U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM

7,313 posts, read 6,933,850 times

Advertisements

"I don't know anyone in America who is a more effective communicator [than David Barton]. And I just wish that Every. Single. young person in America would be able to be under his tutelage, and understand something about who we really are as a nation. I almost wish that there would be, like a simultaneous telecast and all Americans would be forced -- forced -- at gunpoint no less, to listen to Every. David. Barton. Message. And I think our country would be better for it. I wish it'd happen."

Mike Huckabee Wants Americans to Be Indoctrinated at Gunpoint

The writer gives Huckabee the "benefit of the doubt" that this was a "joke", but watch the video, folks. He wasn't kidding. Didn't miss a beat, didn't crack a smile. He was dead serious.

For those who don't know, David Barton is a debunked liar and Revisionist History spewer, that America was founded as a Christian nation as opposed to a secular nation.

This thread, however, is not about David Barton. This thread is about the fact that Mike Huckabee wishes it would happen, that all Americans would be forced at Gunpoint to be indoctrinated with his religious ideology.

Yeah, yeah, hyperbole. I get that. But hyperbole isn't the same as a "joke". It just means he really, really, really wishes all Americans were somehow forced to believe his twisted version of G-d and America's founding. And if this man were ever allowed near the White House as anything other than an invited dinner guest, you can BET that he will do whatever is within his power as president to enact legislation that would reflect those beliefs.

And I think that is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM

29,988 posts, read 36,015,691 times
I think people who take a facetious comment and attempt to destroy the character and name of a good person are dangerous.

Facetious | Define Facetious at Dictionary.com

[fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA
–adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM

I think people who attempt to besmirch someone with the accusation of attempting to "destroy the character and name of a good person" when they have done nothing but post that "good person's" own words, is disingenuous at best, and despicable at worst.

I think people who don't read for comprehension shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I think people who don't follow links and watch provided videos, shouldn't be allowed to participate in threads until they do.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 AM

14,920 posts, read 10,786,068 times
People like Huckabee want to turn the US into Iran West.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM

5,981 posts, read 3,272,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"I don't know anyone in America who is a more effective communicator [than David Barton]. And I just wish that Every. Single. young person in America would be able to be under his tutelage, and understand something about who we really are as a nation. I almost wish that there would be, like a simultaneous telecast and all Americans would be forced -- forced -- at gunpoint no less, to listen to Every. David. Barton. Message. And I think our country would be better for it. I wish it'd happen."

Mike Huckabee Wants Americans to Be Indoctrinated at Gunpoint

The writer gives Huckabee the "benefit of the doubt" that this was a "joke", but watch the video, folks. He wasn't kidding. Didn't miss a beat, didn't crack a smile. He was dead serious.

For those who don't know, David Barton is a debunked liar and Revisionist History spewer, that America was founded as a Christian nation as opposed to a secular nation.

This thread, however, is not about David Barton. This thread is about the fact that Mike Huckabee wishes it would happen, that all Americans would be forced at Gunpoint to be indoctrinated with his religious ideology.

Yeah, yeah, hyperbole. I get that. But hyperbole isn't the same as a "joke". It just means he really, really, really wishes all Americans were somehow forced to believe his twisted version of G-d and America's founding. And if this man were ever allowed near the White House as anything other than an invited dinner guest, you can BET that he will do whatever is within his power as president to enact legislation that would reflect those beliefs.

And I think that is dangerous.
Well, Huckabee is an idiot. That kind of rhetoric sells in Arkansas not so much nationally. The man has no sense of proportion.

He will never get anywhere on a national level.

Is it just me or way too many politicians are getting nuttier by the minute in an effort to get free publicity and enhance name recognition?

Besides, people who disagree with Huckabee have guns too!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM

3,776 posts, read 3,792,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think people who take a facetious comment and attempt to destroy the character and name of a good person are dangerous.
Facetious | Define Facetious at Dictionary.com
[fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA –adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
I think you are right. What a dishonest thread. And what is the purpose beside to smear and to inflame?

Anyone with an IQ point would understand it was not to be taken literally.
Anyone.
It am really worried if people are taking that statement literally!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,403,257 times
Paranoid much???? I watched the video and clearly saw his facial expression when he said that, indicating it was hyperbole and humor. Huckabee is a good guy; he's not the boogieman. Relax. BTW, I had never heard of Barton before. Thanks for the heads up about him. I think I'll do some research.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM

419 posts, read 737,447 times
Remember when that crazy stuff came out about his son? (See link below.) I'm surprised people still listen to Huckabee and even want him for president.

Son

Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

People like Huckabee want to turn the US into Iran West.
Precisely. And given the opportunity, he would do it in a heartbeat.

When someone has a wish that is so deep and so heartfelt that he would even joke about wanting to see it carried out at gunpoint, you know damn good and well he's serious about that wish, even if he's not serious about the methodology to seeing it come true.

George W. Bush and his "Faith Based" crap couldn't hold a candle to what a President Huckabee would enact in the name of his G-d.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM

3,776 posts, read 3,792,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Paranoid much???? I watched the video and clearly saw his facial expression when he said that, indicating it was hyperbole and humor. Huckabee is a good guy; he's not the boogieman. Relax. BTW, I had never heard of Barton before. Thanks for the heads up about him. I think I'll do some research.
Exactly. Hyperbole and humor is waay over the heads of some of our most dedicated lefties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies