Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM

52,268 posts, read 34,016,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
media is allowed to print a name and photo of minors, they usually choose not to..
looks like you are correct.

Can I publish the name of a minor involved in a crime? : First Amendment Coalition

apparently canada does have a law against it though: Youth Criminal Justice Act Handbook - Page 46
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,386,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This administration has a special policy for anything that has to do with Muslims. They get top priority preferential treatment.

You know SourD; IT appears though some may not want to agree with you, but when you look at everything on a whole, Dang your right.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,053,710 times
Why do we care more of the motivations than the crime?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,100,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You know SourD; IT appears though some may not want to agree with you, but when you look at everything on a whole, Dang your right.
Based on....what?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,056,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think a crime is a crime, no hate or anything about it.

What makes someone's prejudice more punishable than if anyone else is attacked? It's another feel good law, nothing more.

Disclaimer: It is disgusting that he did this and I don't care what religion his victim is. He's 12 and needs to know that assaulting anyone is unacceptable and there are consequences in such actions.
It's not a feel good law. It's a get tough on crime measure. Our penal system serves several purposes - punishment, rehabilitation, prevention. They are all considered when defining crimes in our law and when deciding on incarceration length.

In our law, we very often distinguish between the severity of similar crimes. We have different degrees of homicide (manslaughter, 2nd, 1st), assault (simple or aggravated), etc. In these cases, the motivation of the crime is taken into account. The more heinous the motivation, the more severe the punishment. Part of this is to send a preventative message - some is out of the realization that a person with such motivation will be much harder to rehabilitate. Targeting someone simply because of some immutable, innate characteristic is an extremely heinous motivation. Also, there is more than one victim. Targeting a person for such a reason terrorizes that entire community. Bias-motivated crimes are worse crimes - they victimize a larger group of people, the offenders are harder to rehabilitate, and they are more likely to re-offend. Enhanced sentence recommendations for them is a very good thing.

They're not the only sentence enhancement laws on our books. Sentence enhancements laws often prescribe tougher sentences for repeat criminals (habitual criminal laws). Sentence enhancements in those crimes are also good things.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,730,238 times
I just googled around and discovered that 'Daramy' is a common West African surname. So it looks as if this is just one more case of a member of one precious, untouchable, Protected Class attacking a member of another precious, sacred, Protected Class.... with a media spin making it look as if this is a case of "American" intolerance.

And, as usual, someone will try to use this as an excuse to curtail the rights of genuine Old Stock Americans. At the very least, the name will be omitted, and it will become a story about a "American" bigot attacking a poor minority.

From the article, I gather that the kid has routinely terrorized his classmates, and this time the victim simply happened to be a Muslim. The New York Post, at least, gives us enough information to reach that conclusion. Most other "news" outlets will distort the facts to the point where one will be unable to make much sense of the story.

I remember a story about an non-Scandinavian Immigrant in Finland running amok in a Mall, shooting people, which got spun into reports about a "Finnish Man" going berserk. That's what will happen here. And I'm sure that when Law & Order does an episode based on this, the Perp will be a privileged private school blond boy in a Rep Tie and a Blazer, and the victim will be the greatest heroine who ever lived...you know...survived a trek across war-torn deserts, with Lions eating her family...but she managed to row across the Atlantic in a Styrofoam Cooler, saving her Baby Brother in time for his Heart Transplant...and here this privileged private school kid with great hair has to do something grotesquely evil to her, "just because she's different". That's how the Detective Shows will spin the story.

We should thank the NYPOST for telling the truth, by giving us the name and a photo. Otherwise, the spin from the rest of the media will insinuate that one of the cute Italians whom one thinks of when thinking of Staten Island was the bad guy. This was some preemptive truth-telling, and I think we should be thanking that paper.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,271,675 times
I hate secular news reports.

They always come out so . . . flat.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,908,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I just googled around and discovered that 'Daramy' is a common West African surname. So it looks as if this is just one more case of a member of one precious, untouchable, Protected Class attacking a member of another precious, sacred, Protected Class.... with a media spin making it look as if this is a case of "American" intolerance.

And, as usual, someone will try to use this as an excuse to curtail the rights of genuine Old Stock Americans. At the very least, the name will be omitted, and it will become a story about a "American" bigot attacking a poor minority.

From the article, I gather that the kid has routinely terrorized his classmates, and this time the victim simply happened to be a Muslim. The New York Post, at least, gives us enough information to reach that conclusion. Most other "news" outlets will distort the facts to the point where one will be unable to make much sense of the story.

I remember a story about an non-Scandinavian Immigrant in Finland running amok in a Mall, shooting people, which got spun into reports about a "Finnish Man" going berserk. That's what will happen here. And I'm sure that when Law & Order does an episode based on this, the Perp will be a privileged private school blond boy in a Rep Tie and a Blazer, and the victim will be the greatest heroine who ever lived...you know...survived a trek across war-torn deserts, with Lions eating her family...but she managed to row across the Atlantic in a Styrofoam Cooler, saving her Baby Brother in time for his Heart Transplant...and here this privileged private school kid with great hair has to do something grotesquely evil to her, "just because she's different". That's how the Detective Shows will spin the story.

We should thank the NYPOST for telling the truth, by giving us the name and a photo. Otherwise, the spin from the rest of the media will insinuate that one of the cute Italians whom one thinks of when thinking of Staten Island was the bad guy. This was some preemptive truth-telling, and I think we should be thanking that paper.
ridiculous post. just because he has a west african sounding last name doesn't mean he wasn't born and raised in america. the photo tells us nothing unless anybody with dark skin isn't american, which may be the truth in your mind.

go back to stormfront.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,258,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
ridiculous post. just because he has a west african sounding last name doesn't mean he wasn't born and raised in america. the photo tells us nothing unless anybody with dark skin isn't american, which may be the truth in your mind.

go back to stormfront.
And if we are all just Americans, what's the need for "hate crime" charges??? Which is it? Are we all alike and a crime is a crime? Or do we look at the "groups" we belong to or used to belong to that makes us special?

That poster had an interesting point. Worth consideration. Not just PC dung.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,949,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

go back to stormfront.
LOL, and then she states this: .genuine Old Stock Americans...

Some people just can't help themselves!!!

irregardless, this boy should have been dealt with long ago. The fact that he used a weapon (scissors) on school premises should have been a one way ticket out.

It is a hate crime, from the moment he asked if she were Muslim and attacked her based wholly or in part on that fact, makes it a hate crime.

I have no sympathy for him because his next victim may end up raped and killed. I hope that he gets the professional help that he needs in order to become a safe, functioning, sane member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies