Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh my God!!!

All of you bashing people who have different political perspectives as stupid, uneducated, easily brainwashed, are you all crazy?????

People vote for the political party they identify with. There are many reasons. People vote for the party they've traditionally supported. People vote for certain parties because of specific issues, like abortion, or like guns, or like education. People vote for certain parties because the social groups they interact with tend to vote for certain parties, and since people identify with other members of their social groups, voting is an activity that unifies those social groups, be it family, church, friends, or the other dog owners at the dog park on Saturday mornings. People vote for certain candidates because something about that candidate pings with them.

The person who voted for the party that you didn't support is not by virtue of that vote, stupid, or ignorant, or uninformed, or uneducated. The person who voted for the party that you didn't support has different priorities and a different perspective from you. It might be a good idea to actually have a respectful conversation with that person. It might even be a mark of intelligence to try to exchange ideas rather than to enter the fray and start calling the other person names.
can't rep you until I spread it around, but good post.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM

179 posts, read 141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poor Whites vote Republican because the Republicans make them feel strong and safe from the gun grabbers and the undesirables (blacks, Asians, Mexicans etc) while supporting their fundamentalist Christianity. Republican politicians convince the poor that they are just like us.

This is the greatest snow job ever. The Republican plutocrats are just good actors backed by very good advertizers.
Very good post! Here's just from UNC to verify.. [url="http://www.learnnc.org/lp/external/982"]

Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times
There actually are people who don't resent
anyone who has a dollar more than they do.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,116 times
Most of them vote for republicans because they vote on issues that are more social than economic, if they don't have much and get by ok, they don't really worry about being rich, they know they won't get there, they are not dumb. So, they vote on their social issues, abortion, religious beliefs, and things like that.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM

77 posts, read 466,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's see

1. They send YOUR children to war. Make no mistake, your kids are the ones fighting this war not rich peoples' kids.
Apparently so does Obama.

2. They outsource YOUR jobs overseas.
Thats not only the republicans. Welcome to 21st century america. We are all f'ed
Why would you vote for a Republican then? Are two gays being denied marriage rights that much more important than working and not having your children die in battle?
You know what I am not anti gay marriage at all. I registered republican and try to educate my self on the ballot's candidates. If it's a weird office I know nothing about than I skip rather than voting randomly. I actually voted more Dem than republican last election.
I don't get it. Please explain,

Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger62790 View Post
What war has Obama started?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
And some of us have learned to work at a job we enjoy rather than a job we hate which earns plenty cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
When I graduated from High School in 1980 and started working for $5.00 per hour, I knew that I wanted better.

I remember thinking "If I could make $500 a week, I could live great!"

I was right.

When I 1st made $50,000 per year, about 1989, I though "If I could make $100,000 a year, I could live great!"

I was right.

High expectations equal high outcomes.

If YOU don't care enough about yourself, why should someone else?

Yes. People stay poor because of a lack of focus, lack of personal responsibility and low expectations.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
not sure I know what you are trying to say, not sure you know either.

1) The wealthy currently pay most , if not all, of their income taxes at the capital gains rate of 15%. The capital gains rate is not progressive, it is the same no matter how much you make (one exception, a lower income earner can zero out part of their long term cap gains if they are below something like 40k or 50k...)

2) you are thinking of FICA tax, that is the SS payments taken from income. First, it is capped somewhere around $100k, so someone making 100 miillion would pay the same FICA as someone making 100k. At that, I'm not sure the wealthy pay FICA on capital gains.

3) not sure what you meant to say. you thinking of a VAT tax?

the big difference between the working poor paying 15% of their money in taxes and the wealthy paying 15% of their money in taxes, is that the working poor spend most of their available money just to make ends meet. They are likely deep in debt paying interest (lost money) on multiple loans or credit cards. The wealthy on the other hand have vast cash reserves and high net worth and seldom have loans or credit costs. Most of their income is saved or put back into investments to earn more, in other words, they want it but they don't need it.

A 1% raise for someone making $50,000 is only $500, for someone making a $100,000,000 that would be another $1,000,000,000. Big difference, for the working poor it means maybe one house payment, for the wealthy earner it means setting up someone for debt free life of leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
1. the amount would be close to 23 %

2. It would not change to price of anything, because federal taxes paid on the behalf of workers (Employers pay ½),are already rolled into the cost of everything.

3. Bottom line, you would keep your entire check minus state taxes, the cost of everything would remain the same, because taxes paid on behalf of all employees associated with the manufacture/delivery of goods and services would no longer have to be rolled into the cost of anything, and people would have more money to spend.

This also means that while the Millionaire MAY pay more, it actually turns out to be less due to the fact that his money is not "AFTER" taxes, and the cost of goods and services would not change in the over all.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM

77 posts, read 466,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
The war he sent us to is the Libya Conflict. Never said he started it but he did get america involved. Its another BS political game. NATO don't like Gadafi(sp). They saw an oppurtunity to get rid of him and Obama said "OK!".

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Lybia, ground troops are on the way, ships and jets have been in combat already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies