Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If a straight guy even rolls his eyes at a gay much screeching follows. It's tiring seeing these snippy gay fellows making all this noise.
Is it just another version of "minority rules?"
Good point. The protected class obviously can't do wrong.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Ok. Sarcastic and snide tone noted.

I guess some are just incapable of debating in a calm and reasonable manner.

Where did I say it was OK to "fire someone for being gay. . ."

Just because some people believe homosexuality is a sin doesn't mean they are for inequality and mistreatment.
Of course not, and I don't doubt that for a second. Not every person who believes homosexuality is a sin wants to interfere with gay people's rights.

The problem is, there are people who do want to interfere, though. Even though it's not everyone, there are people out there trying to keep gays from getting married, employed, housed, etc. And even when it's a minority of people, they tend to have a very loud voice and do pretty major things in order to try to get their way--Prop 8 in California being a prime example.

The other problem is that it only takes one person who does want to interfere with gay rights to make the environment unsafe for a gay person. For example, at my old job, I had a gay manager. Most of the people were okay with homosexuality, or at least if they weren't, they minded their own business. But there was one other higher-up in the company who was vehemently anti-gay and would have fired anyone who they found out to be gay on the spot (which was legal where I lived). Just that one person was enough to shove any gay people into the closet (including me)--even though most of the office was tolerant and one manager was even gay himself. That manager was just as closeted as me because his manager was anti-gay.

I know, a lot of gay people won't settle for anything but complete tolerance. I know it's a high expectation and it can be frustrating because it seems like a lot of gays don't recognize the people that do accept them, or the ones that disagree but respect their differences, but the reason lies in the fact that it only takes one bad apple to ruin the whole bunch.

That said, I do appreciate it when people tolerate homosexuality, even when they don't personally agree with it. There is something to be said for being able to respect others, even if you have a difference of opinion.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM

334 posts, read 188,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If a straight guy even rolls his eyes at a gay much screeching follows. It's tiring seeing these snippy gay fellows making all this noise.
Is it just another version of "minority rules?"
I've found that the best way to avoid that question is to treat them as fellow human beings, and ignore their personal business.

Unless of course a gay man is hitting on you. I've had that happen several times. Some are grossed out and offended by it.

Knowing the stereotypical standards, I'm deeply flattered. As a rule, gays don't aim for the dirt.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Good point. The protected class obviously can't do wrong.
Irony alert.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Oh, please. I grew up on the Cape. I have never seen the straight, white man being discriminated against. This article is OLD, is a joke, and everyone knows it.
Old? That's it? It's old? How bout addressing the issues in the article instead of complaining that's it's old? As far as I'm concerned It's not a joke, so I'm guessing that's not everyone now is it?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Irony alert.
No irony just an observation on american liberal/leftist/assorted marxist values.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Irony alert.
Yes, there are some hateful bigots acting in the name of Christianity--but by and large what you guys like to interpret as hate isn't hate--it's us wanting to live our lives and have a decent, moral society to raise our kids in.

The intolerance and bigotry that I see most nowadays is directed at religion.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Yes, there are some hateful bigots acting in the name of Christianity--but by and large what you guys like to interpret as hate isn't hate--it's us wanting to live our lives and have a decent, moral society to raise our kids in.

Can you name any state in the U.S. where it is illegal for a religious person to go to their place of worship?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
You don't have the right to be offended by the way other people live their lives. Unless it causes you direct harm, you need to grow up and live with it, or move someplace better suited for your values.

Quote:
Gee I wonder why. Maybe because the 19th/20th Century embarassment to Christianity known as fundamentalism continues to spread lies, ignorance, and bigotry at every opportunity?

Maybe if you guys stopped trying to oppress progress and freedom, and stopped trying to legislate your beliefs onto other people who disagree with you, people might not have as big of a problem with religion.

I'm a Messianic Jew, and I'm completely embarassed by the sad excuse for followers of Christ in this country. Christian Fundamentalism is no different than Islamic extremism, or Militant atheism.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Of course not, and I don't doubt that for a second. Not every person who believes homosexuality is a sin wants to interfere with gay people's rights.

The problem is, there are people who do want to interfere, though. Even though it's not everyone, there are people out there trying to keep gays from getting married, employed, housed, etc. And even when it's a minority of people, they tend to have a very loud voice and do pretty major things in order to try to get their way--Prop 8 in California being a prime example.
Uh, in california it turned out to be the majority of californians that supported prop 8.

Quote:
The other problem is that it only takes one person who does want to interfere with gay rights to make the environment unsafe for a gay person. For example, at my old job, I had a gay manager. Most of the people were okay with homosexuality, or at least if they weren't, they minded their own business. But there was one other higher-up in the company who was vehemently anti-gay and would have fired anyone who they found out to be gay on the spot (which was legal where I lived). Just that one person was enough to shove any gay people into the closet (including me)--even though most of the office was tolerant and one manager was even gay himself. That manager was just as closeted as me because his manager was anti-gay.
There is a flip side to that argument. My first principle was a lesbian. The fact that she hated men was common knowledge. At about my second year she struck up a relationship with the music teacher, a girl about half her age. Initially, she had been quite rough on the music teacher on her evaluations. She was that way will all of us though. Then, before you could blank an eye they were a couple.

Quote:
I know, a lot of gay people won't settle for anything but complete tolerance. I know it's a high expectation and it can be frustrating because it seems like a lot of gays don't recognize the people that do accept them, or the ones that disagree but respect their differences, but the reason lies in the fact that it only takes one bad apple to ruin the whole bunch.
Complete tolerance or complete acceptance. I fear we shall see neither.

Quote:
That said, I do appreciate it when people tolerate homosexuality, even when they don't personally agree with it. There is something to be said for being able to respect others, even if you have a difference of opinion.
Something I'd like to see from american liberals/leftists/assorted marxists learn to tolerate traditional cultures here in america but I'm not going to hold my breath tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies