Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Sorry, but didn't you learn at age 3 that just because everyone else is doing something, doesn't mean its right. Simply put, we enshrined life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in our founding documents. Which part of life don't you get? Is it the L? maybe the I is throwing you off? Actually, you probably pay way too much attention to the I because abortion is selfish. Nevermind, ranting...
Get over yourself. Look, if most every nation in the world banned abortion you would very, very passionately believe that the RIGHT thing was done. RIGHT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
LOL @ people who think because something is legal, it's also moral and ethical.
Also LOL@ people who think morals and ethics are universally recognized, and never change.

God ordered a man to kill his own son.

Here's God again on the subject:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...32&version=NIV

They set up their vile images in the house that bears my Name and defiled it. 35 They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters to Molek, though I never commanded—nor did it enter my mind—that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_of_Isaac

Even God doesn't know what he wants to do with people. Sacrifice one day, never entered my mind the other day.
Heh.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So if banning abortion is so right and good before God, then name me one country you wish you could live in because there abortion is banned. I bet you can't do it.
I don't wish to live anywhere other than the US, but I don't think Ireland would be that much worse.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
It'll be shot down as Unconstitutional as the Supreme court has already weighed in on the issue. Roe v. Wade .. these legislators need to go back to school and read the Constitution.
This is kind of a silly thing to say. Do you even know what part of the constitution supposedly makes abortions legal? Do you?

Why is abortion legal, but private drug use in your own home is illegal? More importantly, why did it take an amendment to the constitution to prohibit alcohol, but the federal government can pass a simple legislative act to make hundreds of other drugs illegal?

The truth is, the Roe v. Wade decision was nothing more than a loaded supreme court legislating from the bench. It was the "living document" constitutional doctrine at its finest.

Scalia: Abortion not in the Constitution | LifeSiteNews.com

Roe v. Wade was social engineering masquerading as a supreme court ruling. Abortion is simply not a constitutional matter. If the states recognize a person at the moment of conception, then they are a person, and guaranteed the rights of a person. The only way to argue against it is to try to define what is and what isn't a person. Which will always end in futile speculation and assumptions.

States rights people. Learn it. It is what our country was founded on, hence why it is called the "United STATES of America", not some singular word like Brazil, Mexico, Canada, etc. If we were meant to be ruled by a single federal entity, I'm sure the founding fathers would have come up with a different name.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This is kind of a silly thing to say. Do you even know what part of the constitution supposedly makes abortions legal? Do you?
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

It's called equal protection as defined in the 14th Amendment. As long as I'm free to do as I wish, within the LAWS of the land.

The laws of this land, as stated by the Supreme Court, says that ABORTION is legal in this country as protected under the 14th Amendment.

YOU do know that the 14th Amendment is a part of our US Constitution right?

Quote:
Why is abortion legal, but private drug use in your own home is illegal?
Abortion only affects one person. Illegal drugs affect many, not just the person who is using it. A person high on illegal drugs can potentially harm another person, or even kill another person while under the effects (example: driving a car while high). They also can affect others financially (stealing), and drive up costs to others (intervention)

Abortion affects no one but the person who elects to have the procedure done.

Quote:
More importantly, why did it take an amendment to the constitution to prohibit alcohol, but the federal government can pass a simple legislative act to make hundreds of other drugs illegal?
And that Amendment was done away by ANOTHER amendment.

Illegal drugs are controlled by the FDA, which has sole authority on enforcement as granted by CONGRESS. The Constitution allows for CONGRESS to form agencies/law enforcement entities to enforce laws.

Quote:
The truth is, the Roe v. Wade decision was nothing more than a loaded supreme court legislating from the bench. It was the "living document" constitutional doctrine at its finest.

Quote:
Scalia: Abortion not in the Constitution | LifeSiteNews.com

Roe v. Wade was social engineering masquerading as a supreme court ruling.
Again

Read the Court decision again. Scalia has his opinions, however its the minority opinion.

Quote:
Abortion is simply not a constitutional matter.
Wrong. It about privacy rights and what a woman is allowed to do with her own body.

Anyone who says otherwise, is just hiding the fact that they consider women 2nd class citizens.

Quote:
If the states recognize a person at the moment of conception, then they are a person, and guaranteed the rights of a person.
Then that would make women who have miscarriages murderers as well. Well, damn, MOTHER NATURE (or GOD for those that believe) murderers.

This is why this kind of legislation is dangerous.

That would also make the "morning after pill" illegal as well.

Once you assign personhood to a clump of cells, then we may as well just make women the brood whores that you want us to be.

Cause that is all these laws are for. To make women feel as if they are nothing more than whores; nothing more than breeding vessels and 2nd class citizens. That the "rights" over 2 cells have more rights over her LIFE.

Quote:
The only way to argue against it is to try to define what is and what isn't a person. Which will always end in futile speculation and assumptions.
]

Its already defined by law. A person is someone who is LIVING and BREATHING.

Quote:
States rights people. Learn it.
Federal LAW people. Learn it. States cannot create or pass laws that go against FEDERAL Law.

Quote:
It is what our country was founded on, hence why it is called the "United STATES of America"
OUr country was founded on the principles of freedom from OPRESSIVE governments that seek to CONTROL every aspect of our lives.

Such laws as the one proposed GOES AGAINST the very reason why the USA was formed. By controlling women by taking AWAY their rights, you're essentially going back to what our fore fathers ESCAPED from.

Quote:
not some singular word like Brazil, Mexico, Canada, etc. If we were meant to be ruled by a single federal entity, I'm sure the founding fathers would have come up with a different name.
We are "ruled" by a single Entity. its called the FEDERAL government, where Abortion is defined as being legal.

The Supreme Court ruled that STATES can limit the TIME of when abortions can be performed, but the procedure itself is not illegal to perform.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Just waiting for someone to post the Monty Python "Every sperm is sacred" clip.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Alabama legislators have introduced bills that would grant personhood to fetuses from the moment of conception—and they appear to have a lot of support. One bill, introduced in both the House and Senate, would amend the Alabama Code of 1975 to alter the definition, while another House bill would amend Alabama’s constitution to the same effect, the American Independent reports.

New bills in Alabama would grant personhood at the 'moment of fertilization' | The American Independent
Alabama could pass a law making turtles "persons" that does not change the United State's constitutional definition of viable fetus currently accepted.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Also LOL@ people who think morals and ethics are universally recognized, and never change.

God ordered a man to kill his own son.

Here's God again on the subject:
Jeremiah 32 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version, ©2011 - BibleGateway.com

They set up their vile images in the house that bears my Name and defiled it. 35 They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters to Molek, though I never commanded—nor did it enter my mind—that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.

Binding of Isaac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even God doesn't know what he wants to do with people. Sacrifice one day, never entered my mind the other day.
Heh.
You left out these:

Psalm 137 "O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us—
he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

Hosea 13:16 "Samaria shall bear her guilt; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword; their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
It's about time the states simply ignore the federal beast and do the right thing.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
sorry, but what babies were murdered? Cause aborition isn't murder not matter how much you want to lie that it is.
When you willfully deny someone the right to live, you have murdered them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies