U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,617 posts, read 32,063,428 times
Reputation: 9437

Advertisements

Private employers, the backbone of the economy, drove nearly all of the March job gains. They added 230,000 jobs last month, on top of 240,000 in February. It was the first time private hiring topped 200,000 in back-to-back months since 2006 more than a year before the recession started.

The unemployment rate dipped from 8.9 percent in February to 8.8
percent in March. The rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last four months, the sharpest drop since 1983.

Employment grew solidly in March - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 15,824,382 times
Reputation: 3123
Good work GOP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,130,904 times
Reputation: 1444
I love how 1983 is the benchmark of solid drops in unemployment. Who again was president back in those days?

By the way, hate to say it but "told you so" when it comes to extending the tax cuts leading to job growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,106,658 times
Reputation: 4227
Here we go again. Everytime we approach a season where seasonal jobs start hiring again, the left cheers that the economy is getting better. Some jobs were added for sure, but the majority added in March are seasonal jobs. That's when all the summer work starts up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
 
1,811 posts, read 931,732 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Private employers, the backbone of the economy, drove nearly all of the March job gains. They added 230,000 jobs last month, on top of 240,000 in February. It was the first time private hiring topped 200,000 in back-to-back months since 2006 more than a year before the recession started.

The unemployment rate dipped from 8.9 percent in February to 8.8
percent in March. The rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last four months, the sharpest drop since 1983.

Employment grew solidly in March - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com
See what happens when you elect a GOP House of Reps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,617 posts, read 32,063,428 times
Reputation: 9437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I love how 1983 is the benchmark of solid drops in unemployment. Who again was president back in those days?
.
I believe the president today is Obama. The drop is highest since 1983. It is not a benchmark, it just happens to be the last time we saw such a large drop.

The trend continues. Good news. From -700K to + 200K in two years is probably a record which goes way further back than 1983.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,130,904 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I believe the president today is Obama. The drop is highest since 1983. It is not a benchmark, it just happens to be the last time we saw such a large drop.

The trend continues. Good news. From -700K to + 200K in two years is probably a record which goes way further back than 1983.
Actually, there was a turn around from -343k to +1.1 million. In fact, the 1.1 million jobs created in a single month in 1983 is a BLS record. That one month in 1983 produced more jobs than all of 2010 combined.

Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,617 posts, read 32,063,428 times
Reputation: 9437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Here we go again. Everytime we approach a season where seasonal jobs start hiring again, the left cheers that the economy is getting better. Some jobs were added for sure, but the majority added in March are seasonal jobs. That's when all the summer work starts up again.
Tell me, why is it that EVERY month we gaing jobs, and yes we have been gaining for a long time, you find some excuse to downplay the good news??? There was an excuse in October when we gained, then in November, then in December, January, Fabruary, and now March. What season are we in now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 15,824,382 times
Reputation: 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I believe the president today is Obama. The drop is highest since 1983. It is not a benchmark, it just happens to be the last time we saw such a large drop.

The trend continues. Good news. From -700K to + 200K in two years is probably a record which goes way further back than 1983.

This is the weakest recession recovery ever. It took the Republican takeover of the House to kick start employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,617 posts, read 32,063,428 times
Reputation: 9437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
See what happens when you elect a GOP House of Reps.
I am not interested in political pandering and credit stealing. I know who was in charge when the tide turned, and I know who was in charge when we were losing 700 000 jobs every month, and I am not crediting or blaming anyone, I am simply telling the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top