Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Yes, not all hispanics, especially those who love this country want to see the further Balkinization of the USA. It's extremely foolish to promote language divisions and a country where the people cannot communicate with one another.

If people want to come to the USA, it should not just be about their money-lust. They shouldn't love only the US money but also want to assimilate, have some ability to adapt and learn, especially to learn the language.

Otherwise, if people cannot learn the language of a country they should consider staying home or leaving their country for a country whose language they are willing or able to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sorry but how does Sears get away with banning Spanish spoken among employees?
I thought the Sears situation involved just the trainer asking future employees to speak English during the training session.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but how does Sears get away with banning Spanish spoken among employees?

How does Arizona get away with passing legislation that is bigoted consider that over 40% of the states citizens are Hispanic.

At some point, you have to blame Hispanics for their apathy and not taking the initiative to register and vote. How does Jan Brewer win reelection in a Hispanic populated state like Arizona.

With so many LEGAL Hispanics living in this country, how does legislation or store policies pass??
I guess you totally missed the protest over SB 1070?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM

157 posts, read 140,726 times
Good for Sears and Arizona. Hopefully Americans are starting to stand up and make things right in our country.

I'll do my part; it's English only and illegals get reported to the authorties and hounded until something is done. I'll continue to vote for Americans who deserve office, and not vote for those with a hidden agenda like further the hispanic cause.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:

How does Arizona get away with passing legislation that is bigoted consider that over 40% of the states citizens are Hispanic.

At some point, you have to blame Hispanics for their apathy and not taking the initiative to register and vote. How does Jan Brewer win reelection in a Hispanic populated state like Arizona.

With so many LEGAL Hispanics living in this country, how does legislation or store policies pass??
It's impolite to speak another language behind someone's back if they speak English.
If they don't speak any English at all, you have to wonder about their legal status here, because the likelihood that the country let's someone in on non-farming visas for work anywhere else without English is slim.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Good for Sears and Arizona. Hopefully Americans are starting to stand up and make things right in our country.

I'll do my part; it's English only and illegals get reported to the authorties and hounded until something is done. I'll continue to vote for Americans who deserve office, and not vote for those with a hidden agenda like further the hispanic cause.
To imply that there is a "hispanic cause" is to imply that Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Argentinians, Chileans, Bolivians (and more) are all in on this. Rest assured, they are not. What you mean to say is "the illegal Mexican" cause.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Some of the legislation you mention is aimed at illegal immigrants. Hispanics here legally don't necessarily want to be the advocates for illegal immigrants-- some do, of course, but it's not a homogeneous "cause." As far as language issues, you will find some hispanics who discourage Spanish speaking themselves and encourage english only in the house, or at least an emphasis on english. It varies family to family.

The illegal immigrants are less likely to protest because they are, well, illegal and don't want to attract attention to themselves. That doesn't mean that none will protest but you definitely don't have all 12 million storming the streets.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Maybe they are illegal
Yes. I would bet they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I can see the rationale and philosophy behind "English Only" among employees at work... I 90% agree with it.

Back to OP: Did you ever think that sometimes, "Hispanics" agree with policies towards illegals and promoting assimilation and American culture? Just because you have a Spanish last name doesn't mean you have to support Mexican-firsters, the reconquista, illegal immigration or resist assimilation.
Sometimes, but if rules had to be implemented chances are the "Hispanics" in this situation did not agree with policies towards illegals or there would be no controversy.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not all illegals, the Mexican-firsters who refuse to assimilate or learn English are often brought in through family chain migration. Families sponsor their extended family members who of course lust for American money and quickly abandon their homeland for it. However once here they pretend to have much love for their country and it's flag and language. Too bad they never did a single thing to improve it. American money trumps everything.
Yes some are legal

But the majority are illegally here

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I'm Hispanic. I vote & I protest. English is my second language and I feel that all should come into this country legally. I also have no problem with a store (Sears) mandating that the employees speak English. It is their right and it is very appropriate. However, it would behoove them to have Spanish-speaking employees as it may come in handy. No point turning away good money.
you need to stop making so much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies