Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
A strong belief that roughly 2000 years ago a Jewish carpenter was crucified so that all humans who believe in Him as the Son of God will be forgiven for their sins.
So you do mean Christian (and from what I gather specifically conservative evangelical Christianity). I find that a bit strange. Are you regularly dismissive of other religions? Is a devout Hindu not "religious" in your eyes?

I'm a big city, educated progressive (who happens to be an atheist) with many big city, educated progressive friends. Most of these friends are religious - some very deeply so.

A majority of my big city, educated progressive friends are Christian. They belong to liberal Christian churches - primarily Unitarian Universalist and Quaker. They believe that Jesus Christ is their lord and savior and died for their sins. They also believe in alternative energy, pacifism, gay rights (including gay marriage), and other progressive causes.

Also, a sizable minority of my deeply religious big city, educated progressive friends are non-Christian. I have several very devout Buddhist friends, and one of my best friends is a very devout and very active Wiccan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Are you regularly dismissive of other religions? Is a devout Hindu not "religious" in your eyes?
I'm sorry I didn't include all of the world's religions with summary in my little forum post. Next time I'll take a day off from work and get right on that.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
It is hard to imagine a Whole Foods shopping, NPR listening, electric car driving, Mother Jones reading progressive from, say, Seattle getting down on his or her knees and praying to Jesus Christ for eternal salvation and forgiveness of his or her sins.

I've never seen anyone sipping a chai latte and reading the New Testament at Starbucks.

Can this combination actually exist?
Sure, why not. There is nothing that you mentioned inconsistant with Christianity.

What I find more interesting are those that advocate killing, torture and other wonderful things to be Christians, but then maybe they have a reason for getting down on their knees and praying for eternal salvation and forgiveness of their sins.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't include all of the world's religions with summary in my little forum post. Next time I'll take a day off from work and get right on that.
Haha. Taking a day off to include "all of the world's religions" wouldn't be necessary at all. Just don't limit your original question the way you did.

You asked a simple question: "Can educated, big-city progressives be religious." You then limited the question by defining (first implying and then explicitly when I called you out) "religious" as "Christian." By doing this, you're being dismissive of adherents of non-Christian religions, and it sends the message that you don't view other religions as valid.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
You asked a simple question: "Can educated, big-city progressives be religious." You then limited the question by defining (first implying and then explicitly when I called you out) "religious" as "Christian." By doing this, you're being dismissive of adherents of non-Christian religions, and it sends the message that you don't view other religions as valid.
If this is worrying you so much then why not participate in some of the other threads in this sub-forum and ignore this one?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
My fiancee is all three.

Personally very deep traditional values, also into that "social justice" crap too.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
If this is worrying you so much then why not participate any some of the other threads in this sub-forum and ignore this one?
I like the topic, plus you seemed to think that educated, big city liberals and Christianity can't mix. I was happy to dispel you of that ignorance. You also seem to think that only Christians can be deeply religious. I was happy to dispel you of that ignorance too.

The fact is most educated, big city liberals are religious - and mostly Christian. They attend liberal Christian congregations such as UU and Quaker churches. They also tend to view their Christianity as a private thing. They tend to be accepting of other peoples' religions and right to believe differently. They don't tend to spend every waking moment talking about their religion to people who have no interest in hearing about it. They don't try to force other people to live and believe as they do.

I find them to be much less judgmental than their conservative Christian brethren.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you do mean Christian (and from what I gather specifically conservative evangelical Christianity). I find that a bit strange. Are you regularly dismissive of other religions? Is a devout Hindu not "religious" in your eyes?

I'm a big city, educated progressive (who happens to be an atheist) with many big city, educated progressive friends. Most of these friends are religious - some very deeply so.

A majority of my big city, educated progressive friends are Christian. They belong to liberal Christian churches - primarily Unitarian Universalist and Quaker. They believe that Jesus Christ is their lord and savior and died for their sins. They also believe in alternative energy, pacifism, gay rights (including gay marriage), and other progressive causes.

Also, a sizable minority of my deeply religious big city, educated progressive friends are non-Christian. I have several very devout Buddhist friends, and one of my best friends is a very devout and very active Wiccan.
Good for you Especially for having a Wiccan friend.
I'm an atheist, but I have Wiccan friends and if
I had to pick a religion, that probably would be it.

And yes, it is possibly to be highly educated and
Christian or any other religion for that matter.
I think someone can have intellect and faith
at the same time

Similar to walking and chewing gum at the same time

Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My fiancee is all three.

Personally very deep traditional values, also into that "social justice" crap too.
Sounds like you will be marrying up.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
It is hard to imagine a Whole Foods shopping, NPR listening, electric car driving, Mother Jones reading progressive from, say, Seattle getting down on his or her knees and praying to Jesus Christ for eternal salvation and forgiveness of his or her sins.

I've never seen anyone sipping a chai latte and reading the New Testament at Starbucks.

Can this combination actually exist?
Educated and progressive..yes
Educated and religious..yes
progressive and religious..their ideals clash so no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies