Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Upcoming Budget Cuts....what is a fair number?
33 billion 2 4.08%
60 billion 3 6.12%
100 billion 6 12.24%
More that 100 billion--Shut the government down 38 77.55%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 PM

858 posts, read 707,336 times

Advertisements

I vote for nothing. What Republicans want to cut is miniscule so they are just going after programs that are essential to some people like planned parenthood. Until they propose something to cut medicaid, medicare and social security, just shut up...pass the budget as it is and do something worth a damn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Reagan balanced social security, and so did Clinton.

I know you don't like social security. Some people don't.

70% of the American people support social security in its current form. Until the majority of people change their minds, we've got to fix the system. We can debate social securities merits in another thread. I agree it should have its own fund, separate from the general fund that congress has access to, but thats not the world we live in, and no congressmen are talking about changing that. A few talk about privatizing or destroying it all together, but as I said, 70% of Americans don't support that.
with all due respect, do you have a link for that? I'd guarantee you that the ones that agree with are "lucky" enough to be receiving the benefit or approaching retirement age. I don't think that the younger generations are in favor of it at all. The beneficiaries themselves are getting restless that they haven't received any COLA increases in 2 years. SS is a robin hood program that takes away from working ppl and spreads the wealth around. the first thing that they should do is take away the current survivors' benefit paid to the ALL of the dependents of the breadwinner. Pay the widow and that's it until she gets remarried or gets her butt to work!!!!
The breadwinner should have thought about buying a private insurance to provide for his family mbs in the event of his death. Why should the taxpayers pay for all of his brood?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
with all due respect, do you have a link for that? I'd guarantee you that the ones that agree with are "lucky" enough to be receiving the benefit or approaching retirement age. I don't think that the younger generations are in favor of it at all. The beneficiaries themselves are getting restless that they haven't received any COLA increases in 2 years. SS is a robin hood program that takes away from working ppl and spreads the wealth around. the first thing that they should do is take away the current survivors' benefit paid to the ALL of the dependents of the breadwinner. Pay the widow and that's it until she gets remarried or gets her butt to work!!!!
The breadwinner should have thought about buying a private insurance to provide for his family mbs in the event of his death. Why should the taxpayers pay for all of his brood?
The Reagan administration's most celebrated domestic achievement during its second term was the Tax Reform Act of 1986. Faced with ever-larger budget deficits and a growing national debt, the administration had raised taxes in 1982 and 1984 and won legislation in 1983 that restored financial solvency to the Social Security program.

American President: Ronald Wilson Reagan: Domestic Affairs

FactCheck.org: During the Clinton administration was the federal budget balanced? Was the federal deficit erased? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/during_the_clinton_administration_was_the_federal. html - broken link)

Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You know, my aunt was widowed when her kids were 3 and 5 years old. This was back in the 50s, when women weren't supposed to work, and most, including this aunt, didn't have college educations, or even much job training. My aunt got SS for the kids until they turned 18. They did have insurance, too, but there's never enough money to last 15 years (when the oldest turned 18).

Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lets look at the numbers shall we?
Democrats want a $30B cut
The GOP wants a $60B cut (someone correct me if this has changed since I last heard)..

Both of them are ridiculous.. We need $500B in cuts..

Yes, government needs to shut down...
I think from April to August should do it

Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I vote for nothing. What Republicans want to cut is miniscule so they are just going after programs that are essential to some people like planned parenthood. Until they propose something to cut medicaid, medicare and social security, just shut up...pass the budget as it is and do something worth a damn
Essential to some people like planned parenthood? Keyword there is some, but mostly its the funding thats essential for admins and staff who mismanage the joint. Essential... about as much as NPR and cowboy festivals.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
What is a reasonable compromise? Should the government just be allowed to shut down?
The feds plan on spending 3.7 trillion this year.

We could cut 3 trillion off that and not only would we not miss any of the govt programs or "services" we would all be better off.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
What is a reasonable compromise? Should the government just be allowed to shut down?
yes shut her down!!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yep, until people are working we need the Govt to spend. If we need to borrow to be able to spend, borrow. By all means, Tax those that can and should pay.

That is stupid!

Who eventually pays the debt?

You? No one? The next generations, like generations before us, did?
Do we just keep borrowing to lock in constant and increasing debt?

This the argument... Our government intentionally breaking a window, gives two people a job.
two people are forced to loose money. It is a wash, with government taking their cut.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,120,981 times
Shut 'er down for the rest of the year. After it is shut down a while people will realize how LITTLE the gubment really does for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies