Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:53 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
People think nothing about sex outside/before marriage, sleeping around, not using protection and quickie divorces.
Yes, but I know several, no, many women who waited until marriage to have sex, got married, realized they were unhappy or were in an abusive marriage, and divorced. Some of them remarried, now have kids with multiple dads, and are happy.

It isn't just about sex before marriage and sleeping around and quickie divorces. It's ALSO about women being pressured into marriage at a young age because they think that's what they're supposed to do, and don't stop and truly think, "Hey, do I really want to spend the rest of my life with this person? Do I really need to rush into this marriage?"

While I certainly do think that the culture of promiscuity our society perpetuates has something to do with the problem, so does the fact that women are increasingly realizing that they don't have to stay in an unhappy marriage like they were expected to 50 years ago. But there is also a responsibility women (and men) have to be diligent in ensuring that they are really prepared to make a lifelong commitment to another. I honestly don't think most people getting married nowadays are truly prepared to do that. Otherwise you wouldn't see such high divorce rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:01 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
The problem isn't the sexual revolution, women's rights, or lack of morals.

The problem is that our society continues to tell women that motherhood is their only path to happiness, and to reward them for producing more children.

The labor pool is overpopulated enough. Just how many overeducated and eager young adults do we need competing for each lousy job in our new "Service" economy?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 AM

40 posts, read 38,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
This behavior totally breaks my heart. My oldest daughter and her husband lived their lives completely opposite of that described above, got an education, worked hard, planned to start a family when they were financially prepared, and now are faced with infertility issues. Girls who participate in indiscriminate sex without any thought for the consequences pop out kid after kid, and then there are women who live responsibly and prepare financially to give a child a stable family life and they CAN'T have a child.
Now that is the sad thing. I don't think it is the feminists popping baby after baby out. No, usually they and other intelligent women wait, gain education, try to find the "right" partner for them etc and that does not leave enough time for having children. Better to be dumb if you want to pass your genes along I think

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 AM

40 posts, read 38,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What a sad legacy of women's lib and the sexual revolution.

Winning the future!
Yes because that is what the feminists are doing? I find in my circle that women who want more for their lives usually gain an education (thank you women's lib) and spend a long time looking for the right partner. In fact all in all the smarter you are it seems the less likely you are to reproduce. Our fertility drops very early compared to men.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Sage View Post
Yes, but I know several, no, many women who waited until marriage to have sex, got married, realized they were unhappy or were in an abusive marriage, and divorced. Some of them remarried, now have kids with multiple dads, and are happy.

It isn't just about sex before marriage and sleeping around and quickie divorces. It's ALSO about women being pressured into marriage at a young age because they think that's what they're supposed to do, and don't stop and truly think, "Hey, do I really want to spend the rest of my life with this person? Do I really need to rush into this marriage?"

While I certainly do think that the culture of promiscuity our society perpetuates has something to do with the problem, so does the fact that women are increasingly realizing that they don't have to stay in an unhappy marriage like they were expected to 50 years ago. But there is also a responsibility women (and men) have to be diligent in ensuring that they are really prepared to make a lifelong commitment to another. I honestly don't think most people getting married nowadays are truly prepared to do that. Otherwise you wouldn't see such high divorce rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The problem isn't the sexual revolution, women's rights, or lack of morals.

The problem is that our society continues to tell women that motherhood is their only path to happiness, and to reward them for producing more children.

The labor pool is overpopulated enough. Just how many overeducated and eager young adults do we need competing for each lousy job in our new "Service" economy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
Now that is the sad thing. I don't think it is the feminists popping baby after baby out. No, usually they and other intelligent women wait, gain education, try to find the "right" partner for them etc and that does not leave enough time for having children. Better to be dumb if you want to pass your genes along I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
Yes because that is what the feminists are doing? I find in my circle that women who want more for their lives usually gain an education (thank you women's lib) and spend a long time looking for the right partner. In fact all in all the smarter you are it seems the less likely you are to reproduce. Our fertility drops very early compared to men.
Excellent posts all!

Maybe the OP will actually read them and learn something.

Meanwhile, I hope the OP stops voting, stops owning property, quits her job(or insists on being paid half of what the male employees get paid), gives up her right to her own children, gives her entire earnings to her husband or father....because the feminists GOT her the right to vote, own property, get equal pay.....

Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
LOL I believe it! The living adult females on my in-laws' side...you're batting 1000. My DH, 2 SILs and 1 BIL are all from different fathers.

I feel like the numbers are probably even higher with the younger generations (Gen X and younger). People think nothing about sex outside/before marriage, sleeping around, not using protection and quickie divorces. If you factor in each abortion that is had, that percentage would skyrocket. Then you have shows like Teen Mom, which has a paradoxical effect. It's supposed to show how you don't do it, but people think these girls are cool and hey, they're on TV and famous now, so why shouldn't they follow in their footsteps?
"""""but people think these girls are cool and hey, they're on TV and famous now, so why shouldn't they follow in their footsteps?"""

Like Bristol Palin?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What a sad legacy of women's lib and the sexual revolution.

Winning the future!
Wow! Multiple Dads, those private tryst's must have been crowded!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why, do you miss the days when only men had children from multiple women?
I'll make it simple for ya'. The lifetime marriage model between men and women benefit both. The children of these unions benefit even more than the parents.

These pairings of individuals are not working. The women in these situations are far more likely to be abused. Their children are far more likely to be abused. They are all more likely to live in poverty.

I'm a teacher. I teach in a drug ridden, poor school system. We do have some children from intact middle class homes. The differences between these children is absolutely shocking. The children from the drug ridden broken homes stand out like they're lit up in neon. It isn't just how they dress either. It's their behavior and quality of their school work that stand out the most.

I've been using the term "human waste" around here and getting critisized for it. I can't think of a better term for these poor children. I'm not teaching in this school district because I can't get into a "richer" school district. I came from the same kind of environments as these children. I got lucky. I feel like I'm giving something back to my people.

It would certainly help if you people got on board in creating a better society than we're giving these children now. Unfortunately, we're not going to get this from modern secular humanistic society. All you people have to offer is rot, waste, and hate.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Wow! Multiple Dads, those private tryst's must have been crowded!
I talked to a kid the other day. She told me she had four brothers and sisters, every one with a different last name. Make fun of this issue if you want but there are real consequences for this type of behavior. Consequences for them and consequences for you. You should think about that.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Excellent posts all!

Maybe the OP will actually read them and learn something.

Meanwhile, I hope the OP stops voting, stops owning property, quits her job(or insists on being paid half of what the male employees get paid), gives up her right to her own children, gives her entire earnings to her husband or father....because the feminists GOT her the right to vote, own property, get equal pay.....
.........as if we can't have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies