Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What care should these twins get?
Whatever mom can pay. Then pull the plug if she can't pay anymore. 7 17.95%
Whatever can be done should be done. Respect life. 17 43.59%
Pull the plug already. This woman and her kids are entitlement leeches. 8 20.51%
Mom should have gotten an abortion. 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
No....the people that live and die decide by the policy they purchase. If they're willing to pay for that policy, the insurance company will keep them alive as long as they want.

That's better than they'll get by going without insurance.

On the other hand, I do think a safety net needs to be in place...how that's done, I don't know.
No, there have been people with policies who have lost everything because the insurance company fought to not pay....THE INSURANCE COMPANY DECIDES.

"If they're willing to pay" ??? How much are you willing to pay? A third of your income? A half? You will pay whatever insurance companies decide you'll pay.

""""On the other hand, I do think a safety net needs to be in place...how that's done, I don't know""""

Universal healthcare is a safety net...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
What should be done?

The parents should make that decision and they already have.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
I do not envy her in whatever decision is made. Very tough.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I know this is going to sound cold and inhuman and yes, it is a hard decision but they proably should not have been kept alive to begin with. We are talking two little boys who will never live anything close to a normal life. We are talking about a mommy (no mention of daddy) who apparently can not provide for them in any way. Now, that they are alive and a year old, it would be hard to even think about terminating their lives, but it could have been done a year ago.

NIta

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I do not envy her in whatever decision is made. Very tough.
Not much hope in the long run. There was a time when nature would make the call as this kind of birth.
Quote:
Medical experts say the boys, who share a liver and a malformed heart, cannot be separated and are not candidates for a heart transplant.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Well if i were the Mother of these twins, i would want everthing possible that could be done to be done. And pray a lot. And be very greatful to all that were helping me.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
This will never be a happy ending. These babies should never have been forced to endure this. It has nothing to do with the cost of health care but selfish attitudes that place life above quality of life. An Amoeba lives it doesn't mean it should be prolonged to live.

Part of life is death, Sometimes the greatest respect we can give is to allow death to happen.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
All the people who voted "respect life." I want you to empty out your bank accounts, sell your house, sell every item you don't actually need, trade in your car for public transportation, cancel all your vacation plans for the next 10 years, no braces or new cool clothes for you and your kids, eat Top Raman, Tuna Helper, etc. Take all these savings of money and GIVE it to this lady and those children.

Until then, you are just a bunch of hypocrites. Its nice to "respect life." As long as someone else pays for it.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know this is going to sound cold and inhuman and yes, it is a hard decision but they proably should not have been kept alive to begin with. We are talking two little boys who will never live anything close to a normal life. We are talking about a mommy (no mention of daddy) who apparently can not provide for them in any way. Now, that they are alive and a year old, it would be hard to even think about terminating their lives, but it could have been done a year ago.

NIta

Something else we agree on.
Being alive does not equal living and just because we can does not mean that we should.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Money is just rag paper and ink anymore anyways. Absolutely worthless rags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies