Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Gorbachev came to power via a 1985 Soviet Politburo election. He initiated perestroika (restructuring) in 1986 and glasnost in 1988. The scaling-down of nuclear arsenals was initiated by Gorbachev during his meetings with Reagan. Reagan's much-ballyhooed "tear down this wall!" came in a speech made after Gorbachev had begun reforms in The USSR.

In 1990, Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I forget which year Reagan won his!
Were you even alive during that time? Your "memories" are quite different than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
These are some of my favorites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
He supported the violent overthrow of the Democratically elected government in Nicaragua by supporting the terrorist Contras and allowing them to deal crack-cocaine to the United States. He would later decimate the urban black community by instituting such non-sensical drug laws like the 100-1 crack-cocaine prison sentence disparity law.
Quote:
According to one of the released cables which appeared on the website of Spain's El Pais newspaper on Monday: "Daniel Ortega and the Sandinistas have regularly received money to finance [his party] FSLN electoral campaigns from international drug traffickers, usually in return for ordering Sandinista judges to allow traffickers caught by the police and military to go free."

Furthermore, it says: "In 1984, Daniel Ortega negotiated a deal with Colombian drug kingpin Pablo Escobar whereby Escobar received refuge for several months in Nicaragua after he had ordered the killing of the Colombian minister of justice."

In return, Mr Ortega and his party, the FSLN, received large cash payments from Pablo Escobar, it adds.
BBC News - Wikileaks: Nicaragua's Ortega 'financed by drugs money'
Cable en el que jueces sandinistas ponen en libertad a 'narcos' a cambio de dinero | Internacional | EL PAÍS

So let us get this straight. Liberals hated drugs before Reagan came into office. I mean it's not like they spent an entire decade in a drug induced coma or anything in the 60's and 70's. Reagan caused the crack epidemic and at the same time dealt the harshest sentences for crack dealers/users.

Quote:
The Reagan administartion armed and supported the Mujahedeen rebels in Afghanistan-who later became Al Qaeda. He allowed Pakistan to develop nuclear weapon technology as they were supporting the Afghan jihadists-including Osama Bin Laden..
Quote:
In two recent statements, Sen. Rand Paul made the unsubstantiated claim that the U.S. government once “armed” and “funded” Osama bin Laden. The CIA and several of its top officials deny that the U.S. ever recruited, trained, armed or funded bin Laden during the Afghan war over Soviet occupation in the 1980s. Bin Laden himself has denied it.

Although the specter of a CIA-bin Laden link has been raised often since 9/11, no evidence has emerged to back it up. The CIA did covertly finance and arm Islamic fundamentalist Afghan factions in the fight against the Soviets, but the CIA has long maintained that it did not support the Arab fighters — including bin Laden — who came to Afghanistan to fight in solidarity with a Muslim country.
Rand Paul’s Bin Laden Claim Is ‘Urban Myth’

Quote:
Reagan ignored the gay community and did not mention AIDS until 1986-after tens of thousands had died..
Quote:
He often claims that Reagan never mentioned AIDS for the first seven years of his presidency. Although this falsehood is easily checked, it has spread, like its own kind of virus, into official government documents, liberals’ institutional memories, and countless news accounts from organizations with contrary evidence in their own files. It’s a fabrication with consequences. Three years after Reagan’s death, a New York Review of Books essay offering a measured reassessment of Reagan prompted this response from Kramer...

For the record, Reagan first mentioned AIDS, in response to a question at a press conference, on Sept. 17, 1985. On Feb. 5, 1986, he made a surprise visit to the Department of Health and Human Services where he said, “One of our highest public health priorities is going to be continuing to find a cure for AIDS.” He also announced that he’d tasked Surgeon General C. Everett Koop to prepare a major report on the disease. Contrary to the prevailing wisdom, Reagan dragged Koop into AIDS policy, not the other way around.

As for Waxman’s recollections about AIDS funding, he does an unusual thing for a politician: He’s forgotten the success he and other Democrats had in convincing Reagan to spend more money. The administration increased AIDS funding requests from $8 million in 1982 to $26.5 million in 1983, which Congress bumped to $44 million, a number that doubled every year thereafter during Reagan’s presidency.
Ronald Reagan and AIDS: Correcting the Record | RealClearPolitics

Opps...

Quote:
Blacks had nearly closed the income gap on whites-right until Reagan was elected when it blew up.
You're freaking delusional.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...over-years.png

But, hey, in liberal la la land facts don't matter if you repeat lies often enough.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

You're freaking delusional.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...over-years.png

But, hey, in liberal la la land facts don't matter if you repeat lies often enough.
Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so. Ronald Reagan

Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Were you even alive during that time? Your "memories" are quite different than mine.
Yup, I was alive, and I actually paid attention to world events. This is pretty easy stuff to look up for anyone who wants to get past the Reagan-worship stage of life.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yup, I was alive, and I actually paid attention to world events. This is pretty easy stuff to look up for anyone who wants to get past the Reagan-worship stage of life.
I don't worship the man. How ridiculous. But there are definitely people who remember things much differently than you. I don't need to look up revisionist history.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Gorbachev came to power via a 1985 Soviet Politburo election.!
Yeah, in which Gromyko had the deciding vote. In 1984 Reagan met with Gromyko and in that meeting Gromyko told Reagan he knew what his plan was and that he was going to undermine the Soviet system in hopes of changing their system. It the very first part of NSDD-75 that was created in Jan. 1983. The reason the Reagan administration waited till 1983 was because they wanted to turn the economy around first and then work on ending the Cold War.

Quote:
He initiated perestroika (restructuring) in 1986 and glasnost in 1988. The scaling-down of nuclear arsenals was initiated by Gorbachev during his meetings with Reagan. Reagan's much-ballyhooed "tear down this wall!" came in a speech made after Gorbachev had begun reforms in The USSR.

In 1990, Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I forget which year Reagan won his!
Blah, blah, blah.

You don't have the guts or courage to even look at NSDD-75 or any of the other documents regarding the meetings with Gorbachev. Reagan negotiated from a position of power by choice. Gorbachev had no freaking choice but to initiate changes because the people of the SU were already seeing how corrupt their system was and now they have the POTUS saying it blatantly live on TV and making jokes about them at nearly ever press conference or any other meetings where it would be on TV.

PBS even calls you a freaking joke.

Quote:
In the 1985 Geneva summit, progress on arms control had foundered over Gorbachev's insistence on scrapping SDI, and Reagan's commitment to its development. The October 1986 summit between Reagan and Gorbachev, in Reykjavik, Iceland, also ended in a stalemate. At this second summit, Reagan still refused to budge on SDI, and Gorbachev refused to make further concessions without compromise. But at the third summit, in Washington, DC, in December 1987, Gorbachev yielded to Reagan's terms. The USSR was in dire economic straits, and Gorbachev needed a respite from the arms race.

When Reagan and Gorbachev signed the INF Treaty in Washington, in 1987, the first treaty to reduce the number of nuclear weapons, the United States and Western Europe rejoiced. Later when they called each other "friend" in Moscow, many saw it as "the ratification of their mutual desire for peace." For the Soviet Union, however, the end of the Cold War triggered new problems. Gorbachev's economic reforms were failing, and the far-flung Soviet republics were using glasnost to demand independence.
Mikhail Gorbachev . Reagan . WGBH American Experience | PBS

This is your queue to rant about SDI...

Then I respond with "If SDI didn't mean anything then why was it such a requirement to castrate it during negotiations?"

Then that's your que to ****...

I know, we've done this 100 times on this board for the not-too-bright.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I don't worship the man. How ridiculous. But there are definitely people who remember things much differently than you. I don't need to look up revisionist history.
People often remember things the way they want to, but no one has a right to "remember" things which conflict with historical records. This isn't ancient history. Gorbachev's political career is well-documented via numerous archival resources in countries and languages throughout the world, as is Reagan's legacy.

If you want to argue that the entire world is engaging you in a conspiracy of historical revisionism, okay?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Nancy told me to just say no, so when asked if I liked Reagan, I say no.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
People often remember things the way they want to, but no one has a right to "remember" things which conflict with historical records. This isn't ancient history. Gorbachev's political career is well-documented via numerous archival resources in countries and languages throughout the world, as is Reagan's legacy.

If you want to argue that the entire world is engaging you in a conspiracy of historical revisionism, okay?
I'm sorry but we will have to disagree. No one mentioned a conspiracy. Please try not to fabricate events that did not occur. It seems to be a problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yeah, in which Gromyko had the deciding vote. In 1984 Reagan met with Gromyko and in that meeting Gromyko told Reagan he knew what his plan was and that he was going to undermine the Soviet system in hopes of changing their system. It the very first part of NSDD-75 that was created in Jan. 1983. The reason the Reagan administration waited till 1983 was because they wanted to turn the economy around first and then work on ending the Cold War.

Blah, blah, blah.

You don't have the guts or courage to even look at NSDD-75 or any of the other documents regarding the meetings with Gorbachev. Reagan negotiated from a position of power by choice. Gorbachev had no freaking choice but to initiate changes because the people of the SU were already seeing how corrupt their system was and now they have the POTUS saying it blatantly live on TV and making jokes about them at nearly ever press conference or any other meetings where it would be on TV.

PBS even calls you a freaking joke.

Mikhail Gorbachev . Reagan . WGBH American Experience | PBS

This is your queue to rant about SDI...

Then I respond with "If SDI didn't mean anything then why was it such a requirement to castrate it during negotiations?"

Then that's your que to ****...

I know, we've done this 100 times on this board for the not-too-bright.
So Reagan wanted to end the cold war?

Here's a link to Nobelprize.org explaining why Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1990

Mikhail Gorbachev - Facts

Note that 1973, 1978, 1993, and 1994 all saw co-winners who had been mutually responsible for negotiated peace treaties. Reagan was not a co-recipient of the 1990 award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies