Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times

Advertisements

Huh. Putting off surgery for months due to restrictions? Sounds like my mother who couldn't get back surgery for a near-herniated disk because her insurance demanded she go through two months of physical therapy first and she didn't have the funds (thanks to being out of work because of it) to pay for the surgery outright. So, thanks to insurance, she spent two months in agonizing pain for a surgery that fixed the problem immediately.

So what makes the UK different from the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Huh. Putting off surgery for months due to restrictions? Sounds like my mother who couldn't get back surgery for a near-herniated disk because her insurance demanded she go through two months of physical therapy first and she didn't have the funds (thanks to being out of work because of it) to pay for the surgery outright. So, thanks to insurance, she spent two months in agonizing pain for a surgery that fixed the problem immediately.

The per-capita cost is 40% of what we pay, average life expectancy is marginally higher and infant mortality lower.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
So the future of healtcare in the US is the exact same as it is now?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
Here is the opposite side of the coin. Rural Health Plans Initiative in Colorado has gone belly up. The CEO is facing 20 years in prison. Dozens of employers and thousands of their employees are not covered and now they have millions in bills they will have to pay on their own.

This comes on the heels last year of UnitedHealthcare in Co. denying coverage because a baby was too fat and a different child being too thin.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Billions for surgery. Not one dollar for prevention.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

Not even close to the same.

Waiting around and doing nothing does not compare to trying alternative cures that would by much less invasive.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The per-capita cost is 40% of what we pay, average life expectancy is marginally higher and infant mortality lower.

Those are unrelated numbers.

There are many much bigger contributors to life expectancy than health care.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
So, this is about "routine" surgeries and things like knee and hip replacements that have nothing to do with mortality rates, correct?

If I lived in any country that had universal health care, it would be clear to me (as they've always stated) that these types of surgeries have the lowest priority. The most acutely ill are taken care of first. I would definitely be purchasing a private policy to ride along side my universal health care if I wanted to insure I got faster treatment for more elective types of operations.

I think U.S. healthcare and treatment speed WAS excellent in the country up until the early 90s. I think, these days, it's getting rather sucky. It takes up to 3 months to get in to see an endocrinologist in my area and that is already knowing you have thyroid cancer. It took my aunt 2 months just to get in the door of an orthopedic surgeon for her bad knee and another 7 months to get on the surgical schedule.

In certain areas of the country where the doctor to patient ratio is "off", we are not doing much better.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Billions for surgery. Not one dollar for prevention.
Not much you can do to "prevent" an accident at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not even close to the same.

Waiting around and doing nothing does not compare to trying alternative cures that would by much less invasive.
When she had already been going to PT 3x a week for two weeks and received steroid injections only to have her back worsen... she had to undergo two months of literal torture because "trying alternatives" is better than sitting around, doing nothing, and not worsening it? ((Take into account, that the "approved" PT office was 25 miles from her house and upped to 4x a week))

Ever seen a person with a near-herniated disk so badly off that they appeared to have lost 4-5 inches in height?

Though, the article doesn't say that these patients were "doing nothing". If anything, the only thing it says is "simply delaying surgery by one means or another does not improve the outcome for patients as their condition can deteriorate." Which, I'm deducing that "one means or another" would be something like offering physical therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, imagine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
So the future of healtcare in the US is the exact same as it is now?
Exactly what I'm thinking. Every single "horror" story presented about a country with "socialized medicine" is already happening in our current system.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Those are unrelated numbers.

There are many much bigger contributors to life expectancy than health care.
Blah blah blah ......

Keep paying America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies