U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM

2,477 posts, read 2,206,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is that also why we gained 200K jobs last october, or 450K in May 2010? Because people pay the same tax as they have for the last 10 years???
So let me get this straight....Last yr with all of Obamas/DEM spending and massive debt,stopping new oil drilling,massive new regulations and every other crap he can think....Thats why we gained jobs?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOL so it has nothing to do with Bush tax cut extentions and employers knowing that the Republicans were going to gain in Congress/Senate and "try" and kill H.C. bill and cut spending????

So what are you smoking????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:59 PM

5,977 posts, read 3,257,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think the GOP taking over the House may have contributed in some way.
Remember..spending bills originate in the House. With this current makeup you may see very few "spending" bills coming from the House.

Pelosi/Reid combination was a suicide mission on US employers with spending bills and many had hidden taxes or mandates on employers.

I don't see how they've contributed anything-they actually haven't done anything yet. Talk is cheap.

Yes, the power of the purse is in the House. However, the clowns from BOTH parties haven't passed a budget yet. EACH party has sacred cows that they don't want touched. Defense takes a huge chunk of the budget. There is a lot of waste in the DOD. Ask Rumfeld or Gates.

I'll give the TPers in Congress a point for joining Democrats and telling John Boehner that the spare F-35 engines (which the services don't need) won't be funded. The plants producing those spares are located in (drum roll please) in Boehner's Ohio and Cantor's Virginia. So people either in or near their districts will lose their jobs. But hey, people who voted for them will tell you until they're blue in the face, that the government doesn't create jobs-the private sector does. That is true UNLESS the private business' customer is the federal government!

The private sector does a lot of business with the government that generates many direct and indirect jobs. Government spending isn't confined to paying civilian employees, pensions, or entitlement programs.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,054,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I don't see how they've contributed anything-they actually haven't done anything yet. Talk is cheap.

Yes, the power of the purse is in the House. However, the clowns from BOTH parties haven't passed a budget yet. EACH party has sacred cows that they don't want touched. Defense takes a huge chunk of the budget. There is a lot of waste in the DOD. Ask Rumfeld or Gates.

I'll give the TPers in Congress a point for joining Democrats and telling John Boehner that the spare F-35 engines (which the services don't need) won't be funded. The plants producing those spares are located in (drum roll please) in Boehner's Ohio and Cantor's Virginia. So people either in or near their districts will lose their jobs. But hey, people who voted for them will tell you until they're blue in the face, that the government doesn't create jobs-the private sector does. That is true UNLESS the private business' customer is the federal government!

The private sector does a lot of business with the government that generates many direct and indirect jobs. Government spending isn't confined to paying civilian employees, pensions, or entitlement programs.
That's just it. NO new spending bills have been sent to the Senate in three months.
That is GREAT NEWS !

Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,501,898 times
this is City-Data! or the "I hate Obama" forum so don't you dare give him any credit!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,088,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Excellent point! The fact that government spending is directly tied to employment in both the public and private sectors makes our financial situation even more scary.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM

26,503 posts, read 24,272,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Good work GOP!!
Unbelievable.

Like it or not, average Americans will give credit to Obama for the drop in unemployment. You'll be part of the rabid right wing who (of course) denies him any credit for anything good.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 PM

334 posts, read 146,046 times
Why do folks act so surprised when the stock market goes up?
Why do they act so surprised when it goes down?

Why do folks act so surprised when housing prices drop?
Why are they so surprised when they go up?

I swear, Americans have the attention span of a turnip. As long as I've been alive I've seen market highs, market lows, and everything in between. Without fail, some jackass talking head always comes on the tv talking about it as if we were all born last year, and this never happened before.

Study economic history. This stuff happens independently of presidents, congressmen, world events, etc. Sure these things may cause a blip here and there, but ultimately we're all surfing the waves.

This is the nature of a consumer driven economy.

Carter didn't kill our economy, OPEC did.
Reagan didn't save our economy, he got elected right around the time we bottomed out.
George Bush Sr.? Well, I'm not sure he did much of anything.
Clinton didn't make the stock market go through the roof. Technology, coupled with a woefully uneducated investor (as far as technology goes) drove the stock market in the 90's.

Can you think of a better excuse for investing in sock puppets?

Then comes the housing bubble. No, it wasn't caused primarily by the push for minority home ownership, regardless of credit. It was caused by a failing stock market due to the dot come bubble burst. Investors will invest. Housing was ripe for it.

Once housing topped out, and people realized that the prices were unsustainable due to wages, it collapsed. It didn't have nearly as much to do with the banks as folks would like to believe.

...and then, we went to oil and other commodities. No wonder folks compare Obama to Carter.

So chin up folks. We're about to elect the next lucky Reagan.

It's called a "cycle". The economy, no matter how much folks would like to try and explain it, is nothing more than one, big, ass, cyclical, monster.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:50 PM

58,609 posts, read 31,995,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
So let me get this straight....Last yr with all of Obamas/DEM spending and massive debt,stopping new oil drilling,massive new regulations and every other crap he can think....Thats why we gained jobs?
Your words, not mine, but nice try trying to insert them into my mouth. But talking about oil, they just approved 42 new off shore drilling licences, and Obama is pushing for more domestic drilling. Happy?

Quote:
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOL so it has nothing to do with Bush tax cut extentions and employers knowing that the Republicans were going to gain in Congress/Senate and "try" and kill H.C. bill and cut spending?????

So what are you smoking????
If we started gaining jobs over year ago, I really don't see what it has to do with Obama's tax cut extension this year. Or are you talking about his 2009 cuts, which were largest in US history? The extension has nothing to do with corporate tax, but if you want to credit the drop in UE to his proposal to cut corporate tax rates, then I might agree. After all it is businesses doing the hiring.

How is "trying" to kill a bill going to do anything? They failed in killing it, and you want to credit something to a failure? No, what have YOU been smoking?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM

58,609 posts, read 31,995,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's just it. NO new spending bills have been sent to the Senate in three months.
That is GREAT NEWS !
What spending bill were sent in the past 10 months?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM

19,003 posts, read 21,990,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Okey dokey, here is something from just before the Republican take over of the House. Enjoy!!

Rosenberg: Not Your Average Recession - Seeking Alpha

"David Rosenberg, Chief Economist & Strategist at Gluskin Sheff, Toronto, has a graph that goes a long way toward explaining why this recovery does not feel like a recovery:"

"Is the reason that this doesn't feel like a recovery because so many things have not recovered? Sure looks like it.
One factor that is followed to track recoveries from recessions is GDP. The weakest GDP recoveries in the past 60+ years are shown in the next graphic:"
Sorry, but your 2nd link does NOT back up your contention that this recovery is "the weakest ever".
For the 1st quarter the recoveries of 1954 (Eisenhower), 2001 (Bush 43), 1975 (Gerald Ford) & 1991 (Bush 41) - ALL Republicans by the way) were ALL weaker.
For the 2nd quarter the recovery of 1970 (Nixon), 2001 (Bush 43) and 1991 (Bush 41) were weaker (ALL 3 Republicans).
For the 3rd quarter the recoveries of 1991 (Bush 41) and 1980 (Carter) were weaker.
So of these 9 very weak quarters - ALL of them weaker than the equivalent quarters under Obama, ALL BUT ONE were under GOP Presidents.
Bush 43's recovery was weaker than the current recovery for 2 of those 3 quarters, and Bush 41's recovery was weaker than the current recovery for ALL THREE quarters.

So, even your OWN LINK destroys your claim that this recovery is weakest ever.

I'll agree this has been a tough recovery, but it's overall BETTER than the LAST recovery (under Bush 43) and BETTER all 3 quarters than the one under Bush 41 - so BOTH of the last 2 GOP Presidents have had weaker recoveries than Obama. Considering just how HARD, FAST & DEEP this recession hit, Obama is doing pretty well in regards to the strength of the recovery.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-01-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies