Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Actually, I think you'll find 'most' people from South America have European ancestry and as such, are in fact white.

I'm talking about hispanic south americans not all south americans, and most hispanic south americans are either Mestizo(Indian-white mixed) or Amerindian, Amerindian and Mestizos make up the majority of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay and Chile.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
I'm talking about hispanic south americans not all south americans, and most hispanic south americans are either Mestizo(Indian-white mixed) or Amerindian, Amerindian and Mestizos make up the majority of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay and Chile.
File:America eng.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That image shows that yeah, you're right, in the countries you mentioned they are mostly not white. Having said that, Argentina, the second largest hispanic country, which you did not mention is massively white. So you were right, mostly.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
File:America eng.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That image shows that yeah, you're right, in the countries you mentioned they are mostly not white. Having said that, Argentina, the second largest hispanic country, which you did not mention is massively white. So you were right, mostly.

Right, I left out Argentina and Uruguay since there mostly white.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Right, I left out Argentina and Uruguay since there mostly white.
Well I can only assume that's why you left them out, but you may just have forgotten them. No matter, you were right, I hadn't done my research and was just going off of what previous posters said.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
I never got any of those color labels in the US. Perhaps it is because I didn't grow up here and don't have the awareness or background of those issues but I personally have rarely seen a so-called white person that was WHITE, except for albinos, neither have I seen a black person being BLACK. Taking pride in one's color, either way, is bs anyway in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I'm starting to get it...

'Browns' are people who were oppressed by Spaniards.

'Blacks' are people who were oppressed by the English.

But what about people of African ancestry who were oppressed by Spaniards and have Spanish surnames? Are they 'Black' or 'Brown'. Or both?
black ppl were (in many cases today still are) oppressed by the french, portuguese, dutch, the spanish AND the english.

there are black ppl that speak spanish (for example in pr, dr, cuba, colombia, honduras, etc.), dutch (curacao), portuguese (brazil), english (u.s., jamaica), french (haiti, parts of africa), etc.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
black ppl were (in many cases today still are) oppressed by the french, portuguese, dutch, the spanish AND the english.

there are black ppl that speak spanish (for example in pr, dr, cuba, colombia, honduras, etc.), dutch (curacao), portuguese (brazil), english (u.s., jamaica), french (haiti, parts of africa), etc.

Don't think in Honduras, the very small black population there is the Garifuna and I think they speak another language.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 PM

96 posts, read 245,466 times
Default $0.02

AMERICANGUY, my man. You make some great points, but it appears that you are exaggerating on the 'tan-ness' of Mexicans. Perhaps those are the only ones you are closely looking at. You had mentioned George Lopez of having a 'darker tan', when he is as brown as brown can get without being from India, and is also known for his 'brown Mexican pride'.

Also, you keep on indicating that Indigenous people are 'Asian', despite the fact that they've been completely removed and isolated from the continent for over hundreds of thousands of years, and have become a completely separate entity. It would be like calling Australian Aborigines 'Africans' even though we know that is not true. Or saying that the people of modern day Egypt are still predominately Nubian/black, when obviously the demographics have shifted to being a predominately Arab, Moor, Berber and 'white' population. Times change, people change. If you were to pull a random person from Korea, Vietnam or China, and put them beside a random person from rural Peru, Guatemala, or a tribesman from the Amazon, I guarantee you that you are going to find far more differences than you will similarities. There's a reason why the Census Bureau has Native Americans and Asian/Pacific Islanders in two completely separate categories.

Back to the question, 'Why do Mexicans say "Brown Pride" or that they are brown?', I think that's because a good amount of them are in fact brown. The demographics of Mexico's population have been documented to be 80% Mixed (predominately white and Native), 10% Indigenous (completely Native), 8% White (mostly people with Spanish roots), and the remaining minuscule percent going to blacks (who are most likely mixed as well) and Asian immigrants. I have honestly met just as many brown Mexicans as I have tan Mexicans, so it's not like every Mexican out there is tan (much like how not every Mexican out there is brown). I have also met a fair amount of full-blooded European white Mexicans. However it would seem that in Mexico, the whites are the only ones who would become celebrities, politicians, CEOs, as well as occupy the majority of the upperclass. They don't appear to be a part of 'La Raza' (or whatever they want to call it) unlike the 'brown pride' Mexicans that you see. They have no plans on crossing the border to America so that they can mow your lawn, nanny your children, or get ripped off by cheap American laborers. Most of the 'brown pride' Mexicans appear to be mostly of the mixed or full-blooded Native variety (and I can assure you that these 'brown pride' Mexicans don't want have anything to do with Latinos from countries that have a stronger African presence). I would assume that the reason why 'tan pride' (or even 'tan and brown pride') isn't used is because it doesn't sound nearly as bold as 'brown pride'.

You have to remember that the United States still uses the 'one drop rule', and generally views white people as those who are not mixed with a non-white ethnicity. So, unless you directly come from Europe, a Midwestern state like Iowa, or a nation with a significant white population such as Australia, or South Africa, then you're not going to be considered 'white' by default according to American standards. The only exception would be if you are able to look the part. For example, there are plenty of 'white' Americans who actually have large traces of black and Native American blood. And I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have noticed that Jason Kidd is half black without someone pointing it out. A lot of average Americans would've assumed that Jason Kidd was white and not Manu Ginobili, due to Ginobili's name and the fact that he is Latino because he comes from Argentina (and Mexico has a much larger brown population than Argentina) even though he is ethnically white. This is probably the double standard that bothers you. Does something like this make it right? Absolutely not. But this just illustrates how ignorant and @ss-backwards this country can get. Welcome to America.

If you want to take a look further look into double standards, then look at how black people are viewed in this country, who are able tell the differences between other blacks in this country by region (Northeast, Southern, Midwest & West Coast) along with the differences between Africans from different nations (Nigerians, Somalians & Ethiopians) as well as blacks from the West Indies, but to everyone else, they will most likely be lumped together. Blacks usually don't have the luxury in this country to separate and identify themselves from one another the same way Asians (and even some Hispanics) have successfully been able to do, because that's just how this country functions. Getting back to the 'one drop rule', even mixed race blacks such as Tiger Woods, Barack Obama, Halle Berry and Mariah Carey, who have clearly revealed their multiracial and/or international background will still identify themselves as 'black' and be proud of their African heritage which is perfectly fine, because it complies with the system this country has created. But the moment you drop them off in Sudan, the locals will quickly notice how much different and 'watered down' they are.

Anyway, I'm going off into another tangent. Just wanted to toss in my two cents.

Last edited by VIBЄ; 04-03-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 AM

39 posts, read 102,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
American,

You are wildly misinformed. You need to do a little more reading on Aztec and Mzyan civilizations. BTW: Whites will never accept Mexicans as being white, so if they have adopted "brown pride" as their unique calling card, so be it. What should they adopt? White Power?
Maya and Aztec civilization had little impact on the northern half of Mexico. Mexicans from the southern states are mostly of indigenous or mestizo (and mainly mestizos that are more indigenous than anything else).

However, northern Mexicans are more heavily Spanish, and in some of the older towns in the sierras, you may be hard pressed to find a truly brown, mostly Indigenous descended Spanish speaker. There are definitely indigenous people in the north, but they are in small, isolated groups and maintain non-Hispanic culture.

I do agree that they average white American does not think of Mexicans as white, and is probably unaware of the deep racial divisions that do exist in Mexico.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I never heard of "brown pride", that's kind of funny. To me, Hispanics are tan, and blacks are brown. I have never seen a black person, in the true sense of the word, in my life, and I doubt if anyone else has either, because "black" people are actually a deep, rich shade of brown, right?
You can't make any of the above generalizations. Those of African ancestry can range from pretty much damn near white to the blackest black. And so can Hispanics, because as a group that includes literally every major racial group on Earth, their color also ranges from the whitest of Scandinavian or Northern European white to the blackest African or East Indian.

Quote:
Maybe hispanics call themselves brown to distinguish from African-Americans calling themselves black. If African-Americans referred to themselves as brown (which they actually are), then hispanics might call themselves tan, although IDK, the word "tan" conjures up thoughts of tanning beds and bikinis.

Some Hispanics/Latinos are tan, some are brown, some are other colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies