Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Precious Metals will be worthless in a government collapse...can you eat gold?

If the Government collapses then the only thing that matters is how many guns you have and how many bullets.

You've watched Mad Max and Red Dawn a few too many times.

We have this piece of paper called the Constitution. We the people comprise the governement and can make the choice to follow that Constitution even when our representatives do not. Furthermore we live in states that each have their own Constitutions.

It is a choice to be civilized or violent. Obviously you've shown your choice even without facing a threat yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You've watched Mad Max and Red Dawn a few too many times.

We have this piece of paper called the Constitution. We the people comprise the governement and can make the choice to follow that Constitution even when our representatives do not. Furthermore we live in states that each have their own Constitutions.

It is a choice to be civilized or violent. Obviously you've shown your choice even without facing a threat yet.
You keep believing in the goodness of your fellow man in the absence of government during a collapse.

Me and my family will believe in our friends Smith&Wesson.

Tell me how "choosing" not to get raped and mugged works out for ya.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
1 oz American silver eagles. Is anyone else like me, doesn't really buy into doomsday scenarios, but still thinks things might get a bit worse (state debt defaults, unemployment spike to low teens because of state worker layoffs, potential of QE3). I'm not going nuts here, but I'm pretty much putting 10% of my paychecks into precious metals in case things in Washington start to really run away.

should have started awhile ago, but better llate than never. I have 150# of silver at $11 an ounce at home.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
You keep believing in the goodness of your fellow man in the absence of government during a collapse.

Me and my family will believe in our friends Smith&Wesson.

Tell me how "choosing" not to get raped and mugged works out for ya.
Obviously you pay no attention to my posts or that of which I highlighted of yours.

When did I state I believe in the goodness of my fellow man? I see very little of that on this forum. You assume I don't know how to use firearms effectively? Does it make you feel like a man to thump your chest and boast about your favorite brand of firearm?

The OP may have been a little late buying silver but some form of currency is better than none. Bullets will not buy or barter for everything. Yes, you can eat them but usually only one unless you are a really bad shot at self-infliction. Twice now you have emphasized the use of force over the use of reason when no threat has been presented. Would you use your force of bullets to take the OP's silver from him if the government collapsed? Are you a sociopath waiting for anarchy to happen?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obviously you pay no attention to my posts or that of which I highlighted of yours.

When did I state I believe in the goodness of my fellow man? I see very little of that on this forum. You assume I don't know how to use firearms effectively? Does it make you feel like a man to thump your chest and boast about your favorite brand of firearm?

The OP may have been a little late buying silver but some form of currency is better than none. Bullets will not buy or barter for everything. Yes, you can eat them but usually only one unless you are a really bad shot at self-infliction. Twice now you have emphasized the use of force over the use of reason when no threat has been presented. Would you use your force of bullets to take the OP's silver from him if the government collapsed? Are you a sociopath waiting for anarchy to happen?

You insinuated I watch too much "Mad Max" and "Red Dawn"...so basically your too scared to say you think its crazy that I think the Constitution wont be followed in a GOVERNMENT COLLAPSE.

So rather than having the courage to say that you insinuate it by saying I watch disaster movies..

And Guns and Bullets can barter for EVERYTHING...making them much more valuable than a yellow or silver shiny coin.

If I'm a sociopath for knowing the value of self defense in a GOVERNMENT COLLAPSE then yes by all means...guilty as charged.

I hope someone in your family is there to protect you from your naivete

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
You insinuated I watch too much "Mad Max" and "Red Dawn"...so basically your too scared to say you think its crazy that I think the Constitution wont be followed in a GOVERNMENT COLLAPSE.

So rather than having the courage to say that you insinuate it by saying I watch disaster movies..

And Guns and Bullets can barter for EVERYTHING...making them much more valuable than a yellow or silver shiny coin.

If I'm a sociopath for knowing the value of self defense in a GOVERNMENT COLLAPSE then yes by all means...guilty as charged.

I hope someone in your family is there to protect you from your naivete
The Constitution has been on "ignore" for over fifty years. It is trotted out when there is a provision in it that some politician can use to twist things around to fit his agenda. The Second Amendment and 20,000 gun laws is the perfect example. In some states the law abiding citizen has already been disarmed. Our education system has turned into nothing but a propaganda tool for a bunch of elitists. Take a poll of a large group of teachers and I will bet that over 80% of them would say that a citizen has no right to own a firearm. Maybe I am wrong? But I doubt it.

GL2

Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I bought 150 pounds of silver when it was 9 bucks a ounce, better price then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
should have started awhile ago, but better llate than never. I have 150# of silver at $11 an ounce at home.
That is a lot of silver.

At 9 per ounce: $21,600 to purchase.

At 11 per ounce: $26,400 to purchase.

Heck, you made $4,800 in the time between your two postings.

Anyway, silver is currently around $35, so you stack of silver bars: $84,000.00.

Sell, and buy again when it goes back down.

I myself bought a 100 ounce silver bar back in 1998 or so, for around $5.00 per ounce, then sold two months ago at $38 per ounce (along with a couple of gold Eagles). I have no doubt that it will all again go down; perhaps not to the former low levels, but who knows?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That is a lot of silver.

At 9 per ounce: $21,600 to purchase.

At 11 per ounce: $26,400 to purchase.

Heck, you made $4,800 in the time between your two postings.

Anyway, silver is currently around $35, so you stack of silver bars: $84,000.00.

Sell, and buy again when it goes back down.

I myself bought a 100 ounce silver bar back in 1998 or so, for around $5.00 per ounce, then sold two months ago at $38 per ounce (along with a couple of gold Eagles). I have no doubt that it will all again go down; perhaps not to the former low levels, but who knows?
I am not sure what the prices for U.S. silver coins are now but in 1978(?) or so I sold some U.S. minted (pre 1964 Silver) coins for 15 times their face value. In other words a dime = $1.50. I don't know what that figures out to now. I think the price of silver peaked in about 1979 at around 22 times face value. I have no idea what that is at todays $35/ounce price.
GL2

Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
A lot of people on this thread making comments about the hoarding of silver or gold coins being a waste of time. That if there is total collapse of the economy with worthless dollars, they'd rather have bread or gasoline.
But if you want bread or gasoline, those that have it are not going to give it away for free.
If a person had a 5000 gal gasoline tank hidden somewhere, would they take silver and gold coins or a box full of $100 bills for a gallon of gasoline?
If a person had 1000, 1 gal containers of water, would they accept silver & gold coins or a check?
If a person had a garage full of loaves of bread, cans of tuna and jars of peanut butter, would they take silver and gold coins or your credit card?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Yaaawwwwwnnn.

I bought silver when it was $5/ounce.

bullion & coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies