Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Here's the problem with this argument: how much more did that wheel chair cost? While I see your argument that this reduces innovation, are you saying as a tax payer you are disappointed that the government didn't raise your taxes to pay for these new chairs? Our system is much more complicated than government bad/private companies good. In the case of this market, let's not forget why the government is the buyer for most of our nations wheel chairs: Private health insurance companies don't want to take on the risk of paying for the elderly. The government had been saddled with the demographic with the most expensive health care because no one else would take it on. You can debate, or course, whether or not this was a good idea, but the alternative has serious repercussions as well. If we got rid of Medicaid, major public health issues would arise. The free market isn't simply going to absorb this because it makes no business sense to take on the risk insuring the elderly represents.
Continuous war, and auto accidents, create a significant market of younger users. I asked a PhD orthopedic researcher at a major research university if a wheelchair providing alternation of positional forces would be beneficial to the user to the point of succeeding in the marketplace, and his response was: "No - Though such a chair would protect the paraplegics and quadriplegics from bed sores, collapsing internal organs, etc., so what?" "Get real - these people don't feel pain!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Very similar to the argument of this thread. Ovcatto made the very astute and very ignore point of: so what? Yes, it's sad the government employs such a huge chunk of our population. Yes, it would be great if we could move away from this. But if we got rid of all those jobs tomorrow, it would hurt the economy is a big way. The government isn't stealing the labor force. There aren't other jobs. And the jobs that are there aren't that great. (Remember, we all work at Walmart.) My biggest concern with the government at the moment is you have the GOP talking about drastically reducing the size of government right now, but no one wants to get into what will happen as a result of that. I'm not arguing that we don't have a moronically huge government, but it is completely idiotic to not address what will happen after such a major change. The free market will save us? How? If you can't answer that questions extremely specifically, you need to get your head out of your bum and start thinking rationally.
I agree, it would be better to transfer hundreds of thousands of government workers to the welfare rolls, where they would inflict less damage.

They could all stay home, watch Glenn Beck, and vote.

Last edited by ergohead; 04-02-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
"Third, we use automated equipment, so we make far more product per hour than they do.
Interesting that you brought that up. Just last night I ran up against a few studies which uncover the fallacy of that claim. Apparently these much touted productivity claims included production output from off shore manufacturing."

This week, I'll be at one of our subsidiaries, ovcatto, where automation and efficient manufacturing techniques made it cost effective for this facility to in-source production from Asia to the USA. GE has discovered the same thing, and added 500 jobs in upstate NY that were formerly done in China.

15k per 40' and rising, 20% rising Chinese wages = US mfg saving grace, when coupled with constantly more efficient manufacturing processes reducing US cost per unit.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
...I agree, it would be better to transfer hundreds of thousands of government workers to the welfare rolls, where they would inflict less damage.
That's right! Who'd miss 'em?

Wait, I guess it would depend on which government workers you're talking about. I drive a school bus, and the other morning that old Caterpillar motor in the back just wouldn't crank over, and waiting for a jump made me about 10 minutes late to my first stop.

In those 10 minutes, more than a dozen parents called in demanding to know where the hell I was. (they shoulda told 'em I was home watching Glenn Beck!)

Old 04-03-2011, 01:57 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Government employment has held pretty steady as a percentage of total employment but manufacturing has been nose diving since Reagan.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default The government is not a manufacturing based entity

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Does the government perform manufacturing?
NO, it contracts it out.

Manufacturing has moved to other countries with slave wages and no benefits because of the FREE MARKET.
I thought you liked the free market.
What does the US manufacture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Please provide some data to back up your claim.

I think if you do some research you might be surprised.

On top of that with the ever increasing emphasis on getting a college degree, who is going to fill those manufacturing jobs.?
What manufacturing jobs?

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-03-2011 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
But why did manufacturing jobs move overseas? It was not due to govt. employees. It is because business would rather deal with exploited labor overseas than see a well paid and educated work force.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
But why did manufacturing jobs move overseas? It was not due to govt. employees. It is because business would rather deal with exploited labor overseas than see a well paid and educated work force.
You know, you really shouldn't post things like this.
How can government be vilified if you throw logic around?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges.
Does the government perform manufacturing?
NO, it contracts it out.

Manufacturing has moved to other countries with slave wages and no benefits because of the FREE MARKET.
I thought you liked the free market.
What does the US manufacture?

What manufacturing jobs?
I am sure you know that the US is still no.1 in the world in manufacturing.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
This is more like a chicken-n-egg scenario...

The reason that government employment has grown so much is because manufacturing (and private sector in general) has been in long-term decline. During the last decade, there was virtually NO growth in private sectors in jobs after the financial meltdown and resulting depression in 2008.

Were it not for increase in gov't employment, we would easily have well over 30+% unemployment rate...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
This is more like a chicken-n-egg scenario...

The reason that government employment has grown so much is because manufacturing (and private sector in general) has been in long-term decline. During the last decade, there was virtually NO growth in private sectors in jobs after the financial meltdown and resulting depression in 2008.

Were it not for increase in gov't employment, we would easily have well over 30+% unemployment rate...
Good thing accomplishment isn't a requirement for Government employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies