Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'd go for the feathers first, for arrows, and maybe the shells second. Maybe gold depending on how hard it was.

Your argument is flawed. In the end, we're killing each other. And I need things to kill others with.

Paper? Give me a break.
What is flawed about my argument? Or is that just the stereotypical talking point people make when they don't have one to counter themselves. Simply put, gold and silver evolved to become media of exchange. Feathers aren't going to do that.

I'm not buying up silver and gold coins so I can stare at them, I'm buying them up so the value of my earnings can be maintained. If you want to invest in feathers and shells by all means do so. They're really going to help you out in the post-dollar dominated world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I have to agree with the OP. there really isn't a great deal of value for the metal, it is heavy and very soft.

Do people place a value on it... yes. why..I have no idea.

no different than diamonds, except diamonds aren't rare at all just falsely perceived as so, thank you De Beers
Gold does not oxidize, it is maliable, and, it can be adapted to use in any number of applications.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,546,616 times
Why not buy very rare metals?

There are metals rarer than gold and still used.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the OP. there really isn't a great deal of value for the metal, it is heavy and very soft.
Very soft is an advantage. Can be easily melted and re-cast (great for smuggling if government ever got that bad).

Quote:
We mentioned reasons repeatedly. If you don't like the reasons, too bad. Don't buy any.

Quote:
no different than diamonds, except diamonds aren't rare at all just falsely perceived as so, thank you De Beers
Diamonds cannot be reconstituted nor melted down, and you're right...its value is artificially inflated due to a cartel. Not so true with gold.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,218,046 times
My gold comes in cans of food, a big garden, small livestock, tools, guns and ammo for hunting, and the land I live on.

But, hey, what the hell do I know, I'm just another one of those wacko preppers who believes in tangibles being worth more than any precious metal when you and your kids show up at my door with empty bellies and some gold bars to trade.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
My gold comes in cans of food, a big garden, small livestock, tools, guns and ammo for hunting, and the land I live on.

But, hey, what the hell do I know, I'm just another one of those wacko preppers who believes in tangibles being worth more than any precious metal when you and your kids show up at my door with empty bellies and some gold bars to trade.
You would GLADLY give up your goodies for the mellow yellow in any high inflation scenario. That is, unless you like watching your perishables that you cannot pickle or preserve rot away.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM

86 posts, read 136,135 times
Default Negotiable currency since the beginning of recorded history

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It seems to me that gold has no more intrinsic value than Conch shells, eagle feathers or dare I say it, paper money. As a commodity of exchange, you can't eat it, you can't heat your house with it, although it makes for a better rock to throw as a weapon but other than that... In the dooms day scenarios so pervasive amongst dystopian theorist I would no more exchange a pound of gold for a kernel of corn than I would for a ton of scrap iron... actually the scrap iron might have more value since I could at least make utensils out of the scrap metal.

"Gee, I don't get it." You hear this a lot in some circles....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsyS0oHLNFA

See this video entitled, "Navin Johnson learns the difference between sh*t and shinola" for use as a training video first of all.

That link put out there about the difference between sh*t and shinola was actually an important learning tool in helping to understand the fiat currency system. Throughout recorded history, the gold and silver standard have been there. One fine day in American history (which is only a few hundred years old rather than a few thousand), a group of politicians decided to go off the gold standard because it "inconvenienced" them. The fiat currency system was born! People were just supposed to have faith in it's value, faith that those little green pieces of paper were "good as gold" and backed by the Government because it was no longer backed in physical gold held by the Nation's treasury.

This went worldwide and the complexities of the global economy have become that much MORE complex in modern history with a major part of this being that the fiat currency system leaves quite a bit of room for "anomalies", manipulation by Governmental entities and imposition of Government control over all wealth. The current global economy has in fact been referred to by leading economists as a "giant and elaborate ponzi scheme" that has no other option but to default somewhere along the line and at some point.

Theoretically speaking, if a global economic "meltdown" did occur the only feasible option would be to fall back onto a gold and silver standard! "Back to basics" so to speak. You could wake up one morning to find that all currency is rendered invalid and that now we are to be issued some sort of different currency... you could be told that instead of having 10,000 dollars in the bank, you now have 1000 "Patriot dollars" instead. The fiat currency system allows for manipulations that were not as possible with gold-backed currency and considerably more control of currency issue and currency related matters by the Government! Smaller Governments, such as Turkey have changed their currency over in the past in it's entirety and declared the old currency worthless beyond a certain point in time, allowing for the Government to keep exact tabs and controls on currency in circulation and basically know where it all is. Citizens had to turn in their old currency for the new issue. The fiat currency system allows for absolute control of wealth by the Government and that's exactly how they want it! For many years it was illegal to own gold or stockpile gold in the US... Why would they do this? To have absolute control over the masses and control of economic matters, of course!

Currency issues over time and through the ages have come and gone, have been changed drastically, have been rendered all but worthless in some instances even! Gold and silver have remained constant though as far as being negotiable regardless of what is going on with the fiat currency system. My strong sense of being well diversified tells me to have not only a stack of currency there but also a stack of gold and silver bars because I like to have all my bases covered. Regardless of what may occur with the fiat currency system, gold and silver will hold their value. In the case of a hyperinflation situation it will increase in value to astronomical amounts. In the case of a restructuring of global economies of any type due to stupidity or negligence on the part of those people that have been running the fiat currency system, gold and silver will be a major influence of any monetary restructuring as it has throughout recorded history.

I left all this in broad-brush generalizations to keep it simple and easy to read but I have studied economics in depth for many years, not just last week's stock tickler, not just recent history... but going all the way back to when they were minting tetradrachm silver coins in Tyre, Phoencia. This, my son... is shinola.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

Always diversify.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,429,306 times
Quote:

Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times
Gold has had a pretty good run the past several years. Maybe if you hold it, it's a good time to sell. After it drops, buy it back at the lower price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies