Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Obama problem is he failed what he said the standard ws of a immentent national seciurity threat which he said Bush afiled to meeet. Sadam had i fact done everyhting from gasssing the krurds;puttiing don't the revolt after dessert storm ;flood the marsh to starve other Kurds. That was not acceotable to him and democrats;there had to be foud weapons of mass destruction.He failed his own test and even then never consulted congressbecause I thnik he knew what the answer would be without porving the case.
Yes but you are missing two key points. We sent over 100,000 troops to Iraq in a full scale war, very differenct then what is happening in Libya.

Secondly, Libya almost had a nuclear weapon in the near past (1999-2002), Iraq hasnt been close to getting nukes since the early 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
I really like Rand Paul, but like whatyousay, I can't see this at work.

I'm REALLY torn on this issue. I know the cost is prohibitive, but when was the last time we went into a country because the people WANTED us there? Kuwait? And weren't they ungrateful and never paid us back? No....., I believe they donated $1 million for Katrina relief. So, maybe the Libyan people will be eternally grateful and that will go a ways toward repairing our image in that part of the world....

on the OTHER hand, I don't appreciate Obama's hypocrisy. If I had voted for him and it was based on his anti-war stance, I'd be pretty upset right now. I don't want to be against Obama because I'm an R and he is a D, that's childish, but I sure hear it on a lot of right-wing radio shows.

I dunno. I really can't come down on one side or the other, so I guess without a strong opinion, I have to support my President.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:43 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Seems logical and level headed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrrV_Txg47Q
The bottom line is that we just can't afford these wars anymore. We're broke and are living off credit cards. What is so hard to understand about that?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The bottom line is that we just can't afford these wars anymore. We're broke and are living off credit cards. What is so hard to understand about that?
Makes it pretty simple, doesn't it!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
on the OTHER hand, I don't appreciate Obama's hypocrisy. If I had voted for him and it was based on his anti-war stance, I'd be pretty upset right now. I don't want to be against Obama because I'm an R and he is a D, that's childish, but I sure hear it on a lot of right-wing radio shows.

I dunno. I really can't come down on one side or the other, so I guess without a strong opinion, I have to support my President.
I saw candidate Obama as a pragmatist, and I see that in President Obama as well. He was not an “anti-war” ideologue. He was against unnecessary wars (Iraq) but very much supported the efforts in Afghanistan. Would Libyan conflict qualify as a war? One could argue, it isn’t a war at least as of now. Enforcing No Fly Zone on humanitarian grounds is not unprecedented. Both, HW Bush and Clinton did that against Iraq. That wasn’t “war”.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Problem with the no fly zone in Libya is,it allows attacking any and all military forces of the side we do not support...well at least that is what we are currently doing.
Same cannot be said for Iraq and it's no fly zone.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
OK George Bush. Any other predictions? That man's navy is a bunch of row boats and their airforce consists of BB guns mounted on top of Wright Brothers 1903 planes. I don't think he was a threat.
Ok Rev. Wright. Wasn't there terror sponsored by this Bozo before?
No way he is allowed to stay IMO.
At the very least they will give him amnesty and a load of money to go away.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Leaving the tyrant alive will create a new imminent threat to the USA as the tyrant seeks revenge like he did with the airlines in the past.
This time probably he'll buy a nuclear weapon and come a calling!

Obammy made another whammy!

He had no reason to seek revenge on the USA, but now he does.
He was shouting Al Quada and you know what, he was right.
Why are we not arming the rebel's , again?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He had no reason to seek revenge on the USA, but now he does.
He was shouting Al Quada and you know what, he was right.
Why are we not arming the rebel's , again?
Gaddafi accused Western powers of massacres of Libyan civilians in alliance with rebels he said were al Qaeda members.

"Stop your brutal and unjust attack on our country ... Hundreds of Libyans are being killed because of this bombardment. Massacres are being mercilessly committed against the Libyan people," he said in a letter to world leaders.

"We are a people united behind the leadership of the revolution, facing the terrorism of al Qaeda on the one hand and on the other hand terrorism by NATO, which now directly supports al Qaeda," Libya's official news agency quoted him as saying.

Then you have, this:

The rebels deny any al Qaeda links and on Tuesday promised free and fair elections if Gaddafi is forced from power.

Admiral James Stavridis, head of U.S. European Command, told the U.S. Senate there was no indication of any "significant al Qaeda presence or any other terrorist presence."

Then there's this:

Now a growing number of news outlets are reporting that Libyan rebel leaders fought against U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Pentagon officials acknowledge the presence of al-Qaeda and Hezbollah among the ranks of the rebels. Pentagon officials further state that we’re not communicating with the rebels, yet U.N. ambassador Susan Rice asserts that the administration hasn’t ruled out arming them.

And finally:

Libyan rebel commander admits his fighters have al-Qaeda links - Telegraph

Mr al-Hasidi admitted he had earlier fought against "the foreign invasion" in Afghanistan, before being "captured in 2002 in Peshwar, in Pakistan". He was later handed over to the US, and then held in Libya before being released in 2008.

Why is it that difficult to tell who is telling the
truth, and why doesn't our government know
who the rebels are

Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I really like Rand Paul, but like whatyousay, I can't see this at work.

If I had voted for him and it was based on his anti-war stance, I'd be pretty upset right now.
Who thought Obama was anti-war.
When he campaigned, all he talked about was continuing
Afghanistan and going to the cave where Bin Laden was.
I'm actually surprised he hasn't tried to bring
back the draft. But maybe now that he's got three wars
going on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies