Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,823,173 times

Advertisements

Tuesday's election will be an interesting precursor perhaps.

Wisconsin judge vote turns into proxy fight over unions - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wisconsin-judge-vote-turns-rb-1777328389.html?x=0&.v=1&.pf=taxes&mod=pf-taxes - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,787,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Tuesday's election will be an interesting precursor perhaps.

Wisconsin judge vote turns into proxy fight over unions - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wisconsin-judge-vote-turns-rb-1777328389.html?x=0&.v=1&.pf=taxes&mod=pf-taxes - broken link)
Interesting indeed not just in wisconsin, but to see how the turnout is nationwide.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM

1,123 posts, read 774,593 times
Quote:
You forget why Unions developed. There was a need for them and that need is returning.
1-unions cannot in any way, shape or form be justified in the public sector

2-in the private sector, will only serve to make US companies less competitive, move more jobs overseas, and end up hurting US competitiveness in the long run.

But dogmatics or those with an agenda don't care, they are more interested in protecting their own selfish interests at the expense of everyone else, like public sector unions. They expect that everyone else in the economy will pay for them, the name for them is called "freeloaders."

Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 PM

1,123 posts, read 774,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I would disagree with that assessment, you're just throwing nonsense out there. You talk as if all of the outstanding liabilities would have to be paid 100% on the spot. How about we fund those liabilities as they are due and payable, like in the real world.
I have 2 better ideas:

1- you do some research before posting nonsense, like reading this:

There Aren

"MARCH 14, 2011 5:00 A.M.
There Aren’t Enough Millionaires
The rich can’t fund our deficits."

2-funding pension and health care liabilities in their entirety as they are prescribed now for public employees in this country is NOT sustainable.

In 2001, the NYC pension costs were $1.5 Billion.

In 2011, they are over $11 billion.

Do you think that that rate of increase, emblematic of the growth curve nationally is sustainable, regardless of the tax scheme?

Quote:
But seeing you just gave me 100% of the so-called rich's money to play with. With 100% of a gross domestic product of $15 Trillion it would take less that a year to pay off the national debt. One year and the debt is GONE.
And who will be the buyer of the entire US' GDP? I do not know of too many people or governments with $15 TR in cash...

Quote:
then over the next year or two we could tackle each and every other shortfalls we have out there. Underfunded pensions? with ALL unfunded pensions add up to about $3.5 trillion, we can fund them 100%, zero out the shortage, in 3 months with 100% of GDP.
Can you cease the infantile, silly nonsense?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,192,978 times
sorry, but you were the one that said [/quote]"even if the so-called rich were taxed at near 100% rates, there would still not be enough money to pay for these liabilities."[quote]

Your statement is the real nonsense here, just another GOP talking point that is not based on any facts.

My "example" is only mean to show how ridiculous your claim was. Fact is if the uber wealthy were taxed at 100% it would only take a few years to fix all on the funding issue. But that fact doesn't fit well with the GOP's Starve the Beast scheme to break the government.

sure in reality that would not and could not happen... but you are the one setting up that ridiculous premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
I have 2 better ideas:

1- you do some research before posting nonsense, like reading this:

There Aren

"MARCH 14, 2011 5:00 A.M.
There Aren’t Enough Millionaires
The rich can’t fund our deficits."

2-funding pension and health care liabilities in their entirety as they are prescribed now for public employees in this country is NOT sustainable.

In 2001, the NYC pension costs were $1.5 Billion.

In 2011, they are over $11 billion.

Do you think that that rate of increase, emblematic of the growth curve nationally is sustainable, regardless of the tax scheme?

And who will be the buyer of the entire US' GDP? I do not know of too many people or governments with $15 TR in cash...

Can you cease the infantile, silly nonsense?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,416,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No your statement is really pathetic. Those people are exercising their rights under their state Constitution. Politicians are supposed to be public servants, if the people are unhappy with them it's their right to recall them.

Can I recall the President! And everyone in the WH at the moment!!!!!!!
The VOTERS SPOKE with their VOTES that is the will of those who turned out and voted! It is the SEIU, The Union members loosing those padded extras the state cannot afford, and the Dems in office who are choosing not to do their jobs they were elected for!
The Liberal Dems want to take away our Constitutional rights that go against their way of thinking dont forget that.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

Can I recall the President! And everyone in the WH at the moment!!!!!!!
The VOTERS SPOKE with their VOTES that is the will of those who turned out and voted! It is the SEIU, The Union members loosing those padded extras the state cannot afford, and the Dems in office who are choosing not to do their jobs they were elected for!
The Liberal Dems want to take away our Constitutional rights that go against their way of thinking dont forget that.
Federal laws and state laws are different. Not all states allow recalls, some do. Wisconsin voters have the right to recall state officials. Not to mention the pesky little fact it was the GOP who started the recall efforts. The only difference is it appears the Dems are more successful.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Say it ain't so Gov!

No degree, little experience pay off big - JSOnline

Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,534,369 times
Quote:
Walker and the entire GOP in Wisconsin are in huge trouble. It baffles me how conservatives aren't taking the recall effort very seriously.

Or maybe they are in denial?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Walker and the entire GOP in Wisconsin are in huge trouble. It baffles me how conservatives aren't taking the recall effort very seriously.

Or maybe they are in denial?
I think they are taking it seriously, just resigned to its inevitability. Perhaps they think the people will vote them back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies