Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did Christ teach to surrender the weak to the most brutal? To forsake your faith for those that would slaughter you? At some point, you have to stand up for something, to say enough to brutality.
That's what he did - he surrendered himself to the Romans. He taught to die for your faith, not forsake it.

My point being - Terry Jones, as a pastor - could have done his actions in private, or with his congregation. But he intentionally made a media spectacle out it, just so he can rile up Muslims and get them even more pissed off at us.

Is it legal for him to do so? Yes. Was it a smart or effective thing to do? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I just don't get the people on this board. American men & women are fighting in Afghanistan. This man was told not to proceed with his plans, yet he just didn't care. This man is an arrogant, ignorant and dangerous person. What he did was senseless and simply for sensationalism. Someone tell me what he accomplished except inciting violence resulting in the deaths of others. He's a coward and a media freak. This has nothing to do with the First Amendment. The Secretary of Defense asked him not to commit this act. I also remember when General Petraeus said American men & women might be harmed. IMO this man committed treason. We are at war and he committed an act that puts our nation at harm.
People burn Christian Bibles every day around the world. Some people say the U.S. is a Christian nation.... I don't agree with that opinion, but it's the same none the less. Are radical muslims that kill Christians (or burn Bibles) being held personally accountable in muslim nations....

I didn't think so.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quite a few Dhimmis posting here I see...

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
What a simplistic response on your part. If someone told you that something you might do would result in the murder of innocent people would you proceed?
We're at war over there..that might result in murder of many Americans because they hate our guts and don't want us there. Why haven't we left ?

Why aren't the moderate Muslims all up in arms and blasting these extremists ? Why is it US left leaning that are siding with the insurgents ?
Where's your "tolerance" for freedom of speech and expression ?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
No religion has the unilateral right to demand that others either respect it or face violence. All that does is make people hate the religion in question. Ask the Irish or the Huguenots or the Jews or literally millions of people who have refused to be threatened in that manner.
I totally agree with you. We all have the right to burn 1,000 Qur'ans. However, he was told it would result in the deaths of others and asked not to do it. Why isn't he responsible? If a popular radio personality tells people that Jews are evil and drink the blood of Christians and some nutcase believes him, why isn't the radio announcer responsible if that person burns down a synagogue?

Quote:
Our very country is at least partially based on the notion that you can burn whatever books you please. Thomas Jefferson himself would have been horrified that any American believed otherwise.
Actually, I disagree. Thomas Jefferson would have been horrified that people are turning religious beliefs into political agendas.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-01-2011 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: fix post

Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Actually, I disagree. Thomas Jefferson would have been horrified that people are turning religious beliefs into political agendas.
Radical Islamic butchers in Afganistan probably wouldn't have been the focus of Jefferson.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,721 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you. We all have the right to burn 1,000 Qur'ans. However, he was told it would result in the deaths of others and asked not to do it. Why isn't he responsible? If a radio personality tells people that Jews are evil and drink the blood of Christians and some nutcase believes him, why isn't the radio announcer responsible if that person burns down a synagogue?

Because people have free will. It's patronizing to think that these people had no choice but to become violent.

I drove by the WBC several times when I was in the military. I saw them smirking with signs that said "Thank God for IEDs." I wanted to break their faces. Guess what? I chose to stay in the car and take a deep breath instead.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you. We all have the right to burn 1,000 Qur'ans. However, he was told it would result in the deaths of others and asked not to do it. Why isn't he responsible? If a radio personality tells people that Jews are evil and drink the blood of Christians and some nutcase believes him, why isn't the radio announcer responsible if that person burns down a synagogue?
He isn't responsible BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MURDER ANYONE.

I hate to shout but a murder is responsible for his actions. Not anyone else. The guy who murders.

If a radio personality acts like a jerk the radio personality is a jerk. The radio personality is not responsible for someone else's actions. The proper response to the radio annoucer is contempt and additional speech, not a court date.

Muslims in another country do not have the right to tell us to get rid of our fundamental principles because they believe Islam be exempt from them. Either a religion can succeed in the marketplace of ideas or it is a bad idea. No Muslim has the right to tell Americans what they can and cannot do with a Koran. Let alone kill people because of it.

At some point we're supposed to be in Afghanistan because we're supposed to be holding up basic ideals. When we start to refrain from expressing those ideals we should leave.

Quote:
Jefferson wrote:
The Virginia Act For Establishing Religious Freedom - Religious Freedom Page

no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burdened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in nowise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities.

In other words I think it obvious that he would have completely agreed that the Pastor had every right to express his feelings about the koran and that efforts to call for penalties for this expression are deeply contrary to the values of our society.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM

563 posts, read 929,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
The story I read said 7 dead.

Regardless, yet another example of the "peaceful" religion knuckledraggers.
There are very few "peaceful" religions.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
At least 20 UN staff killed in northern Afghan city (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/afghanistan/least+staff+killed+north+Afghan+city/4542495/story.html - broken link)

Afghan protesters angered by the burning of a Koran by an obscure U.S. pastor killed up to 20 UN staff, beheading two foreigners, when they over-ran a compound in a normally peaceful northern city on Friday in the worst ever attack on the UN in Afghanistan.

Pastor Terry Jones' Koran burning was denounced by Karzai and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari.

Thousands of demonstrators marched through western Herat city and around 200 in Kabul to protest against the same incident, but there was no violence at either demonstration.

The governor of Balkh province said insurgents had used the march as cover to attack the compound, in a battle that raged for several hours and raises serious questions about plans to make the city a pilot for security transfer to national forces.
More proof that the muzzies are just a bunch of savages out to kill ppl in the name of Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies