U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 AM

18,963 posts, read 21,946,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't blame either President. I blame Wall Street for the recession.
Follow the money .... it all goes back to the bankers.
Sure, but the ability of those bankers to take all that wild risk was due to LAX regulation and LAZY enforcement. The fact is, those bankers should NOT have been allowed to do what they did, but they WERE - and THAT'S because of FAILURE of the Federal Government and laziness & complacency of our elected officials (including BUSH).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
If that's the case then we got the wrong "Folks in Charge" today.
Glass-Steagall is still repealed.
The bankers are calling the shots.
The multinationals are making the laws.
And we have a madman in the basement of the Fed printing up money and saying that's a good thing ?

I'm a Ron Paul follower so I have no dog in the D vs R race.

EVERY SINGLE MAJOR NATION ON EARTH did the same thing (ie pumping money into the economy) - every single one.
There's a reason for that - it WORKS.
Rightwing political pundits try and make it sound like Obama was doing something radical and unheard of - when it fact it was Standard Operating Procedure for nations all around the globe in such a crises to do that very thing.

Ken

Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM

9,964 posts, read 11,824,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Here we go again. Everytime we approach a season where seasonal jobs start hiring again, the left cheers that the economy is getting better. Some jobs were added for sure, but the majority added in March are seasonal jobs. That's when all the summer work starts up again.
What does it all look like if you take government "workers" out of the equation?

Unlike 1983 Stephen Moore: We've Become a Nation of Takers, Not Makers - WSJ.com

Quote:
If you want to understand better why so many states—from New York to Wisconsin to California—are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, consider this depressing statistic: Today in America there are nearly twice as many people working for the government (22.5 million) than in all of manufacturing (11.5 million). This is an almost exact reversal of the situation in 1960, when there were 15 million workers in manufacturing and 8.7 million collecting a paycheck from the government.
Rather than steal from me, treat me with contempt and squander my money what is it government does for me exactly?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What does it all look like if you take government "workers" out of the equation?

Unlike 1983 Stephen Moore: We've Become a Nation of Takers, Not Makers - WSJ.com

Rather than steal from me, treat me with contempt and squander my money what is it government does for me exactly?
If you REALLY think that government doesn't do anything for you, why don't you move to someplace WITH no government - like SOMALIA.

Ken

Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM

58,507 posts, read 31,895,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Gallup puts the actual unemployment rate at 10%. Who are you going to believe--Gallup or the Obama administration that hid the fact that fully a third of the bank bail out went to foreign banks?
I think I'll go with an official number.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Come back and talk when unemployment is at Bush era levels of 4%.
I pray we don't go back to Bush's 700 000 job losses per month. I hope you agree with that.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Only to be offset by the "loss" of all of those Government jobs out there ..

Every time I think about those city, county, and state workers that bragged about how secure, or recession proof their jobs were a few years back, I laugh quietly to myself.
I prefer to replace government jobs with private jobs. This is the trend I want to see continue.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I do not think Bush single-handedly destroyed employment.
Me neither. It is too simple to pin it on a president. The presidents don't have all that much to say about the economy. The Fed is far more guilty than any president. They were in a position to cool down the housing bubble, but they only added fuel to the fire. It is their job to regulate banks, and cool down speculation, and they failed miserably. Why are they still around?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM

4,433 posts, read 3,810,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Private employers, the backbone of the economy, drove nearly all of the March job gains. They added 230,000 jobs last month, on top of 240,000 in February. It was the first time private hiring topped 200,000 in back-to-back months since 2006 — more than a year before the recession started.

The unemployment rate dipped from 8.9 percent in February to 8.8
percent in March. The rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last four months, the sharpest drop since 1983.

Employment grew solidly in March - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

I just got laid off. The corporation based in Southfield Michigan closed our office. 20 people lost their jobs.

Although you seem to be smiley and optimistic, hundreds of thousands of people are still getting laid off in the cycle of folks that you report are getting hired.

You only reported new hires. This is a skewed outlook. But, it's good for you if you're looking at the stock market or your 401K.

Report both sides and be happy that you still have a job.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM

5,877 posts, read 4,025,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Here we go again. Everytime we approach a season where seasonal jobs start hiring again, the left cheers that the economy is getting better. Some jobs were added for sure, but the majority added in March are seasonal jobs. That's when all the summer work starts up again.
Excuse me? Look at the first few responses on this thread. If I'm not mistaken it looks like GOP/right wing cheerleaders so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies