U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM

19,891 posts, read 15,789,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sorry, but your 2nd link does NOT back up your contention that this recovery is "the weakest ever".
For the 1st quarter the recoveries of 1954 (Eisenhower), 2001 (Bush 43), 1975 (Gerald Ford) & 1991 (Bush 41) - ALL Republicans by the way) were ALL weaker.
For the 2nd quarter the recovery of 1970 (Nixon), 2001 (Bush 43) and 1991 (Bush 41) were weaker (ALL 3 Republicans).
For the 3rd quarter the recoveries of 1991 (Bush 41) and 1980 (Carter) were weaker.
So of these 9 very weak quarters - ALL of them weaker than the equivalent quarters under Obama, ALL BUT ONE were under GOP Presidents.
Bush 43's recovery was weaker than the current recovery for 2 of those 3 quarters, and Bush 41's recovery was weaker than the current recovery for ALL THREE quarters.

So, even your OWN LINK destroys your claim that this recovery is weakest ever.

I'll agree this has been a tough recovery, but it's overall BETTER than the LAST recovery (under Bush 43) and BETTER all 3 quarters than the one under Bush 41 - so BOTH of the last 2 GOP Presidents have had weaker recoveries than Obama. Considering just how HARD, FAST & DEEP this recession hit, Obama is doing pretty well in regards to the strength of the recovery.

Ken

Sorry friend, you need to actually read the link and look at the graphs. The unfortunate dullard in the White House is the proud holder for the record of weakest recovery.

From the link:

"The possibility that the recession has not yet ended is still on the table."

Cheers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 AM

7,160 posts, read 12,770,505 times
I haven't read all the posts, but I hear on right-wing radio that the real figure taken from the Labor Dept. webpage is 15.7% unemployment, which doesn't include self-employed who have lost their jobs. So, the real figure is quite a bit higher. Debt is enormous and we don't exactly have the manufacturing base we once had. Real wealth is still a long way off. Inflated paper and cooked books rule the day.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM

19,003 posts, read 21,981,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Sorry friend, you need to actually read the link and look at the graphs. The unfortunate dullard in the White House is the proud holder for the record of weakest recovery.

From the link:

"The possibility that the recession has not yet ended is still on the table."

Cheers!!
Again, YOU are apparently not reading your OWN links.

Here's your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Okey dokey, here is something from just before the Republican take over of the House. Enjoy!!

Rosenberg: Not Your Average Recession - Seeking Alpha

"David Rosenberg, Chief Economist & Strategist at Gluskin Sheff, Toronto, has a graph that goes a long way toward explaining why this recovery does not feel like a recovery:"

"Is the reason that this doesn't feel like a recovery because so many things have not recovered? Sure looks like it.
One factor that is followed to track recoveries from recessions is GDP. The weakest GDP recoveries in the past 60+ years are shown in the next graphic:"
The first link you posted has the following graphics showing the worse recoveries. Those graphics CLEARLY show that several OTHER recoveries (the ones I mentioned in my previous post) were WEAKER than THIS recovery.
THIS in DIRECT contradiction to what you CLAIM.

The 2nd link you posted - the one where you mention a graph - requires a logon acct to see (so I've no idea what it says)

The 3rd link you posted says the same thing the 1st link you posted says (ie that there were 4 past recessions where the 1st quarter of the recovery was WEAKER than this recession, 3 past recession where the 2nd quarter of the recovery was WEAKER than this recession and 2 past recessions where the 3rd quarter of the recovery was weaker than this recession - and that Bush 41 oversaw a recovery where ALL THREE quarters of recovery were WEAKER than THIS recession. Look at the attached graphics - they are from YOUR links - and they CLEARLY show that several other recessions (ALL but ONE of them under GOP Presidents) had weaker recoveries than THIS recovery.

As I SAID, EVEN YOUR OWN LINKS dispute YOUR silly and ignorant claim.

Do yourself a favor and READ YOUR OWN LINKS so you don't look so dumb.

They ARE YOUR LINKS you know.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
The sharpest drop in unemployment since 1983-worse-recoveries..png   The sharpest drop in unemployment since 1983-worse-recoveries-2.png  

Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but I hear on right-wing radio that the real figure taken from the Labor Dept. webpage is 15.7% unemployment, which doesn't include self-employed who have lost their jobs. So, the real figure is quite a bit higher. Debt is enormous and we don't exactly have the manufacturing base we once had. Real wealth is still a long way off. Inflated paper and cooked books rule the day.
That 15.7% number is the U-6 UE rate (published every month along with the traditional U-3 number). That number IS ALWAYS higher than the U-3 unemployment rate, but the fact is EVEN THAT number is falling. Like the U-3 number it peaked in 2009 (at 17.4%) and has now dropped over a point and half.

You can see BOTH the U-3 and the U-6 number here:

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

While Rightwing talk radio tries to make it sound like the government HIDES this number, the fact is, it is published EVERY SINGLE MONTH JUST LIKE THE U-3 NUMBER. It's hardly a "secret".

Ken

Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 AM

2,024 posts, read 4,480,062 times
Nope, April fools day joke. The economy is
NOT growing at all.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Nope, April fools day joke. The economy is
NOT growing at all.
Gee, Baghdad Bob has yet another logon account.

LOL

Ken

Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 AM

2,024 posts, read 4,480,062 times
Quote:
Gee, Baghdad Bob has yet another logon account.

LOL

Ken
?? Anyway record crude oil inventories shows the real state of the economy.

It takes 250,000 thousand jobs per month just to keep up with population growth and please understand that this jobs report added 117,000k phony birth death model trumped up jobs. This economy is pure propped up BS as evidenced by the central bankers still pouring trillions into the economy.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,695,129 times
Quote:
By the end of THIS year the UE rate will be below 8% & by election time next year it will be approaching 7%.
At the current rate of job creation, it will take 5 years to get even close to your predictions..

Old 04-02-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
At the current rate of job creation, it will take 5 years to get even close to your predictions..
Sadly for you, the pace of job creation is ACCELERATING.

Ken

Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,695,129 times
Quote:
Sadly for you, the pace of job creation is ACCELERATING.

Ken
Why would it be sad for me? My businesses booms when more people have jobs.

My internet company picks up sales.. profits for my investment company goes up as well because I have to pay out less claims for stock losses.. etc..

And if you mean on a political front, you failed again. The job creation is accelerating as the stimulus bill is winding down, as the GOP took over the House, as the tax cuts were extended.. Nope.. not at all sad because it verifies Obama policies were a complete failure and we had to wait for them to end before the recovery can begin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies