Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Is it possible that the bold above is why those children are doing poorly?

Any kid that lives in poverty and has drug addicted parent/s is not going to do well, regardless of the parents' marriage or lack thereof.

Any kid that comes from a middle class home where both parents have money but are active alcoholics and or prescription drugs abusers are also going to have a poor life, regardless of their parents' marital status or tax bracket.

Any kid that comes from a wealthy home where the parents marriage is intact but one parent is unstable and or abusive because of substance addiction is also unlikely to do well.

Compared to kids that are raised by caring single mother, gay couples who are (obviously) not married, widowed single father homes, and blended families with stepchildren, the kids that come from "drug ridden" homes are going to be at a disadvantage. It's the drug part of your post that is important, more so than the parents' domestic arrangements.

And I have to ask, if you believe the kids are "human waste", why is it you've gone back to "give back"? How do you do that when you have already decided the kids are akin to excrement?
Not everybody from these environments is going to fail, just most of them. I do the very best I can if only because our futures aren't written in stone anywhere. I can do good. At least I want to believe that. That's what separates me from their parents.

Instead of telling me that good gay parents are better than.......... why don't you join me in upholding the man/woman/lifelong model as the very best we can aspire to in families? Why lower the bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yaaaaay!!!!!!

More daddys to support the kids.....

oh, that's right.

They don't!

Those women are animals and should be treated as such.
These women are often treated badly, so are their children. It's a shame. I blame secular humanistic society.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yeah! What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes? Nothing, you already told her twice.
spoken like an american liberal/leftist/assorted marxist.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I continue to wonder if any of these people realize how many of the women spoken about in the OP are self-fulfilling prophecies who are raising many other self-fulfilling prophecies and teaching them how to take advantage of all kinds of welfare programs.
This problem with this type of society is it is generational.

Quote:
I just love the one who whined about all the things that feminists got for women especially those who looked out for themselves. I hear so much from some women about equal pay and then so many of them whine about having to take less money than men. Equality seems to be something just to talk about.
I'm of two minds when it comes to the feminists. I have no problem with equal opportunity, equal pay and such. On the other hand I feel many of the leaders of the movement were anti-male, anti-marriage and that has had a terrible effect on our society and it's least able citizens........our children.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You do realize that means 57% of women were NOT married when their first babies were born...right?
No, really?

How many of the 1 in 5 are married now? How many of the 1 in 5 are single with long term partners? How many of the 1 in 5 are actually on welfare?

A large number of the 1 in 5 are included because they have been divorced and are now remarried. That number includes educated people from all income brackets.

It has been assumed by nearly everyone that because the OP stated 1 in 5 moms have children by more than one father that ALL of the children are in peril or in unstable/broken/single parent/welfare homes. That's simply unquantifiable when you are looking at a statistic that includes ALL mothers.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Not everybody from these environments is going to fail, just most of them. I do the very best I can if only because our futures aren't written in stone anywhere. I can do good. At least I want to believe that. That's what separates me from their parents.

Instead of telling me that good gay parents are better than.......... why don't you join me in upholding the man/woman/lifelong model as the very best we can aspire to in families? Why lower the bar?
I'm having a hard time reconciling you calling children 'human waste' with you doing 'good' for them. If you have that attitude toward them then they know it.

You can hold up the man/woman/lifelong model as much as you like. The model itself doesn't work that well, or there wouldn't be as high a divorce rate as there is. It depends entirely on the people that enter into such a union, not on the union itself.

I put it to you that with the children you teach, the fact that their parents are active addicts and impoverished has just as much if not more to do with the kids' plight as their marital status.

I'll take a gay couple that has had to go above and beyond to have a child and commit to that child over a loveless, bickering, abusive marriage where the children are ignored by two heterosexual parents all their lives any day.

You can have situations where some married parents do just as much harm to their children as some single parents.

It does and will always depend on the person raising the kids, not some fairytale whereby all marriages are perfect and all children raised in homes inhabited by two biological parents will be fine and dandy.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
No, really?

How many of the 1 in 5 are married now? How many of the 1 in 5 are single with long term partners? How many of the 1 in 5 are actually on welfare?

A large number of the 1 in 5 are included because they have been divorced and are now remarried. That number includes educated people from all income brackets.

It has been assumed by nearly everyone that because the OP stated 1 in 5 moms have children by more than one father that ALL of the children are in peril or in unstable/broken/single parent/welfare homes. That's simply unquantifiable when you are looking at a statistic that includes ALL mothers.
You either read the article or you don't. I made no false claims.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You either read the article or you don't. I made no false claims.
The link to the article was not posted until the thread was well under way and the assumptions had been made.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I could agree with your points, you learn what you know. But i would also hope, after seeing the mistake being made, you would not want to repeat them.
Who says they see it as a mistake? Many poor people see children as a blessing regardless of their situation.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
No, really?

Link to back that up please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies