Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
with a foreign language. As for science, my child is in preschool, so it's limited.

Foreign language Is this something new being taught in pre-school??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What is truly sad is that these food nazis will "approve" of pus-laden milk that is full of rGbh and other hormones, antibiotics, etc. as well as food products that are full of GMO grains, artificial ingredients and preservatives. Most people are completely and totally clueless as to what is "bad food" and what is not.

20yrsinBranson
Not all people think pus-laden milk or GMO grains are bad but unfortunately the elitists keep on telling us clueless uneducated folks
Quote:
what is "bad food" and what is not.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
What is truly sad is that these food nazis will "approve" of pus-laden milk that is full of rGbh and other hormones, antibiotics, etc. as well as food products that are full of GMO grains, artificial ingredients and preservatives. Most people are completely and totally clueless as to what is "bad food" and what is not.

20yrsinBranson
Yes, but perhaps we can all agree that elementary aged kids loading up on chips, soda and candy before school is bad.

The 'food Nazis' in the context of this thread are hoping the parents of these kids put food of any kind on the table, they don't care whether the milk has rGbh in it, they just care that they have milk.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, they are people that live in the community trying to do the right thing by the kids that live in that community. It's the same type of community that is always maligned for being lazy, poor, welfare and food stamp loving.

The "brownshirts" are parents and grandparents that are trying to change the course of the downslide in these kids' lives. They are people in the neighborhood trying to do a positive thing for their kids. They are the same people who chase the crack dealers from the corner.

They are the type of community mostly despised by the average American. Yet when they do something to affect positive change, take responsibility, if you will, they're called "Nazi Stormtroopers" and "Brownshirts".

Well, which would you rather? More and more of your tax money going into the neighborhood because it's turning out a bunch of obese, disabled adults who can't work, or somebody trying to do something about it?
Giving advice and searching bags is two very different types of "positive change." You should learn the difference between the two methods with the quickness. Why don't I come check your bags for junk food every time you go to the grocery store? I'm sure you'd love that, now wouldn't you? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Yes, but perhaps we can all agree that elementary aged kids loading up on chips, soda and candy before school is bad.
If the parents were so concerned over this "bad" food I guess they wouldn't be giving them money to go to the store and buy things on their own huh?

I guess if these Gestapo types were that concerned they would have the balls to seek out the parents and tell them what is good for their children.......

Nothing like do-gooders and their attitudes to kill the American dream of live and let live.......

Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:

The 'food Nazis' in the context of this thread are hoping the parents of these kids put food of any kind on the table, they don't care whether the milk has rGbh in it, they just care that they have milk.
Did you just say what I think you said?

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson

Good point. "Bad" food is in the eye of the beholder.

But, let's be honest here...is it REALLY about the kids or about control and power, just as it was with smoking?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If the parents were so concerned over this "bad" food I guess they wouldn't be giving them money to go to the store and buy things on their own huh?

I guess if these Gestapo types were that concerned they would have the balls to seek out the parents and tell them what is good for their children.......

Nothing like do-gooders and their attitudes to kill the American dream of live and let live.......
OK. None of you get it at all. This is not about "do gooders". This is about people in one of the most god awful poor neighborhoods in Philly helping out their own kids. This is about trying to get them to change their behavior, so they have a better shot at life.

The principal of the school saw a need in her community regarding their youngest members and is hoping to help them as much as she can.

I'm sure they have tried to educate the parents. I'm not saying every parent in this hood doesn't understand the value of healthy eating for KIDS. But a lot of them likely don't see anything wrong with their kids' eating habits, and eat the same way.

Let me put it to you this way, would you rather see the kids repeat the same mistakes as their parents, or not?

And I'm sure you hate the idea of welfare for these kids that become obese by the time they're in their teens, and need your tax dollars to fund their health care and their disability checks. A lot of the parents don't see anything wrong with that, either - just as they give the kids money to spend on crap. Does that make it better?

If someone is trying to do good in their own blighted neighborhood, why can't you just live and let live?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

The State of Arkansas school systems already have the authority to do that.

Under bills passed at the behest of then Gov. Mike Huckabee, schools are required to measure the body fat of students and alert parents when they're getting "too fat" to please the bureaucrats in the Dept. of Education. If students don't "improve," the school system can go to the child's home and "educate" the parents on what they're doing wrong.

How much longer before the "crisis" becomes severe enough that the schools are handed the power to compell parents to do what they want?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
OK. None of you get it at all. This is not about "do gooders". This is about people in one of the most god awful poor neighborhoods in Philly helping out their own kids. This is about trying to get them to change their behavior, so they have a better shot at life.

The principal of the school saw a need in her community regarding their youngest members and is hoping to help them as much as she can.

I'm sure they have tried to educate the parents. I'm not saying every parent in this hood doesn't understand the value of healthy eating for KIDS. But a lot of them likely don't see anything wrong with their kids' eating habits, and eat the same way.

Let me put it to you this way, would you rather see the kids repeat the same mistakes as their parents, or not?

And I'm sure you hate the idea of welfare for these kids that become obese by the time they're in their teens, and need your tax dollars to fund their health care and their disability checks. A lot of the parents don't see anything wrong with that, either - just as they give the kids money to spend on crap. Does that make it better?

If someone is trying to do good in their own blighted neighborhood, why can't you just live and let live?
From this theory one can deduce that you'd support the government placing limitations on what types of food can be bought with food stamps. Am I correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies