Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
If you haven't noticed every other channel is WET. You list the black themed shows not on BET and get back to me. Should blacks never be allowed to see themselves portrayed positively on TV?

WHy is a black guy who has an opinion, "the angry black guy"?

FYI...Places like Historically Black Colleges and Universities(HBCUs) and BET were created because blacks were not allowed to attend school with whites or have (positive)african-american themed shows on broadcast TV.

As I think..not much has changed, especially on TV.

The CW (NOT BET) shows things like:
Bernie Mac show
Everybody Hates Chris
Judge Joe Brown
Judge Mathis
Living Single
All of Us
Divorce Court
Girlfriends(?)
Martin
One on One

Now. since ALL stations except BET are technically WET, name a couple of shows on BET that are primarily white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
I don't see what's the big deal about BET. It's really no different than Lifetime or MTV in that it caters to a certain demographic group. It's all about making $$$$$$$$$$$$!!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Dave Chappel insults blacks as equally as he does everyone else
as far as media personalities go.....
I move around alot. If I see a rebel or #3 flag, or a bigfoot type pick-up
truck with a decal of a little kid pee-ing on something, I move on immediately....
Next...This neighborhoods not for me. As a Lily-Whitie, does that make me
a racist or a bigot ?
that would leave out about ALL the state of AR-lol, if you count all three

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
So according to most of you, the majority of white people are not racists and never were. A black woman has the same chance to be as successful as a white man. Men and woman make equal salaries for the same job. The owner of a TV network has no control over programming. White people are the minority in America. Black men with opinions are angry. White men have every right to complain about being white in the work force even though corporate america is majority white men. Blacks are the ONLY one keeping themselves down. The only way to keep people down is by enslaving them.
There is no WET, just 698 channels of programming for white people. BET is racist against whites for being the first channel to have programming for blacks. Reverse racism is not the opposite of forward racism. The black man is to blame for everything wrong and finally, slavery has no affect on human beings on either side of the fence.

So I guess your argument is that blacks are inferior, unintelligent, animalistic beasts ever since Africa where human life started. Hmmmmmmmmmm, why am I not suprised.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm, why am I not suprised.
Because you are looking for racism. And everything is a race issue to you. Or you are just trolling.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Default Choices

Quote:
So according to most of you, the majority of white people are not racists and never were. A black woman has the same chance to be as successful as a white man. Men and woman make equal salaries for the same job. The owner of a TV network has no control over programming. White people are the minority in America. Black men with opinions are angry. White men have every right to complain about being white in the work force even though corporate america is majority white men. Blacks are the ONLY one keeping themselves down. The only way to keep people down is by enslaving them.
There is no WET, just 698 channels of programming for white people. BET is racist against whites for being the first channel to have programming for blacks. Reverse racism is not the opposite of forward racism. The black man is to blame for everything wrong and finally, slavery has no affect on human beings on either side of the fence.

So I guess your argument is that blacks are inferior, unintelligent, animalistic beasts ever since Africa where human life started. Hmmmmmmmmmm, why am I not suprised.
All valid "charges", PPG, and your frustration is shared by many---however, every one of us has a choice, and we are forced to pick ONLY ONE of these two options, and they are...

(1) We can stew in our anger and frustration and righteous, very well-founded dislike of the treatment our ancestors had to undergo. We can let this color our entire attitude toward life, and refuse to consider even the POSSIBILITY that anyone out there is "on our side". Those choosing this option can rest assured that they will never run out of reasons to feel angry. They will always be able to find racism out there--and some of the nicest people will be seen for what they REALLY are, and that is "closet racists". The possibilties for racism are never-ending, and no "solution" is possible, because racists are everywhere.

(2) On the other hand, we can think selfishly of improving ourselves. We can "do the right thing", live exemplary lives, and refuse to give "power" to the racists. We can acknowledge the fact that racists are now in full retreat, rapidly losing their credibility, and we can realize that the way WE live our lives can make the racists look even MORE foolish than they already do.
I live near possibly the largest concentration of Vietnamese people on earth, outside of Vietnam. They've been here more-or-less for 30 years. Their behavior makes it EXTEREMELY DIFFICULT for the racists, because they give the racists absolutely no "ammunition". The best arguments the racists can come up with, end up just sounding silly--and as a result, the racists have largely just shut up about it. One gets the feeling that the Vietnamese community doesn't spend too much time worrying about who likes and dislikes them--and as a result, one can't HELP but respect them...They are a racist's worst nightmare. Perhaps their example would could be an inspiration to the rest of us...
All the best to you....
PS, as for your remark about "698 channels of TV for white people", I am white, and I can assure you that THIS white person is not remotely interested in about 690 of those channels---you have misjudged at least one of us

Old 07-31-2007, 01:28 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
See... I told you he was the angry black guy. But noooo, don't believe WSW, he's just here to give you B-rate stock tips, haha.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Here, I thought I'd clear up some of that for you, PPG. Here are my answers to the true-false test you just presented, with one short-answer at the end. Hope this helps.

Quote:
So according to most of you, the majority of white people are not racists and never were. true

A black woman has the same chance to be as successful as a white man. true

Men and woman make equal salaries for the same job. false

The owner of a TV network has no control over programming. false. By the way, BET is currently headed by a black woman.

White people are the minority in America. false

Black men with opinions are angry. false

White men have every right to complain about being white in the work force even though corporate america is majority white men. true

Blacks are the ONLY one keeping themselves down. false

The only way to keep people down is by enslaving them. false

There is no WET true

just 698 channels of programming for white people. false

BET is racist against whites for being the first channel to have programming for blacks. false

Reverse racism is not the opposite of forward racism. true, "forward racism" is a made-up term with no meaning

The black man is to blame for everything wrong false

and finally, slavery has no affect on human beings on either side of the fence. false

So I guess your argument is that blacks are inferior, unintelligent, animalistic beasts ever since Africa where human life started. false

Hmmmmmmmmmm, why am I not suprised. because rather than listening to the arguments presented, you are instead putting words in everyone's mouths.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
BET is actually owned by white people...

Rich ones, too.

It's a pretty crappy station. Nothing but awful music videos and stupid shows...

Regardless, I see the double standard. If there WAS something called "WET" it would somehow be considered racist...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
The CW (NOT BET) shows things like:
Bernie Mac show
Everybody Hates Chris
Judge Joe Brown
Judge Mathis
Living Single
All of Us
Divorce Court
Girlfriends(?)
Martin
One on One

Now. since ALL stations except BET are technically WET, name a couple of shows on BET that are primarily white.
Please..Every show you named that is not a Court show with one black Judge has been canceled. Not one current (sitcom) show on broadcast T.V. Thanks for proving my point.

With WET consisting of 900 or more stations, why does BET have to have a white themed show. Get a grip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies