume that 'Brown' does not include Spaniards because although they have Spanish surnames they are white, colonialist, oppressors.

I'm starting to get it...

'Browns' are people who were oppressed by Spaniards.

'Blacks' are people who were oppressed by the English.

But what about people of African ancestry who were oppressed by Spaniards and have Spanish surnames? Are they 'Black' or 'Brown'. Or both?
What about the fact Spanish and other Southern Euro's have strong traces of DNA from North Africa and the Middle East. So who really knows what they are anyway.

What about those "Brown people" who are just Spanish, or even Italian, Arab, Greek, Irish or a multitude of other nationalities that came over.

How about dropping this "Brown Pride" idea all together and assimilating into the United States?

How about being American?

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM

785 posts, read 1,882,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
What about the fact Spanish and other Southern Euro's have strong traces of DNA from North Africa and the Middle East. So who really knows what they are anyway.

What about those "Brown people" who are just Spanish, or even Italian, Arab, Greek, Irish or a multitude of other nationalities that came over.

How about dropping this "Brown Pride" idea all together and assimilating into the United States?

I agree with nearly all your thoughts on race and how ridiculous and selective it is, and I know you hate being lumped in with others by ignorants, BUT everybody likes to feel accepted and being part of a group is a great way to do that. I can see it affects you somewhat, but it affects those who want to call themselves brown, black or whatever way more. If it makes them feel good to identify with a whole group, that's great. Your being annoyed at being judged as a stereotype is your cross to bear. You can explain to everyone you meet person by person rather than wishing a whole 'race' of people didn't feel good about themselves.

It IS segregation, and people should try their best to assimilate when they come to a new country, but identifying with a group (even a potentially made up one), doesn't have to be exclusive from assimilating.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post

But the concept of race should be eliminated completely. Why encourage a new one, "American"? That creates segregation that otherwise would not even exist.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I go to a school that's about 45% Mexican descent. They don't look "white" or Southern European, so they don't identify as such. They see themselves as "brown", and frankly, you'd have a hard time disagreeing with them. Latin America is just as diverse as the US, so you can't say definitively if they're white, native, black, or whatever. However, most Mexicans that emigrate to the US are mostly of indigenous descent, with some Spanish. They call themselves Mestizo, and they've developed an ethnic identity distinct from both. Why are you so concerned about it?
They don't look White? Most ARE likely White AND Indigenous (Asian) racially. Multiracial and if they were born here, grew up here, they are Americans of Mexican ancestry.

Why do they choose to isolate themselves?

Then again, how many "White" Americans can prove they are only White either? Plenty of "Whites" I know claim Native American blood therefore technically they are "Mestizo" but still claim White.

Also not all Hispanics are "Mestizo". I know it is a common mixture among Mexicans in the southwest (the bulk of Hispanics/Latinos in the USA), but not all are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
I don't know why so many people seem to think that European immigration only occurred in the United States. Just as many Europeans immigrated to Canada, Mexico, Argentina, etc. How can you say that all Mexicans are a "race" or color? Tan? Really? Is that an ethnicity? And how can you saw that all Hispanics are a color? Hispanic simply means that your mother tongue is Spanish. I can call Italian or African Americans Anglos and classify them as being a certain color. Yeah, it doesn't feel to good huh?
Yes, thank you. A lot of it is pure ignorance!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I agree with nearly all your thoughts on race and how ridiculous and selective it is, and I know you hate being lumped in with others by ignorants, BUT everybody likes to feel accepted and being part of a group is a great way to do that. I can see it affects you somewhat, but it affects those who want to call themselves brown, black or whatever way more. If it makes them feel good to identify with a whole group, that's great. Your being annoyed at being judged as a stereotype is your cross to bear. You can explain to everyone you meet person by person rather than wishing a whole 'race' of people didn't feel good about themselves.

It IS segregation, and people should try their best to assimilate when they come to a new country, but identifying with a group (even a potentially made up one), doesn't have to be exclusive from assimilating.
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
But the concept of race should be eliminated completely. Why encourage a new one, "American"? That creates segregation that otherwise would not even exist.
I don't mean to be an American race. I mean if your culture is American, than it is American. If you were born and raised in America you are American. Not a foreigner because your parents were born in another country and you are not the common Anglo-Saxon phenotype of the United States.

I consider myself a human of the world above all, however I grew up American in the United States, my culture/upbringing is American.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
I understand what you are trying to say and why you are getting mad. You don't like being called brown because you most closely resemble what we would call white. However you are doing the exact same mistake by wanting to label most Latin Americans as white and posting pictures to prove your case. If something bothers you it is the fact that there are Latin Americans / Hispanics that differ from you or your definition of what one should look like.

By the way, sometimes people don't choose to separate themselves but pretty much have to because they have already been separated before they were even born. If you are fully integrated among whites then it must be because like you said it, you are white. That is not the case for everybody and everybody has to be something.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I understand what you are trying to say and why you are getting mad. You don't like being called brown because you most closely resemble what we would call white. However you are doing the exact same mistake by wanting to label most Latin Americans as white and posting pictures to prove your case. If something bothers you it is the fact that there are Latin Americans / Hispanics that differ from you or your definition of what one should look like.

By the way, sometimes people don't choose to separate themselves but pretty much have to because they have already been separated before they were even born. If you are fully integrated among whites then it must be because like you said it, you are white. That is not the case for everybody and everybody has to be something.
The reason for the photos was to counter the idea/stereotype. I am White looking but I actually consider myself mixed race. However I do not know why certain individuals want to further segregate themselves. We should be doing away with ideas like "Brown Pride", "Black Power", "White Power". To the point many if not most Americans believe Hispanic/Latino is a race, even those that fall under the category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies