Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I think that the biggest policy change would be...
huge cuts in entitlement programs (food stamps, etc.) 19 48.72%
Defense of Marriage Act signed into law. 3 7.69%
a full investigation into the activities of the Obama Administration. 6 15.38%
other (please explain). 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,185,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not HATE anyone. I can predict the actions of the people in charge that are multibillionaire businessmen that have been told all their lives that self interest, greed and power are the only important things in life and that is good to exploit others. They also work in hierarchical organizations that are run by petty despots. Businesses are not Democracies although they could be run more as representative republics and probably make more profit. I may not hate anyone but I do despise businessmen that use their influence (bribes) to have the government ignore or help establish uncompetitive monopolies. Monopolies are the death of free markets and the logical outcome of unregulated Capitalist Corporatism.

I believe th Republicans will eliminate any government impediments to monopolistic corporatism and use the taxes collected from the bottom 70% to expand our Military Empire while funneling vast amounts of money to the monopolist military industries. I also expect them to gut any and all welfare programs, educational aid, and public transportation. I would not be surprised if they corporatized our National Parks and other public places. In addition I expect English to be made our Official language, Protestant Christianity our Official Religion, Abortion to be forbidden, Wall-Mart would be the only retailer and the rest of our productive industry shipped overseas. Most likely we would end up with a society and economy similar to Brazil with no environmental controls and masses of very poor working people and an infinitesimal population of ultra rich.

Preventing these are the reasons I am a Liberal and a Democrat. I want a functioning Republic open to all and not a plutocracy dominated by a set of tyrants.
My God, Greg, who offers all the jobs (outside government) and pays the salaries of the people who take those jobs? I always thought it was business men who do those things, and you sound like you don't believe that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
However, you have said in other threads that you will vote for him again.

Gee....I wonder why?
I think it might be that big D that comes after his name.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,935,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Wow, 3 pages and no mention of Republican plans to get us out of this recession.
What recession? We have been out of the recession for a year now.. Obamas stimulus bill saved us all.. What are you talking about?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What recession? We have been out of the recession for a year now.. Obamas stimulus bill saved us all.. What are you talking about?
The best part of Gary's suggestion would have to be that the Republicans haven't been allowed to advance anything in the way of ideas since 2007 in the House and 2009 in the Senate. I guess not getting to take part in the debate is not important to some people.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,425,908 times
Default Biggest Change if the Republicans Gain the White House and Both Houses in 2012?

Naked corporatism resulting in rapid dissolution of the middle class.

a) stepped up outsourcing (laying off US workers)
b) increased illegal immigration (replacing those US positions that can't be outsourced)
c) the end of public services such as fire, police and schools to be replaced by for-profit "privatization" Any firefighters, police officers and teachers working in their former professions will experience a drastic cut in pay/benefits.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,185,781 times
You'd end up with largely Bush like policies. It would be funny to see this happen as all of these "I want to cut everything types" would be forced to deal with their promises. Real cuts can't come without touching entitlements like SS and Medicare and cutting military spending. None of them will be willing to follow through on that.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,281,882 times
Government will have unlimited power.

Supreme Court rules against exonerated death row inmate who sued prosecutors - The Washington Post

Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,325,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think it might be that big D that comes after his name.

Nope....it's the big B that he lists as his ethnicity on the census

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,847,490 times
Nothing is going to change. We're still gonna have one pro-NAFTA and pro-war globalist sitting in the White House, bringing this country to its knees while the mega banks in collusion with the Fed, rape our wealth.

The lefties on here have one thing right. When we elect the GOP into Congress, the middle class will be brought to its knees. What they have wrong, is that the Democrats do the same thing as the GOP, just the rhetoric is dressed up differently. Lefties, you have the right idea, but you are wrong if you think the Democrats actually give a damn about poor people or you

Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
R's OB - Businessmen are one thing but high level corporate managers more interested in their own self aggrandizement and compensation than either stockholders or employees are quite another. Corporatist monopolies are destroying this country. I expect Republican policies would aid and abet managers hell bent on destroying the free market.

FWIW - I owned and ran my own business for a few years until government policy changes wiped out my customer base. I may try again after I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies