Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Again, you are missing the point. Nobody is telling you how to live. The Mooooslems aren't on destroyers packed with Burkhas and Korans ready to invade us and forceably convert us. Pastor Goober gave little thought of the consequences to our troops when he burned the Koran. He did it for his own gain, just look at his website for proof of that. While standing in front of a American Flag backdrop, he hawks merchandise and financial support.

Give me a break. You guys want to reference the Bible, maybe you should look at Paul. He could have asked for money, he didn't. He sewed tents for a living while spreading the Word of God.

There are small churches all over this country that do good works in the name of God, it doesn't matter what religion they ascribe to, and ask for nothing in return. Hell, there are atheists who do the same.

When I worked downtown Miami, a Mosque in the area fed the homeless on a regular basis on their own dime and on their own time, and nobody gave them on drop of publicity for it. They asked for nothing. I admire that.

There are Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, whatever, all over this country to do things like this, and are not written up in the newspapers. These people are closer to God than pastor Goober or any of his flock who condone this crap.

Pastor Terry Asshat burns another religion's book, knowing full well there would be deadly consequences, and did it anyway. He wanted the gut reaction, and by God he got it. This kind of nonsense appeals to the worst in us. Jesus never did.

You might want to think of that before you excuse this kind of behavior.
Think about what? His right to express his beliefs. What are trying to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
There is no getting away from the fact that Pastor Jones was thumbing his nose at Islam by burning a Koran (his right and no one disputes that) and also thumbing his nose at the US military at the same time by disregarding pleas from them not to go through with this stunt (also his right and no one disputes that). However, he was also showing his total disregard for the probable consequences of his actions and a disrespect for life in that he knew that his actions could set in motion a chain of events that could easily lead to the deaths of innocent people.......and it did. It is for that that I hold him accountable.

Freedom comes with responsibilities and actions have consequences.
Jones exercised his freedom of speech rights and so have you, what do you want now?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
Never said I knew everything. However, I am in the military and when he was threatening to do this in the first place everyone here was talking about the warning he received not to do this. I can't predict all his thinking but as he verbally received the warning of potential consequences it should've been somewhere in that head of his.

I know it was his constitutional right. But just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should.
So many on here are saying Jones had the right but yet they want to shut him up.

If you are in the military, are you not there to fight for your and our freedoms?

Should we be bullied into silence by extremists Muslims under the threat of MURDER? I say HELL NO!!! But that is just my opinion.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
General Petraeus certainly thinks so, and he's in a better position to know, isn't he?
General Petraeus should be telling the crazy Muslims to shut up and stop killing in the name of Allah not an American citizen.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
You did not answer any of my questions. Are you in politics. You danced around them all pretty well.
If you don't like my answers, ask better questions.

And the answer to your question is, it depends.

Quote:
Muslims in this country alienate themselves by being silent while all of this is going on. If they want respect they should speak up. But no, silence is all you hear.
But they are not being silent. Many posters have disproved that already. I can safely also assume that SOMEONE in the Muslim community is cooperating with us, or we would not have been successful in thwarting their attacks. For obvious reasons, it is not in the interest of law enforcement or in these informers' best interests to publicize these relationships.

Quote:
I'll ask an easier question. Try to answer it. I know its hard from someone like you.
That would depend on whether I thought the question framed a valid hypothetical or not.

Quote:
If the Muslim Extremists came out and said if you do not convert to being Muslim then we will start killing. Let's say the General tells the American people this. We all suddenly have to become Muslim because I wouldn't want innocent people to die.
Like this hypothetical for instance, which is just way off the circumstances of Pastor Asshat. But since it is so far from it, I'll answer it just for fun. No.

Your hypothetical requires an affirmative action on our part and doesn't have more than two choices, and so is not very realistic.
Pastor Asshat had MANY choices of how to express himself. He deliberately chose the one that would garner him the MOST publicity - and at the disregard for the lives of innocent people.

Fail hypothetical.

Quote:
That is your stance obviously.
My stance is that different circumstances may dictate different standards and results. As fun as your hypotheticals may be, they don't say much about my stance - which you persist in failing to grasp - or whether the pastor's actions were ethical and moral. I say they weren't. That's the totatlity of what I am saying.

Explain to me why I am wrong in this opinion.

Quote:
You have stated over and over that because innocent people might die that he should not have burned the book.
There was no "might" here. It was certain that there would be violence, he certainly knew this, and certainly acted in a manner that proves he did not care.

Why on Earth are you defending this guy? He's an ass.

Quote:
So should we have not fought England for America then. I am sure innocent people died.
How dare you compare the noble American Revolution to a sick bastard's selfish and irresponsible publicity stunt.

Quote:
Should we have not fought in the civil war. I am sure innoccent people died.
Stupid comparison, see above.

Quote:
Should we have not fought the Nazi Regime. I am sure innoccent people died.
Because our involvement didn't have anything to do with saving innocents? Another terrible analogy.

Quote:
Your logic is flawed and ridiculous.
Right back at you.

You once again fail to grasp even my most basic point here. That what this pastor did reflects serious failings in both his personal ethics, as well as his understanding of the religion he claims to represent.

So my question to you is, why do you not only defend his right, with which I agree, but also argue in favor of his actions?

It's reprehensible.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Think about what? His right to express his beliefs. What are trying to say?

Read it again, slowly this time.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
General Petraeus should be telling the crazy Muslims to shut up and stop killing in the name of Allah not an American citizen.
I think the weapons under his command are broadcasting that message on a daily basis.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Jones exercised his freedom of speech rights and so have you, what do you want now?
I would like for people who cherish freedom to realize that exercising those freedoms come with responsibilities and that people really need to think about the consequences of their actions before engaging in stupid publicity stunts that will predictably lead to a bad outcome.

Key words = "freedoms come with responsibilities" and "stupid publicity stunts".

That's what I would hope for but, realistically, I know there are too many asshats in the world to ever expect it.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I think the weapons under his command are broadcasting that message on a daily basis.
Did you not say and is it not true that our military in Afghanistan is supporting Karzai and wasn't it Karzai who stirred the pot?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
So many on here are saying Jones had the right but yet they want to shut him up.

If you are in the military, are you not there to fight for your and our freedoms?

Should we be bullied into silence by extremists Muslims under the threat of MURDER? I say HELL NO!!! But that is just my opinion.
It’s not "us" just one religious extremist who gets messages from god. Certainly he has the right, so does Reverend Phelps but the sooner they both shut up the better life will be for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies