U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
Because they ARE brown.....like Europeans are "white", Africans are "black", Native Americans are "red" and Asians are "yellow". I am not sure how universally accepted being "brown" is vs. being black or white. I don't think it's okay to call somebody "yellow" or "red" in this country, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM

5,263 posts, read 7,166,994 times
You "taught" the Mexican's that Hispanic is not a race?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM

34 posts, read 100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Because they ARE brown.....like Europeans are "white", Africans are "black", Native Americans are "red" and Asians are "yellow". I am not sure how universally accepted being "brown" is vs. being black or white. I don't think it's okay to call somebody "yellow" or "red" in this country, for instance.
LOL, what???

Hispanics are not Brown, the majority in the United States vary from very pale to very tan; no different than native Europeans. Others have African Ancestry or are direct descendants, hence dark skin. This is due to the fact that Hispanics/Latinos are not a race. Just a collection of countries with a similar language, formally colonies of the Spanish Empire.

Asians Yellow? Oh boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You "taught" the Mexican's that Hispanic is not a race?
Yes, those I have reeducated on the subject had previously sincerely felt Hispanic/Latino is a race. It's as though they are raised to think that, technically in the United States, yes they are.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
These are colloquialisms that I did not make up.....I'm using others' words here, relax! I don't consider myself "white" as my skin is not much whiter than the average hispanic, yet I don't take offense if I'm called "white". Notice the quotation marks, by the way.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,637,171 times
We're all proud of who we are but if a white guy says he has white pride he can expect to be called racist, not to mention ostracized, monitored at work, or physically attacked. I don't consider myself "white pride" because I hate skinheads, white power wackos and I don't want to lumped with them. I think racist white people suck. On the other side, why say "brown pride" and conjure up the same vocabulary that builds a wall between you and other cultures. why root for your skin color and not for the human race?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 PM

34 posts, read 100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
These are colloquialisms that I did not make up.....I'm using others' words here, relax! I don't consider myself "white" as my skin is not much whiter than the average hispanic, yet I don't take offense if I'm called "white". Notice the quotation marks, by the way.
Lol, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
We're all proud of who we are but if a white guy says he has white pride he can expect to be called racist, not to mention ostracized, monitored at work, or physically attacked. I don't consider myself "white pride" because I hate skinheads, white power wackos and I don't want to lumped with them. I think racist white people suck. On the other side, why say "brown pride" and conjure up the same vocabulary that builds a wall between you and other cultures. why root for your skin color and not for the human race?
I agree.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM

8,463 posts, read 10,829,536 times
7 pages of thread and not one response from somebody who could be considered Mexican-American?

Until now.

For perspective, I grew up in Southern CA.

I'm not a fan of the "Brown Pride" or calling oneself "brown", but I think those that do, do so to distinguish themselves from the races present.

Some Mexicans and Mexican-Americans do not consider themselves to be the same as White, Black, or Asian Americans. They consider themselves to be distinct (-ly different) from all of the above -- they might not see themselves as being the same or equal to Whites.

Many Mexican/Mexican-Americans are taught that they are their own race (hence the term "La Raza, la conquista de Aztlan, etc.), so they are just regurgitating what they are taught. They don't know any different, most don't spend their time researching DNA, and/or the history of skin pigments.

As narrow as it sounds, I didn't understand why Hispanic wasn't considered a race until I was a young adult....for classifying purposes there typically are obvious differences between the average Mexican-American and the average White American, culturally, physically, linguistically, or otherwise.

For those who look at racial demographics when researching prospective neighborhoods to live in, how angry do you think someone looking to isolate themselves with, or from a particular racial/ethnic group would be when they find out the statistics didn't meet their perception? (not saying this type of thinking is right, but there are plenty of people out there who find this important).

Growing up in as diverse an environment as I did, segregation was still rampant. People tended to flock with their own kinds, the labels are visual even when they aren't always real.

I too believe we should all drop the labels, but if anything it looks as though segregation is a neverending story, in many areas of this country people are still separating themselves by race/ethnicity, either socially, verbally, by their actions, or residentially.

I don't think racial/ethnic pride has to do so much with isolation or self-segregation, but it might be that some feel that is their only defense or response against other groups doing it themselves.....like a shelter where one can hide and feel safe in brotherhood, a commonality shared amongst others that doesn't have to be earned.

OP, you can't legislate or indoctrinate intelligence. Just be happy with yourself.

Last edited by David Aguilar; 03-30-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,723,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
LOL, what???

Hispanics are not Brown, the majority in the United States vary from very pale to very tan; no different than native Europeans. Others have African Ancestry or are direct descendants, hence dark skin. This is due to the fact that Hispanics/Latinos are not a race. Just a collection of countries with a similar language, formally colonies of the Spanish Empire.

Asians Yellow? Oh boy...

Yes, those I have reeducated on the subject had previously sincerely felt Hispanic/Latino is a race. It's as though they are raised to think that, technically in the United States, yes they are.
Ok! You're white. We get it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM

687 posts, read 958,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
LOL, what???

Asians Yellow? Oh boy...

They have dark skin because of there Native American ancestry, Most Mexicans, Central americans and hispanic south americans are Mestizos, Most of which have a Predominate Native American ancestry.

Majority Mestizo/Amerindian countries ex.(Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, El salvador etc.)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 AM

775 posts, read 815,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
They have dark skin because of there Native American ancestry, Most Mexicans, Central americans and hispanic south americans are Mestizos, Most of which have a Predominate Native American ancestry.

Majority Mestizo/Amerindian countries ex.(Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, El salvador etc.)
Actually, I think you'll find 'most' people from South America have European ancestry and as such, are in fact white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies