Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times

Advertisements

The reason I ask this is that we're in a bad recession where even if you have a bachelor's/master's degree with some job experience, you may still have trouble finding a job and may find yourself in the unemployment line. Generally, recessions are determined by negative GDP growth over a certain amount of consecutive months. Would it be beneficial for the economy as a whole to bring back some manufacturing jobs into the US instead of outsourcing these jobs to other countries? If you, what would you propose that should be done? Government involvement or none at all? Less or more unemployment insurance? What's your solution to getting out of this recession as soon as possible?

I just want to get people's opinions on this coming from all walks of life. Please, don't get outright nasty and bash people on their differing opinions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
We should have been trained to understand India English.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
What manufacturing is done in the US?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
The reason I ask this is that we're in a bad recession where even if you have a bachelor's/master's degree with some job experience, you may still have trouble finding a job and may find yourself in the unemployment line. Generally, recessions are determined by negative GDP growth over a certain amount of consecutive months. Would it be beneficial for the economy as a whole to bring back some manufacturing jobs into the US instead of outsourcing these jobs to other countries? If you, what would you propose that should be done? Government involvement or none at all? Less or more unemployment insurance? What's your solution to getting out of this recession as soon as possible?

I just want to get people's opinions on this coming from all walks of life. Please, don't get outright nasty and bash people on their differing opinions. Thank you!
Lower the national corporate tax rate,decrease the time it takes to get eco studies air-water permits,here in southern Ohio a local foundry had a Japanese part maker buy 100% of their production line,Infra-Metals will be building a new facility,Sun Coke wants to add another 200 ovens and a soon to be announced ISG mini-steel mill. Guess the proposed Atomic power plant will be a no go now with that mess in Japan.

The railroads are calling people back to work and are hiring which means things are picking up.Locally NS railroad hired 150 people the past couple of months and re-opened the yards car shops.My son is back to work for CSX and said they are re-opening the cars shops in Russell Ky they are gearing up for something.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
We have bewcome a relativly (to japan anyway) low lwbor cost economy. The result is foreign investors outsource to the US and use American labor to create profits returned to the original country. Good for the financiers but not for labor in either country.

The leading indicators are in line with the expected results of the stimilus program.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We have bewcome a relativly (to japan anyway) low lwbor cost economy. The result is foreign investors outsource to the US and use American labor to create profits returned to the original country. Good for the financiers but not for labor in either country.

The leading indicators are in line with the expected results of the stimilus program.
That is what happened in the 80's with a weaker dollar foreign investing? I wish a HONDA or TOYOTA plant would locate here... how sad my hometown has become but thing will get better i have faith that it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies